Any advice on this DIY latex setup?
Jun 24, 2011 1:42 PM
I'm going for a pretty soft feel, based on how I liked the Pure Latex bliss nutrition (which is 2" x 19 ild, 2" x 28 ild, 6" x 36 ild) with the 14 ild topper on it.

Top to bottom:

2" - 14 ild - $314  - Sleep like a bear

2" - 19 ild - $314  - Sleep like a bear

2" - 28 ild - $204  - Myfoammattress.com

3" - 36 ild - $305  - Myfoammattress.com

cover: 10" terrycloth - $85 - Foambymail

foundation: EZ-sleep - $215 - bedinabox.com

Total: $1437

My concerns are:

1.  Will the 3" 36ild base be comparable to the 6" base in the Nutrition, or will it be too little support? My wife and I are about 150 lbs, side sleepers. I figure SleepEZ and Flobeds use 3" base cores, so it should work.

2.  Is myfoammattress.com a reputable place to buy from? Prices are good, its Latex International talalay, but not much other info on them.

Any comments appreciated - thanks!

This message was modified Jun 26, 2011 by proof1st
Re: Any advice on this DIY latex setup?
Reply #11 Jul 2, 2011 7:45 PM
My experience is that anything over 2 inches in soft (for me that would be 24 ild and below) caused lower back pain.  I weigh less than you though at 120 pounds, so that probably factors into it.  But I would be wary of using any more than 3 inches of soft latex.  Good idea to buy in increments!
Reply #12 Jul 6, 2011 3:07 PM
Not to hijack the thread however, are their other foam solutions that would allow folks to construct a good mattress utilizing latex and these other foams types? Could these types be used for the firmness and the latex (money side) be used for the top half or third of the mattress?

Thanks

Reply #13 Jul 7, 2011 6:15 PM
timby wrote:

Not to hijack the thread however, are their other foam solutions that would allow folks to construct a good mattress utilizing latex and these other foams types? Could these types be used for the firmness and the latex (money side) be used for the top half or third of the mattress?

Thanks

Many use a PU foam as the base layer. You can definitely cut costs that way. FBM sells high density foam that would work fine - I think the expectation is that it will not last as long, but it is still doable.

Reply #14 Jul 8, 2011 5:30 PM
You might want to try memory foam for the top layer instead of latex.  We use 2 layers of latex and one layer of memory foam on top with no mattress cover and don't have any problems with movement of the layers.
Reply #15 Jul 8, 2011 11:40 PM
I think your plan is basically sound, but like others I wonder if you might not have too much soft latex on top.

I'm not really sure because I've never tried latex that soft. But I know that in general, more than 2" of too-soft material on top causes me to have lower back pain. Your mileage may vary.

I think the 3" foam base will be enough, due to the 3" of 28ILD you have on top of that.

As to the question about using other cheaper foams for a base, that is certainly do-able. I used to use HR foam bases with latex on top. I felt that the HR* (similar to HD, not sure what the difference is, both are high quality pu foams) foam gave out much quicker than it is "supposed to". It's rated for 10 years but I felt it was losing it's spring even after just a couple years. But I'd say if you can get it super cheap then it's worth it to just replace it every couple of years. There is also the factor that HR foam just FEELS different than latex. Not necessarily worse, just different.

Reply #16 Jul 20, 2011 9:50 AM
After some delays in shipping I got the topper and after 1 night on it over the springs, Im pretty happy.  We'll see how it goes over time. It is definitely to soft for stomach sleeping, but seems a great middle ground for the combination of back and side sleeping, which works for my wife and me.

These rejuvenites have a nice cover - very similar materials to the pure latex bliss with a viscose blend with a little spandex for stretchiness.

Recent Posts