Any advice on this DIY latex setup?
Jun 24, 2011 1:42 PM
I'm going for a pretty soft feel, based on how I liked the Pure Latex bliss nutrition (which is 2" x 19 ild, 2" x 28 ild, 6" x 36 ild) with the 14 ild topper on it.

Top to bottom:

2" - 14 ild - $314  - Sleep like a bear

2" - 19 ild - $314  - Sleep like a bear

2" - 28 ild - $204  - Myfoammattress.com

3" - 36 ild - $305  - Myfoammattress.com

cover: 10" terrycloth - $85 - Foambymail

foundation: EZ-sleep - $215 - bedinabox.com

Total: $1437

My concerns are:

1.  Will the 3" 36ild base be comparable to the 6" base in the Nutrition, or will it be too little support? My wife and I are about 150 lbs, side sleepers. I figure SleepEZ and Flobeds use 3" base cores, so it should work.

2.  Is myfoammattress.com a reputable place to buy from? Prices are good, its Latex International talalay, but not much other info on them.

Any comments appreciated - thanks!

This message was modified Jun 26, 2011 by proof1st
Re: Any advice on this DIY latex setup?
Reply #1 Jun 27, 2011 9:15 AM
As an update, I've been able to contact Myfoammattress.com (aka Sunset medical products) by phone - they were helpful enough answering questions. Unfortunately, they do not answer the phone often - very hard to get hold of. I need to order by phone since the web store doesnt enable you to specify the firmness of the topper. Im ready to purchase this set up this week, so unless I can get through Ill be looking for another source.

I may just get my two top layers from sleep like a bear and put them on my old spring mattress for now.

Reply #2 Jun 27, 2011 10:40 AM
Proof1st-

A 3" 36 ILD will feel softer than a 6" 36 ILD. You may want to consider going with a 40 ILD if you are only doing a 3" bottom layer. This may feel more similar to the nutrition. It would also give you better support. Even at 150 lbs, I'm not sure that a 3" 36 ILD is enough support.

Hope this helps!

Reply #4 Jun 27, 2011 1:55 PM
Thanks for the responses! I've definitely been copying many ideas on this board.

Right now I'm steering away from FBM since it seems like a guessing game with FBM ILDs - most say the 20 is firmer than an LI 20. So I'm trying to get as close as i can to the ILDs Ive tried out in person, for the lowest price. I am definitely considering using the 6" FBM base though.

Reply #5 Jun 28, 2011 2:33 PM
Had 2nd conversation with Sunset medical products - this time they say they no longer sell the toppers (!?). Maybe they changed their mind over the weekend.

So, on to other suppliers!

Another option I had considered was this ebay reseller, but I'm concerned these could be comfort returns being resold. The ebayer says they’re not, but Shawn at SleepEz has told me that people do come in and buy up those returned cores, and nothing would prevent them from selling them.

The prices are great!

2" - 14 ild - $314  - Sleep like a bear

2.8" - 22 ild - $268  - ebay

2.8"  - 30 ild - $268  - ebay

2.8" - 38 ild - $268  - ebay

cover: 10" terrycloth - $85 - Foambymail

foundation: EZ-sleep - $215 - bedinabox.com

Total: $1418

That gets plenty of latex and the option to do split cores for customizable sides.

I know one or two people on this forum have bought here and were satisfied, and the sellers rating is great, so maybe it’s not an issue. With the bedbug epidemic the thought that these may have been in someone else's bedroom for 90 days makes me pause - any thoughts?

I also wonder, has anyone successfully used a terry cloth / stretch type cover with a split core bed? Do you need a more substantial cover (like cotton quilted)  to keep the cores from moving around?

This message was modified Jun 28, 2011 by proof1st
Reply #6 Jun 28, 2011 3:33 PM
I would trust what people on this forum have to say about the ebay sellers.  The ebay seller ratings provide instant feedback gratification: the product was as expected, etc, but it doesn't tell you about the long term quality of the product.

I would say that the mattress you propose looks soft to me.  Can you really purchse 14 ILD latex?  I have read in a couple of places (sorry I don't have any references) that soft Talalay is not durable, which is why many places don't sell it.  But with layers, you can always replace what you don't like or what degrades easily.  As you state, you might waht more support on the lower layers.  A good support base is essential. 

The vendors you mention in your post all seem like they have good reviews on this forum.

Reply #7 Jun 28, 2011 4:37 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

I would trust what people on this forum have to say about the ebay sellers.

I would say that the mattress you propose looks soft to me.  Can you really purchse 14 ILD latex?  I have read in a couple of places (sorry I don't have any references) that soft Talalay is not durable, which is why many places don't sell it.  But with layers, you can always replace what you don't like or what degrades easily. 

This forum has been my greatest resource in this project, for sure! Definitely won my trust as the best info out there on the topic. It's just a small sample size as far as experience with that seller, so I'm hoping to draw out some more info to help me make the call. And I don't think anyone has addressed this specific concern. What Shawn at SleepEZ told me heightened that concern for me.  I'm sure the product may look perfect, with no way of telling whether it's used. Just something I have to decide  - whether the risk is worth the cost savings.

This configuration above is basically a SleepEZ 10,000 S/M/F setup with a 14 ILD topper on it. I'm thinking it will be firmer than the Nutrition, but pretty close. With split cores I can rearrange layers if I need to.

You can get 14 ild latex from many vendors, including Sleeplikeabear and Pure latex bliss. I've tried the PLB one and love the feel. At SleepEZ they say they stopped using anything lower than 22 because of the potential to form impressions. I'm going for it with the understanding that, like you said, I can replace a layer if I need to. Better than the whole mattress!

Thats another reason I dont want the Nutrition itself - the layers in that bed are glued together.

This message was modified Jun 28, 2011 by proof1st
Reply #8 Jun 29, 2011 5:06 PM
For what its worth, I asked Shawn at Sleepez what he recommended for a cover when using split cores, and he says that all you need to do when using the stretch cover is make sure the top layer is 1-piece, not a split layer, to eliminate feeling the seam. He says there wouldnt be any movement of layers since they are rubber, and heavy, they cling together and stay in place.

So i guess the one-piece 14ild layer should do the trick in my configuration.

This message was modified Jun 29, 2011 by proof1st
Reply #9 Jul 1, 2011 10:16 PM
I've decided against the ebay route. Just can't take that kind of risk, just to save a buck. My gut tells me that at least some used cores make it into these sellers inventories.

I'm going to step into this slowly - I have a 3" Rejuvenite plush topper (19 ild) on the way, which I will try on top of my current spring mattress and see how that works for a few weeks, then I'll deciding whether I want more softness on top or not.

Reply #10 Jul 2, 2011 1:18 AM
Proof1st, I think that's a wise plan.  I try not to be pennywise and pound foolish either!  Let us know how it turns out.

Recent Posts