12 year latex veteran with a question
Sep 16, 2009 10:24 PM
Hello All. Let me first say that this is a wonderful site and I'm really impressed with not only the wonderful information being shared here but also the civility in which it is being communicated. <BR>I bought my first (and only) latex mattress 12 1/2 years ago and it is still the mattress that I use to this day. When I bought it at Mattress Giant back in 1997, latex mattresses were just starting<BR>to come onto the market. It was the only latex model that they had and when I laid down on it, I knew that I needed to purchase it. It is a 6 inch natural latex mattress made by Associated Sleep Industries.<BR><BR>I've been so pleased with this mattress for so long, that I've been out of the loop of what's out there, as far as latex mattresses go. Coming to this site has been quite an eye opener as far as all the options that now<BR>exist, it's quite dizzying. The reason for my post is that my current mattress is starting to get a bit of a dip in its center and I think it may be time for a new latex mattress. Ideally, I'd like to get the same mattress<BR>that I have but it's no longer available. I don't know what firmness my mattress is or if it is dunlop or talalay. About all I know is that it is very heavy and there are no other materials interwoven (i.e. cotton, wool,<BR>synthetic latex, PU foam, memory foam) into the mattress. It's just a 6 inch slab of natural latex with a mattress cover sewn around it. <BR><BR>I've read quite a few posts on this forum about folks building their own latex mattresses with different layers of latex of varying firmness. I'd like to keep my next purchase simple and just replace what I already<BR>have with it's present day equivalent. For those in the know, would the Foam By Mail 6 inch latex mattress fit the bill? Is their mattress 100 % natural latex with nothing added? I'm open to any comments or <BR>suggestions about FBM or any other manufacturers. Thank you so much for your help.<BR><BR>Jay
This message was modified Sep 16, 2009 by enlighten
Re: 12 year latex veteran with a question
Reply #2 Sep 16, 2009 11:12 PM
jimsocal wrote:
I'm not a latex expert but I have used it here and there.<BR><BR>I THINK the answer to your question is yes, you can use the foambymail as a core, it's pure latex. If I'm not mistaken Eagle just bought from them, so look for him to answer this and look for his review of his newly bought latex slab.<BR><BR>Can you give us any details on where you bought your mattress, what ILD it is, ANYthing... are there any labels anywhere? An old receipt or bill of sale? <BR>Could you take some pictures of it and upload them - let us see how it looks... <BR><BR>Some people here might be able to make a good guess as to how firm it is (ILD) if they knew who made it or what type of latex it is... <BR><BR>You might consider cutting off a full 6&quot; from the bottom corner and taking it to a foam store that sells latex or even sending it to foambymail or one of the others... and from that they could make a pretty good guess I think.<BR><BR>Hopefully some others with more knowledge of latex can help you. It would be great if you could post some photos so we could see the color, the way it's made, etc... <BR>If not, tell us what color it is and describe the pattern of holes... Look around on the net at &quot;latex&quot; and see if you can find one that looks like it and link us to that...?

Hi Jim, thank you for the prompt response. I purchased the mattress from Mattress Giant in 1997. It is called a Foam Royale and it is made by
Associated Sleep Industries of Chelsea, MA. The mattress cover is sewn into the latex like a typical coil mattress is, so accessing the latex
would mean cutting into it. As far as firmness, I have no clue, when I purchased it, latex mattresses were just coming onto the market and there
weren't all of these options. Would posting a picture of the outside of the mattress still help?

Thanks again.

Jay
Reply #3 Sep 16, 2009 11:15 PM
I have the 6&quot; FBM latex core (firm) and it feels good by itself but is too firm alone for me to be comfy. I have 2&quot; of soft foam from FBM on top of it. But if you were take some pictures I could see if yours looks anything like my core. Also, the idea of sending a sample to FBM seems like a really good one to me.<BR><BR>The 6&quot; core from FBM is all latex and we're quite happy (so far!) with our purchase. I'll be posting a thread soon with pictures and a detailed review.

Edited to add: I just read that it's encased like a traditional mattress. It probably won't help to take pictures of it as it is, but if you're willing, there are a lot of threads about mattress surgery and you could probably do just a teeny bit to get a sample.
This message was modified Sep 16, 2009 by wifecat
Reply #4 Sep 16, 2009 11:18 PM
Jim: I just bought from FlowBeds. It is an all natural organic Talalay 3 cores of 3" and the top most layer of 2" soft convoluted Talalay. I won't trouble you with foam density at this stage, because I don't know what's going to work or what I will replace it with. But as I am 6' 2"and weigh 210 pounds I'm going with a more firm mattress to begin with.

