Adjustable bed (Leggett & Platt) Owners question
Feb 28, 2010 1:56 PM
I responded to someone who has an adjustable base and latex over that and asked where they got it, but more importantly which one?  Didn't respond though.  I went to Leggett & Platt's website, and there are many, many varieties of adjustable bases.  My main concern is being quiet, I don't care about the massage part, I want it to go up and down as far as it can, but I want it quiet.

Also I hate to go into a mattress showroom and ask about that only.   I really feel like they would bug the heck out of me to buy one of those crummy S mattresses or T mattress.  I am searching to buy on the internet, but I can see why I can't find any, they must weigh  a ton?  I saw Flobeds Faqs say if you order an adjustable bed you might want to keep that as the shipping was really high like $400 if I remember correctly.  I couldn't tell what Flobeds adjustable base really was, it didn't look like a L&P base, but it was expensive.

I also read somewhere here that Flobeds suggested buying it locally as it would be cheaper, so that is what I would do if I can find a dealer I can tolerate.  I haven't enjoyed buying beds at all locally.  Always a waste of money and the sales pitch is overwhelming.  I just wish I could avoid that part.

But if I am getting a new bed I want the adjustable base.   I saw Costco's 5 adjustable beds, unfortunately you have to order their mattresses, and their latex mattresses on those has foam in them so those are out for me.  I do want layers I can change out.
Re: Adjustable bed (Leggett & Platt) Owners question
Reply #8 Mar 1, 2010 2:03 PM
TJ12 wrote:
 I thought the battery back-up was built into the box...I was pretty sure there were batteries somewhere when they installed it (but could have been the remote! ) so thank you for that tidbit of info..

The DC Whisper Quiet motor has

a weight lifting capacity of up to 450 lb. on top of the mattress
an it also has the “power down” box. This feature allows the
bed to be reset to the flat or horizontal position should you
lose electrical power or if the bed remote is not communicating
properly with the adjustable base.

I stand corrected.  From the L&P website.

However AC motor power does need the $49 power backup unit.
This message was modified Mar 1, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #9 Mar 1, 2010 7:12 PM
I own the Ergomotion 400 adjustable base. It is a wall hugger. I bought it locally for 1200.00 last Sept. At the time I was told it was made my Leggett & Platt and I was able to find it on the LP site. I can't find it on L&P site anymore, so I don't know if they are still affiliated or not.

I do love it and it comes with a separate box that you put 9 volt batteries in to use in case of power outage. (I think it takes 6 batteries.) I keep this backup box in the closet. If needed the box with batteries plugs into the control box which is located under the bed. You use the battery backup box only for emergencies/ power outages.

I emailed Ergomotion customer service once when I was confused about the massage timer on the remote, and they emailed me back within an hour... they had a very friendly tone. I've never had trouble with it, so I can't say anything else about customer service.

Ergomotion 400 product info: <a href="http://www.ergomotion.us/products/400.html"target="_blank">link</a>

US Beds online site with reviews: <a href="http://www.usbeds.com/Products/Ergomotion%20400%20Series%20Adjustable%20Bed%20Base%20With%20Wireless%20Control%20and%20Massage.aspx"target="_blank">link</a>

Denver Mattress Co. online with reviews: <a href="http://www.denvermattress.com/details-60_1160_AB-ERWHMQ_0.htm"target="_blank">link</a>

Overstock carries it, but I think it's a twin, 84 x 36? I wonder if they ever have it in other sizes?: <a href="http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ergomotion-400-Series-Adjustable-Bed/4661037/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12584097"target="_blank">link</a>

Just an alternative to L&P.
Natalie
This message was modified Mar 1, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #10 Mar 1, 2010 10:23 PM
Leo,

Thanks for the clarification on the power back-up.  I feel better now to find out I haven't totally lost my mind!  Still need to check on the battery thing though...would probably be a good idea before the next power outage, huh?! :)

Natalie,  so where were you when we had to buy our adjustable bed anyway?!!   Those beds do look great....when we rushed into our research, everyone said the L&P was the way to go, so for once I didn't push the research too far and spent my time focusing on the mattress which I thought was more important since I knew we would be safe with the L&P.  But I love the different base models available (i.e. Eurostyle)...that's the one thing I wish I had all figured out.  Would like to make the bed more attractive...and haven't conquered that one yet.  I have to mention that the price we paid was for a dual king (2 twin XL) base which brings the price up a bit more and since it was less than on the internet, we felt comfortable buying it.   They have this swing a way feature that lets you slide the bases apart to make the beds easier which is great...but to use them I cannot enclose the bed in a wood ram which I really wanted to do.  So, still working on that one.

