Best OMF matress to buy to add a topper to later?
Apr 28, 2013 2:15 AM
I realize nobody can tell me what the most comfortable mattress for me is going to be. But I'm wondering if anyone is familiar enough with Original Mattress Factory mattresses to offer advice on if there are any design issues that will make certain mattresses better or worse for toppers to be added to later?

I really, really liked the Orthopedic Pillowtop mattress in the store. But from what I've read and personal experiences, I'm too worried about the pillowtop sagging after a couple of years to buy one.  

And it's my understanding, once your pillowtop wears out, adding a topper on top of your pillowtop isn't an option that works very well.

So, pillowtops are out I'm thinking.

Now the Orthopedic Luxury Firm doesn't have a pillowtop and I was able to lay down on it very comfortably at the store.It's close to my ideal mattress. And I was very happy with it, until I laid down on some of the pillow-tops. Big difference!

My concern about the Orthopedic Luxury Firm is it does have some padding on top of the mattress, although not as much as a pillow-top.And I'm concerned this padding will wear out, just like a pillowtop would and adding a topper to it later will be almost as futile as adding a topper to a worn out pillowtop would be. But, I really don't know.

And I'm trying to remember, but can't remember for sure. But I think at some angles, the Orthopedic Luxury Firm had a slight feeling of being pushed off the side of the bed when you were laying at certain angles. Would that "pushing off the side of the bed" feeling mean that any topper would also have a tendency to slide off?

The next step up in firmness in the Original Mattress Factory line is the Orthopedic Extra Firm. And when I laid on that bed, it was okay, but felt a touch stiff.

Basically, right now, I'm thinking I'd like to get the Orthopedic Luxury Firm, but that little bit of extra padding, in the store they have those cut-outs and it looked like it may only be an inch extra of padding over the Extra Firm mattress... I'm wondeiring if that extra inch of padding makes the Luxury Firm less suitable for adding a topper to later?

If it does make it less suitable, I guess I could get the Orthopedic Extra Firm mattress and just make sure I never sleep on it without a topper...

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking now. Knoweldgable people, please feel free to correct any errors in logic you may see in my reasoning. And please let me know of the Luxury Firm is any less suitable for a topper than the Extra Firm would be.

I think the reason the Orthopedic Luxury Firm has the word luxury in its name is because that extra little bit of padding on the outsides on the mattress, but I don't know. ("Outsides" is plural in that last sentence because it's a two-sided mattress.)

This message was modified Apr 28, 2013 by levander
Re: Best OMF matress to buy to add a topper to later?
Reply #2 Apr 28, 2013 6:15 PM
levander wrote:

Really if someone just has a good idea of any general guidelines for the maximum amount of padding you want on a firm mattress you are going to put a topper on later, that would be enough info.

I can find out at the Original Mattress Factory store how many inches (or half-inches..) of padding is on their Orthopedic Luxury Firm mattress and compare.

The comfort layer should cradle your body (filling/supporting in all gaps), distributing your weight as much as possible across the support layer below.  The comfort layer should be thick and firm enough to do this for your sleeping profile and weight.  A typical side sleeping profile gap could require 2-4", 3" average of comfort thickness.  A heavier person will require firmer comfort than alighter person.  If the support layer below is not very much firmer than the comfort layer, or has progressive firmness, becoming more firm as it compresses (like Latex), then the comfort layer can be less thick and will borrow some comfort from the support layer.

If you can evaluate your situation, you may be able to decide how thick and firm the comfort layer is, how firm the support layer is/behaves, and then how much additional topper you can add without making the total comfort layer too thick/too soft such that you sag in it before reaching the spinal support you need from the support layer.

One approach is to buy the mattress for its support and then build the comfort layer you need/want on top.  This can avoid pillow tops that prematurely fail, and allow you to customize/build/rebuild the comfort layer at will.  Some recommend finding a local/old school reputable mattress maker to source a mattress with a solid support layer and little comfort layer to begin with.

GK

Reply #3 May 1, 2013 9:27 PM
As for OMF and general guidelines, I will give you my opinion.  I am a latex fan and sleep on a zoned all latex mattress.  So my suggestion for a less expensive mattress is to buy a firm mattress from OMF with as little polyurethane foam as possible because that is what sags very quickly especially on pillow top type mattresses. I would aim for 1/2 inch of polyfoam (or less, if possible).  I've had experience with it on a Simmons World Class pillow top that sagged and started hurting my back within 1.5 years.  I have also had experience with OMF.  They make good mattresses EXCEPT for the poly foam on top.  They actually have Latex mattresses but there is some polyfoam on top and they are not inexpensive.  In fact that's what I advised my daughter to do.  She went to OMF and bought a fairly firm inner spring mattress (I don't remember which but it wasn't the firmest) but it had very little poly foam.  Then we got her a 3 inch latex topper to put on top.  So far, so good.  Whether it is 2 or 3 inches and which ILD latex will vary depending on how you sleep and your weight.  I think she is sleeping on a 28 ILD 3 inch latex layer.  You could start with a 2 inch layer and add another inch or two but use the mattress as a foundation for the comfort layer as mentioned above.  Good luck.  You can find good latex toppers from a variety of on-line sources, Sleeps Like a Bear, Sleepez, mattresses.net, etc.   Do a search for latex toppers on this forum and you will find plenty of sources.
This message was modified May 3, 2013 by Sall
Reply #4 May 10, 2013 10:23 AM
I would like to know this as well. My mattress is too hard and I need something softer even to put one 3" latex on. Would OMF be the way to go?

Recent Posts