Jay: Possibly you need to look into http://www.habitatfutons.com/latex_mattress.html

They sell a six-inch Dunlop mattresses including the cover, for $1600 with free shipping for a California King. They have an excellent trial period of six months. If you don't like the mattress during that period of time you can return it for a full refund no questions asked. They also sell the same mattress with a 2 inch top layer of  soft Talalay, and another mattress with the same 6 inch Dunlop core topped with 3 inches of soft Talalay. In all cases you have no choice other than the initial choice of picking one of the three. It comes with its cover already in place and you take it out of the box and it will expand into a bed, as they use a vacuum processing to reduce shipping. They do not have any exchange of layers or anything like that.

So they operate differently than most every other company. But they have an A+ rating with the BBB and people who like their mattresses think they're great. They don't even say what the ILD of the mattresses are. So if you want a simple straightforward dea, they look like the choice. They have an excellent website that is most informative with several really good videos. You might want to check them out.

I personally like to have more choice about layers, so I went with FloBeds as I have never slept on a latex mattress before. This is going to be a whole new adventure for me.
This message was modified Sep 16, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #5 Sep 17, 2009 11:15 AM
wifecat wrote:
I have the 6&amp;quot; FBM latex core (firm) and it feels good by itself but is too firm alone for me to be comfy. I have 2&amp;quot; of soft foam from FBM on top of it. But if you were take some pictures I could see if yours looks anything like my core. Also, the idea of sending a sample to FBM seems like a really good one to me.&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;The 6&amp;quot; core from FBM is all latex and we're quite happy (so far!) with our purchase. I'll be posting a thread soon with pictures and a detailed review.<BR><BR><BR>Edited to add: I just read that it's encased like a traditional mattress. It probably won't help to take pictures of it as it is, but if you're willing, there are a lot of threads about mattress surgery and you could probably do just a teeny bit to get a sample.

Thank you wifecat, I'm glad to hear that the FBM core is firm enough for you, that is one of my concerns. I'm 6 foot 3 and weigh 220 pounds but what I have
had for the last 12 plus years has more than do the job. I also wanted to inquire about the durability of FBM products(in terms of how long their mattresses last).
I don't know if they've been around long enough to actually get a fair assessment on this. Thanks again and I look forward to your review.

Jay
Reply #6 Sep 17, 2009 11:21 AM
eagle2 wrote:
Jay:</span> Possibly you need to look into http://www.habitatfutons.com/latex_mattress.html<BR><BR>They sell a six-inch Dunlop mattresses including the cover, for $1600 with free shipping for a California King. They have an excellent trial period of six months. If you don't like the mattress during that period of time you can return it for a full refund no questions asked. They also sell the same mattress with a 2 inch top layer of  soft Talalay, and another mattress with the same 6 inch Dunlop core topped with 3 inches of soft Talalay. In all cases you have no choice other than the initial choice of picking one of the three. It comes with its cover already in place and you take it out of the box and it will expand into a bed, as they use a vacuum processing to reduce shipping. They do not have any exchange of layers or anything like that.<BR><BR>So they operate differently than most every other company. But they have an A+ rating with the BBB and people who like their mattresses think they're great. They don't even say what the ILD of the mattresses are. So if you want a simple straightforward dea, they look like the choice. They have an excellent website that is most informative with several really good videos. You might want to check them out.<BR><BR>I personally like to have more choice about layers, so I went with FloBeds as I have never slept on a latex mattress before. This is going to be a whole new adventure for me.

Thank you eagle, I definitely appreciate the straightforward approach. I will check them out. My only concern is the durability of
the dunlop latex. I've consistently read that the dunlop latex degrades faster. If you've heard differently, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thank you,

Jay
Reply #7 Sep 17, 2009 11:46 AM
enlighten wrote:
Thank you eagle, I definitely appreciate the straightforward approach. I will check them out. My only concern is the durability of
the dunlop latex. I've consistently read that the dunlop latex degrades faster. If you've heard differently, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thank you,

Jay

Jay: It would be wonderful if someone like "Consumer Reports" would get their head out of the sand and really do a scientific study on mattresses. They won't do it, they just don't want to spend the time and money. But I believe that's what it would take to really be able to answer a lot of the questions that people have about latex.

