Bed shopping
Mar 14, 2010 9:47 PM
Need some help. W have a 10 year old Sleep Number bed and have had the foam and side rails replaced. We decided it was time for a new bed as we were really not happy with the bed.

after shopping we got a Nexgel bed and after 3 weeks are not sleeping well. The bed is a double gel and I feel like I'm bottoming out. We returned the bed and are thinking about a Allurabed from Tempur--pedic with a Ergo system. I have some problems with neck and back pain{two neck fusions} and have a hard time sleeping.I know there is not a magic bed that will fix my back but is the Allurabed going to at least be the best route. I know it's expensive but I don't want to keep returning beds. The temp bed get's a lot of bad reviews but I wonder if it's from manufactuers and team players.

This message was modified Mar 14, 2010 by Phil
Re: Bed shopping
Reply #3 Apr 22, 2010 10:54 PM
This might sound like a very personal question, but I think given the mattress you are currently on I should ask, what is your body height and weight? 

The DoubleGel beds from Nexgel are supposed to work well for "larger" people....however it seems there is a limit to everything, Tempur-Pedic models included.  The Allura will likely provide more support than any other bed Tempur makes outside of the Grand.  But I think if you bottom out on a Nexgel...eventually this would happen on an Allura too....but I could be wrong, the beds are very different animals. 

Re: Bed shopping
Reply #4 Apr 27, 2010 7:02 AM
I have not figured out how to post a new thread on this site, so I am posting this here. Once you have studied this site and figured out what bed you want, then discovered that you cannot afford it, try craigslist. big cities have so much turnover that new and almost new beds are being sold at ridiculously low prices. with latex, you do not have to worry about bugs or dustmites, only mold, but if the bed has been on an aerated foundation you should be okay. here is an example. right now on nyc craiglsist there is a brand new handmade beckley lambswool bed for sale still in the wrapper.850 guy ordered it then had a change of plans. half price for a top of the line beckley. a one year old handmade king sized 100% latex bed on luraflex springs in norwalk  20 year warranty from a small local company, not an S brand you have to do battle with. made by norwalk mattress, a 100 year old local mattress maker, half of paid price, but still pricey - 2200. a dux just went for850 . 6 months old. not saying they are all usable, just that there are deals out there if what you decide you want is a very expensive bed and it is not within your price range.
This message was modified Apr 27, 2010 by olenska

Recent Posts