Randy, they are not that cheap, unfortunately....but Natalie's choice looks like a reasonably priced option,  But I did find their beds on the internet...here is one site for instance...http://www.bedinabox.com/scape-adjustable-with-massage-p-258.html.

TJ

Reply #11 Mar 2, 2010 12:16 AM
TJ12 wrote:
Natalie,  so where were you when we had to buy our adjustable bed anyway?!!   Those beds do look great....when we rushed into our research, everyone said the L&P was the way to go, so for once I didn't push the research too far and spent my time focusing on the mattress which I thought was more important since I knew we would be safe with the L&P. 

TJ, don't feel bad. At the time I bought mine, I hadn't done any research either.The Ergomotion 400 just happened to be the only adjustable base the store where I purchased the Englander mattress had. When I gave my son the Englander, I kept the base for my new mattress. I'm a generous mom, but not that generous.
Reply #12 Mar 3, 2010 5:44 PM
Thanks TJ12 and Natalie for that info and links.

Natalie where did you get your Ergomotiont?  $1200 included a mattress too though?  Costco had some mattresses with the adjustable bases, but the mattresses all had foam over the latex, so that is a deal breaker for me.  Too bad.

Is there foam over the base?  I really couldn't tell at the store because a bed was over it, LOL.

How tall of legs did you use?  5" or 7" or more?

I am thinking of ordering one through the internet, are they hard to put together?  I know they are heavy, can my husband and I (weakling) bring this in the house and setup????

I am sooooo confused.......

This message was modified Mar 3, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #13 Mar 4, 2010 3:09 AM
Hi Leo,

I got mine at a local Mancini's Sleepworld store (California). It was 1200.00 without any mattress. I think mine has the 7" legs, but it has locking casters on each leg, which make it approx. 9"  from floor to bottom of the base. (I definitely recommend the casters!) It looks exactly like the one at Denver Mattress : link

From the Ergomotion website link click on "Online Store". There you can see/ buy different height legs if needed. The whole adjustable base is "stand alone". This means you don't need a bed frame to use it, as the mattress sits directly on it. Think of it as a box spring with legs. All four sides have a very nice embossed foam padded cover, and the top center has a kind of non-skid material to keep your mattress from sliding. There is a metal bar at the foot of the bed that locks in place and keeps the mattress in place when you raise and lower the head and/ or feet.

The base has to to be tall enough to clear your bed frame and its center brace(s). If it doesn't you can do one of two things. Remove the bed frame entirely, and buy the optional hardware available from Ergomotion to attach the adjustable base to your headboard, or simply take the center brace off your existing frame. Mine clears by about 1 inches.

When they delivered ours, they just set it inside our frame that attaches to our head and foot board and it cleared just fine. It's about 1" taller than my bedframe. So I would suggest you measure the utmost height of your existing bed frame and purchase the Ergo legs that are tall enough to clear it. You might want to call Ergomotion to be sure I have stated this correctly.

The delivery guys hooked it up. It was their first time and took them about 45 min, but I don't have a clue how they did it. I would ask whoever you buy from if they do the installation and what legs you should get, or call Ergomotion. Sorry, I don't know how much it weighs... I do know a queen size will hold 600Lbs total weight, mattress and people. It's pretty quiet and doesn't freak my kitties out at all. Though it was pretty funny the first time I turned the massage on when they were on the bed.

Hope this helps some... maybe TJ can jump in and explain it better... I am so NOT mechanically inclined.
Natalie
This message was modified Mar 4, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #14 Mar 4, 2010 3:12 PM
Thanks for that info Natalie.  I don't have a bed frame, so no problem there.  Thank goodness it is complicated enough.

Did you happen to compare it to any other Leggett & Platts on the noise level?  I have a pet that wouldn't like noise either, LOL, and I don't either.

Is it made in USA, the website doesn't say.  Aren't I a pain with the all the questions?  I bought cars easier than this, LOL.

Guess I will call and see how much these weigh, I would rather do this myself than have someone come in.  Anytime I had beds delivered they came with grease and marked up the new bed.    If I can't do it myself guess I can't get it, more crying......
This message was modified Mar 4, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #15 Mar 4, 2010 4:54 PM
Leo3 wrote:
Thanks for that info Natalie.  I don't have a bed frame, so no problem there.  Thank goodness it is complicated enough.