I have heard that both Dunlop and Talalay 100% natural latex are both wonderful products. Dunlop uses the older method of pure vulcanizeing of the latex and Talalay uses a more complicated process in an effort to get a more consistent product. But if both processes use 100% natural organic latex, then they should both last for a very long time.

Basically, it seems to me, that you can hear anything you want to based upon the individuals bias or prejudice for one type of latex foam over another. Some people are convinced that a blended latex with synthetic latex mixed with natural latex is the best product. For instance Latex International, one of the largest manufacturers of Talalay latex in the world, and manufactured right here in America, has a 65 synthetic 35 natural blend that some people swear by. And since they make an all natural product as well, it can become quite confusing.

But just guessing, and that's all I'm doing is guessing, I would guess that the all natural product, both Dunlop and Talalay, would be the most durable product, and the better product. But I am simply guessing. Like you I would love to know, but until someone who does this kind of testing scientifically tests both Dunlop and Talalay method of manufacturing latex alongside the blended product, we're going to all just keep guessing.

Like you I am a larger male at 6' 2" and 210 pounds (side sleeper). And I just purchased an all natural latex mattress. Since I am 72 years of age I doubt that I will live long enough to really test out the longevity characteristics of the mattress since they are reputed to have 15 to 30 year life expectancies.

And so it goes! Good luck in your quest.
This message was modified Sep 17, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #8 Sep 17, 2009 2:58 PM
No, it wouldn't do any good to take a photo of the outside of the mattress.
But if you're going to trash the old one anyway, you may want to both cut into it to take a photo AND cut a sample for foambymail or another supplier so they can guess what you need to replace it.

If on the other hand, you plan to keep the mattress as a spare, then I can see your not wanting to cut into it.

My guess is that latex would probably be good if you could turn it over... but that would require surgery...

I think you definitely should try to find out what ILD it is, especially if you've really liked it because if you get a different ILD you may not be happy. ILD can usually be guessed pretty easily -within a few digits - by a latex expert or one who deals in latex. Is there a latex seller anywhere near you?

Even if you just cut into the bottom corner of the mattress, with an exacto knife, you could take a piece out (cut with a $10 electric carving knife) and use that sample to find out what ILD it is. Then, once it's covered with a sheet, no one will feel or see the surgery scar. That's what I'd do, but then I'm a mattress surgeon.
Reply #9 Sep 17, 2009 4:22 PM
Foamorder.com sells only dunlop latex now (they call it 'natural sense') as they claim that the Talalay broke down too fast. Go figure...
Reply #10 Sep 17, 2009 6:46 PM
electracat wrote:
Foamorder.com sells only dunlop latex now (they call it 'natural sense') as they claim that the Talalay broke down too fast. Go figure...

electracat: I have heard the same thing. Both ways! If the seller is into Dunlop, then it is the best. If the seller is into Talalay, then it is the best. It seems impossible to get an unbiased opinion. And if they are principally into a blended product, of both natural and synthetic, then it is the best.

We are going to have to rely on those folks who have experience with their personal latex mattresses to have any opportunity to find out even a little of the truth. And in far too many cases we are all, more or less, ignorant of what our mattresses are actually made out of. We have to take the sellers word for what we've purchased. It's a shame, but that is where we're at.

As much as I hate our federal government getting involved in more and more of our lives, it seems that would be the only way to make the manufactures state exactly what the material is in our mattresses. Under the threat of possible federal prosecution, possibly then we might get the truth. Sad state of affairs.
Reply #11 Sep 18, 2009 6:14 AM
Speculation on exactly how long latex will last aside, my entire family slept on blended Dunlop latex mattresses and they lasted 20 years before the foam began to dry up and powder. That's not speculation--that's fact. Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to find blended Dunlop any longer. It's all "natural" which means it's derived from rubber trees rather than petroleum.

Eagle is quite right. You really can't get a straight answer on what kind of latex is the most durable and long lasting. It seems like whatever the vendor sells is the "best." But it does make sense to me that sap is like wine--a natural product whose quality will vary from harvest to harvest. The theory behind blended latex is that the quality of the synthetic element can be maintained to a specific standard, and will compensate for any deficiency in the natural element. I don't know if there is really any truth to it, I  just know my blended Dunlop mattress lasted a really long time.

Recent Posts