Anyone tried the Simmons BeautyRest Pemberton Plush (non PT?)
Jan 27, 2012 3:55 PM
Hi friends,

Over the last 3 months, have been on this forum more than I ever wanted to be.  Have experienced a long, painful (and expensive) Mattress Buying saga which I won't recount here.  Much of the story has already been told in my previous posts.

Briefly, we just returned a Stearns and Foster Pillowtop (from Sleep Trainwreck)...mostly because the Pillowtop was too mushy (learned our lesson) and the bed was too warm.  The too warm part is more of a problem for me, but my boyfriend also thought it was too warm.  So even when we adjusted to the mushy yet comfy pillowtop (which we called "The Mosh Pit"), we knew we had to get something else.

After endless shopping and nonstop research, we finally settled on a Beauty Rest "Pemberton Plush" model at Macy's.  Would have preferred one of the "cooling" Serta Perfect Day beds, but they were all too firm (or the models we liked were at small stores that don't allow returns).  Better yet, would have loved a locally-made, old-fashioned McCroskey -- with no foam -- but those start at $6K and just couldn't justify it.

The new bed arrived yesterday.  It seems very comfortable -- my boyfriend LOVES it already.  I suspect it may get too soft and mushy over time, but we can risk that.

The main problem I see is that this bed is STILL too warm for me.  It feels like it traps body heat.  My BF thinks it's fine, but I swear it's warm all the time.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am now going to buy low-thread count sheets to see if that helps.  And we already bought the "cooling" mattress topper with "Outlast NASA technology" - it's a nice mattress pad, but I am convinced it doesn't make a bit of difference.

I am also convinced that ALL of the new mattresses have temperature issues.  Never once experienced that problem with my old mattress!! 

So I am discouraged - AND sleepless - and broke -- in San Francisco!

Anyone else tried this bed?  Please tell me some good things about it.  I just can't go through this again (and please don't be a mattress sales person).

Thanks!!

Re: Anyone tried the Simmons BeautyRest Pemberton Plush (non PT?)
Reply #1 Jan 27, 2012 5:29 PM
I'm about to buy the firm version of it (although still debating between Walmart foam, Ikea latex and this). Likely will buy the equivalent from one of the discounters to avoid a trip to Macy's.

I've done a decent bit of research and the bed appears solid enough for my time horizon of use (~5 years). I prefer putting extra padding on myself if required so firm is the way to go for me.

Temperature-wise, there's less foam in the mattress so you shouldn't have issues. I'm always warm and slept on the predecessor of this bed in cool comfort for years.

That said, I honestly don't have much of a view for how life changes on a $500 mattress versus a $5000 one - they both feel fine to me.

Reply #2 Jan 27, 2012 7:34 PM
I too have done a ton of research here too, and also do not like a bed that sleeps warm. I'm passing this advice to you strictly from the plethora of information I've been reading here, not by personal experience. So here goes:

What's causing the bed to retain heat is the petroleum based sythetic foams used in the top layers of the bed. Recommendations given to others in the past are to add natural materials between you and the synthetic stuff. Natural materials unfortunately are not inexpensive. Most recommend a thick wool topper, a latex topper, or both.

Lower threadcount sheets are also a great idea. Get percales if you can afford them. Because every thread is woven over every other thread, these breath much better than sateens. I'd also recommend 100% cotton. I just picked up a king sized set of Percales which were made in Italy from a local Tuesday Morning store for $160. I know this sounds expensive, but these sheets will last a very long time if taken care of properly. They also breath very well. Another set which gets high recommendations are the My Favourite Sheets from St. Geneve, although I haven't tried these myself. If these are out of your price range, Tuesday Morning has some 300 count sateens from India for $50 a set which felt very nice, that is if you have a TM store near you. Their online selection is kinda small.

This message was modified Jan 27, 2012 by megalops
Reply #3 Jan 27, 2012 9:36 PM
Thanks to the two posters who replied so far.  I really appreciate the advice about sheets and all the other comments.

Why the "avoid Macy's" comment?  I have heard several comments like this.  So far, our experience with Macy's has been ok.  But I am nervous.

Reply #4 Jan 27, 2012 11:45 PM
I don't think all new mattresses have heat issues. Mine is "firm" and not warm so I think the extra foam in the "Plush" type of mattress may be what's heating you up. Since you say the bed is comfortable and doesn't need any thick toppers, I agree a  wool mattress pad may be the answer.
This message was modified Jan 27, 2012 by DoreenA

Recent Posts