Did you happen to compare it to any other Leggett & Platts on the noise level?  I have a pet that wouldn't like noise either, LOL, and I don't either.

Is it made in USA, the website doesn't say.  Aren't I a pain with the all the questions?  I bought cars easier than this, LOL.

Guess I will call and see how much these weigh, I would rather do this myself than have someone come in.  Anytime I had beds delivered they came with grease and marked up the new bed.    If I can't do it myself guess I can't get it, more crying......

Hi Leo,

I've never heard or seen the Leggett and Platt in person but I think my Ergo is really quiet. Though I was told when I bought the Ergomotion it was made by L&P, I can't find anything now to substantiate that statement. I was in Macy's last month and the saleswomen there said L&P makes all the parts for almost all adjustable beds, (I recently found out they make linens and protectors too!), but I don't know about the ERGO. I don't trust any mattress salesman I've talked to except budgy.

Their customer service number 1-888-550-ERGO.
Email addy is info@ergomotion.us.
Mailing address is Ergomotion, 55 Castilian Dr. Ste148, Santa Barbara, CA 93117.

Here is the <a href="http://www.ergomotion.us/brochures.html"target="_blank">link</a> to the .pdf instruction manual and warranty information. Have a look at the manual and see if you can follow it as to set-up. I can't even use a screw driver correctly to it's all Greek to me.

I haven't had any trouble with mine and love it, but I just looked at my owner's manual and it doesn't say where it's made.  I was going to call for you, but you know I'm phone phobic... so I emailed them instead and asked where they're made and can you buy direct, so I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

Hang in there my friend,
Natalie
Reply #16 Mar 4, 2010 5:33 PM
Natalia wrote:
Hi Leo,

I've never heard or seen the Leggett and Platt in person but I think my Ergo is really quiet. Though I was told when I bought the Ergomotion it was made by L&P, I can't find anything now to substantiate that statement. I was in Macy's last month and the saleswomen there said L&P makes all the parts for almost all adjustable beds, (I recently found out they make linens and protectors too!), but I don't know about the ERGO. I don't trust any mattress salesman I've talked to except budgy.

Their customer service number 1-888-550-ERGO.
Email addy is info@ergomotion.us.
Mailing address is Ergomotion, 55 Castilian Dr. Ste148, Santa Barbara, CA 93117.

Here is the <a href="http://www.ergomotion.us/brochures.html"target="_blank">link</a> to the .pdf instruction manual and warranty information. Have a look at the manual and see if you can follow it as to set-up. I can't even use a screw driver correctly to it's all Greek to me.

I haven't had any trouble with mine and love it, but I just looked at my owner's manual and it doesn't say where it's made.  I was going to call for you, but you know I'm phone phobic... so I emailed them instead and asked where they're made and can you buy direct, so I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

Hang in there my friend,
Natalie

Hi Natalie,  Wish there was a smiley face for LMAO!  I am a phone phobic too!  But for different reasons, I just don't like phones, and really do emails mostly.  I guess I do get nervous on the phone, and get tongue tied, but I just don't like the run around I get when I call mostly when I ask questions of some places.  I emailed L&P two times now and said this is my second email asking if there are fire retardants in the base.  The website says they meet the regulations for the fire laws.  I wish the companies would tell me HOW they meeting the fire laws.  What is in it?  Poisons or nice safe fabric.  I read somewhere they use rayon for fire retardants, I think it was Denver mattress (one of your links).

I guess I am one of those people that are OCD, and analytical.  I think most people here are, LOL.  I don't want anymore wasted money or wrong decisions.  Been there and done that too many times.
Thanks for emailing Ergo.  I just read a website I will provide the link for those interested.  Click here.  That says L&P makes other bases for other makers.  SO they may well make the Ergo.  Read #2 on the artlcle I linked and it says L&P makes parts for other companies.  This good article tells me a Queen size base weights 170 and one person can't move it.  So if my husband and I could carry Spongebob (pet name for Sealy Truform) and move it around I guess we can do this too. 

Funny I did download their catalog and book and warranty. I really read all before I make a choice, if I ever do.  Thanks for the links though, I think I deleted those because I get too much stuff on my computer to even find it all again. 
This message was modified Mar 4, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #17 Mar 5, 2010 5:22 PM

Budgy:

Do you know anything about adjustable bases?

Does Leggett & Platt make all adjustable bases?

This message was modified Mar 5, 2010 by Leo3

Recent Posts