Best OMF matress to buy to add a topper to later?
Apr 28, 2013 2:15 AM
I realize nobody can tell me what the most comfortable mattress for me is going to be. But I'm wondering if anyone is familiar enough with Original Mattress Factory mattresses to offer advice on if there are any design issues that will make certain mattresses better or worse for toppers to be added to later?

I really, really liked the Orthopedic Pillowtop mattress in the store. But from what I've read and personal experiences, I'm too worried about the pillowtop sagging after a couple of years to buy one.  

And it's my understanding, once your pillowtop wears out, adding a topper on top of your pillowtop isn't an option that works very well.

So, pillowtops are out I'm thinking.

Now the Orthopedic Luxury Firm doesn't have a pillowtop and I was able to lay down on it very comfortably at the store.It's close to my ideal mattress. And I was very happy with it, until I laid down on some of the pillow-tops. Big difference!

My concern about the Orthopedic Luxury Firm is it does have some padding on top of the mattress, although not as much as a pillow-top.And I'm concerned this padding will wear out, just like a pillowtop would and adding a topper to it later will be almost as futile as adding a topper to a worn out pillowtop would be. But, I really don't know.

And I'm trying to remember, but can't remember for sure. But I think at some angles, the Orthopedic Luxury Firm had a slight feeling of being pushed off the side of the bed when you were laying at certain angles. Would that "pushing off the side of the bed" feeling mean that any topper would also have a tendency to slide off?

The next step up in firmness in the Original Mattress Factory line is the Orthopedic Extra Firm. And when I laid on that bed, it was okay, but felt a touch stiff.

Basically, right now, I'm thinking I'd like to get the Orthopedic Luxury Firm, but that little bit of extra padding, in the store they have those cut-outs and it looked like it may only be an inch extra of padding over the Extra Firm mattress... I'm wondeiring if that extra inch of padding makes the Luxury Firm less suitable for adding a topper to later?

If it does make it less suitable, I guess I could get the Orthopedic Extra Firm mattress and just make sure I never sleep on it without a topper...

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking now. Knoweldgable people, please feel free to correct any errors in logic you may see in my reasoning. And please let me know of the Luxury Firm is any less suitable for a topper than the Extra Firm would be.

I think the reason the Orthopedic Luxury Firm has the word luxury in its name is because that extra little bit of padding on the outsides on the mattress, but I don't know. ("Outsides" is plural in that last sentence because it's a two-sided mattress.)

This message was modified Apr 28, 2013 by levander

Recent Posts