Anyone tried surroundewe.com?
Jan 5, 2011 12:23 AM
Hi, I've been enjoying the forum reading back through the old posts. I have a regular old mattress with a memory foam topper that has been replaced once already and is needing to be replaced again. I was thinking of getting a Tempurpedic but after reading about all the chemicals in the foam I've decided to do more research first. Of course in the process of researching I've decided I really would like to try a Hastens bed but that may take some time as I don't know any place in Florida that carries them.

In the interim I was looking at the mattress toppers at surroundewe.com and they look pretty nice. They are wool and they also sell mattresses as well. I tried searching but didn't see anything about this particular company. The testimonials (assuming they are real, I don't know) on the website all say they are super soft yet supportive. What does everyone think about wool toppers?

Thanks!

Re: Anyone tried surroundewe.com?
Reply #1 Jan 5, 2011 12:58 PM
Their products look very nice.  Keep in mind that an all wool mattress will likely require a little bit of maintenance, not really any more than a Hastens bed anyway.  But the toppers should be taken outside once a year to freshen up, and these should be flipped and rotated fairly often to even out any compression that will occur.  In reality even though there is nothing to worry about chemically inside natural rubber or steel springs, neither material should be classified as organic, so in a way these are some of the few truly organic mattresses that are available.  Their website though is riddled with misinformation, they claim wool has 5X the loft of down....in reality the reverse of this is true, high quality down is about 6 times loftier than sheeps wool, or most animal hair/wool products really.  They also claim that you would never have to worry about bed bugs with a mattress like this....dust mites perhaps would not be an issue since dust mites need moisture to survive and wool stays very dry.  However bed bugs will live virtually anywhere.  They should not be making this claim.  

As far as them being very soft and supportive, I could see this being somewhat possible because of the way the mattresses are tufted and pre-compressed, although softness is subjective, some people will consider these soft, a lot of people will likely find the mattresses without the additional toppers are actually quite firm.  And they likely are much firmer than what is possible with a bed like a Hastens/Lavital/Vi-Spring/Relyon/WJSouthard.  The thing with most natural fillings is that if they are tufted and pre-compressed, which they really should be...they are all quite firm.  How these brands make their beds feel so good is by controlling the firmness with the spring system itself.  That is where most of the flex in those types of mattresses come from.

Re: Anyone tried surroundewe.com?
Reply #2 Jan 5, 2011 1:52 PM
That is really helpful information, thank you so much for sharing. I'm going to continue learning and try to find some beds to try out that interest me.

Recent Posts