Been to several stores, hours spent reading reviews, brain has turned to jelly, help!
Feb 23, 2011 8:31 PM
Decided to research latex after reading Tempurpedic might not be the choice for asthmatics.  Seemed simple, but wasn't.  Thought I wanted the 100% natural, but checked around and got more recommendations for the blended latex.  Gave up the internet for a few days and looked at latex-regular type mattress combinations.  I asked for the specs on one bed the salesperson said had latex in it and the specs did not mention latex, but they called the rep who insisted it was there.  Well, geez -  guess I had my "just got off the turnip truck" clothes on.  Back to the internet.  Got some info from sleep like the dead, so checked on Sleep EZ.  They said the blended latex was THE best way to go, but recommended a latex supplier I was not familiar with.  Back to the drawing board.  Tried another Arizona company, Mattress.net, very inexpensive for a 6+ inch core, and a 2" topper, but had an dicey rating with the BBB.  I found  this site today, read until my eyes gave out.  Realize I will have to work on  what firmness I need or how many layers, but first have to choose a good company that has latex from another good company.....I do live in the Phoenix area, so both of the above options would be good for me.  A local company could mean a lot of savings to return or swap. I really think Sleep EZ is my best choice, but...this foam thing has got me concerned. I don't know how specific I can be on this site, so am skirting around identifying the two foam companies, but read there were only two, so figure you know what I mean.   Thanks
Re: Been to several stores, hours spent reading reviews, brain has turned to jelly, help!
Reply #1 Feb 24, 2011 6:41 PM
Check out R@S Mattress - We have been looking too and I tried two yesterday - the Brooklyn Bedding Hannah (Latex layer on Innerspring) which we liked and the Brooklyn Bedding Bliss (8" Latex) which I wanted to like, but was too soft for my liking. They did say that they could make the Bliss in a firmer version.  AHven't been to Arizona Mattress or SleepEZ so far.

I have ordered the Hannah, but I'm having secong thoughts about going for the Bliss instead - specially since the price difference is very small and better than the online prices.

Stats - me 5'9" ,160 lbs, side / back /stomach sleeper :) , prefer firm.  she - 5'6", 100 lbs, side sleeper, prefers medium to firm.

Any suggestion for me from the experts? Any advice would be appreciated.

This message was modified Feb 24, 2011 by wrox
Re: Been to several stores, hours spent reading reviews, brain has turned to jelly, help!
Reply #2 Feb 24, 2011 10:41 PM
Thanks wrox, have got one of those stores over in Mesa on Power Road, will check it out.  Eleep EZ is on Scottsdlale Road, and off the Red Mountain Freeway.  (I think, husband was driving!). Probably will get there, did hope for some feedback on Radium Foam, but guess I did not make my post very clear.  I had gone  in thinking everyone used Latex International, guess not.  Good luck, keep me posted.
Reply #3 Feb 25, 2011 8:15 PM
Trilogy, been some time since I visited the site and caught your post/question.  I bought a latex mattress last summer and couldn't be more happy.  IMO I'd be more concerned about manufacturing process than whether the latex is natural or synthetic.  I'm aware of 2 different processes, the Dunlop and Talalay.  The Dunlop is the older process.  The Talalay process does a better job of insuring even distribution of the bubbles in the foaming and results in a more precise and consistant foam than found with the Dunlop.  There is only one co in the USA that makes latex foam by the Talalay process.  Any mattress co making a mattres from the Talalay type foam buys from this one co IF they use USA made foam.  We did get several negitive comments about using foriegn made foam and some are of pretty poor qlty.

You are right in questioning the construction of a mattress.  How much latex, density, type, if layered the make-up of each layer.  When we were looking I got the impression mattress sales people came from the used car market.  Had one store try and direct us to an old line US mattress co.  Had a great sale going on but just for next day or two.  Spotted a sample cross section of the mattress and out of a 12" think mattress, there was 1-2" of latex sandwiched in the middle of poorly placed poly-foam.

You may want to give some consideration as to the mattress cover.  The latest and greatest is Bamboo fabric and found on numerous brands on their upper end models.  Very soft and does a great job of wicking away body moisture.

We ended up buying a Sewda ReNu mattress from Lady Americana.  They offer 3 different models of differing firmness and layered materials.  we chose the softest model and is more than firm enough for us.  Still have no regrets on choosing latex or the Sewda brand.

Good luck on your search.

This message was modified Feb 25, 2011 by webfoot
Reply #4 Mar 3, 2011 11:45 AM
Thank you Webfoot for your kind and informative reply.  Wish I had seen it yesterday, as I would have surely checked out the one that your purchased.  I had given up, it was too daunting a project for me. I spent hours reading this site, and still was confused.  So I just ordered a Tempur-pedic yesteday.  Time will tell.  Thanks again for checking on the posts and responding to those that need help.  God Bless!
Reply #5 Mar 3, 2011 11:47 AM
Webfoot, one more note.  The talalay foam they recommened was made by Radium?? 
Reply #6 Mar 3, 2011 1:47 PM
I'm a LONG way from being an expert on this subject.  Only know what I learned while searching for our new mattress.

Have not heard of of the company you mentioned so can't offer any comments.

One thing I've not mentioned previously is the price we paid.  Gave $1300 for mattress and matching foundation.  Mattress is something like 12"-13" thick and has a foundation of poly foam.  All the latex is made by the Talalay process, upper third of the cover is Bamboo.

Took a look at a dealer that offers the make-up of the mattress and I see some changes from when we bought.  Can't say that today's offering is the same as we purchased.  See from this dealer the mattress comes rolled up with ziper cover.  Now it may be possible the mattress comes made up and as compressed roll.

Recent Posts