Queen split box spring vs. one piece?
Sep 16, 2010 9:59 PM
Queen split box spring vs. one piece --     Is a split box something you'd only want to do if you had to, to get it into the room?    With king mattress sets, I read a log of complaints that the mattress develops a hump in the center with a depression on either side, becasue of the frames of the adjacent box springs underneath it.    Truth, or urban legend?    Might the same thing happen with a queen set?   If there's a chance that the frame ridge in the center will have adverse effects on the matterss, I'd be better off to get a one-piece spring.   But, to insure that it will fit easily into any house, the split box would offer a nice option.   But I am leaning toward a one-piece now and only replace it with a 2-piece later, if I really need a 2 piece.    Somebody please talk me out of it if that's a bad plan.  I don't know anyone who has opthe for a split box on a queen set.

Don't say foam mattress.  I dislike them all.   :-D

This message was modified Sep 16, 2010 by TC2334
Re: Queen split box spring vs. one piece?
Reply #1 Sep 19, 2010 2:00 AM
I've had a queen with a split box spring since 2001.  Its my daughter's bed now (my hubby & I have been through a few since then) but it has developed no ridge or depressions or body impressions.  Its an Ethan Allen, and it has a pillow top with what they were then calling (I think) "nasa foam".  Its been a great mattress.  It is worth noting that the center edges of the split boxes are NOT hard framed, they are rather flexible.  I absolutely love these when its moving time, when I'm rearranging the room, and when I'm spring cleaning.

We needed a king or else we never would have stopped sleeping on it.  We got a king Stearns & Foster in 2003 or 2004 with a split box.  It developed body impressions in less than one month.  Giant ones, it was like sleeping in a bed with two bowl-like pods carved into it.  This was the beginning of our mattress journey, which is still ongoing.  I attributed the depressions in that mattress to a distinct lack of quality by Stearns & Foster, and to the type of foam that it was constructed of.

So from my experience its the type of foam/lack of proper construction that is the cause, but I am interested to hear others' experiences on this.  If I were to get a split box today, I would definitely have the same concern as you if each box was hard-framed on the center edge.

Reply #2 Sep 19, 2010 10:39 AM
Thanks.  I'll make a note to check the construction before I buy.  I am leaning toward buying a set from Original Mattress Factory.  It's in the $700 range.  But I'll still looking at other options.  Or trying to.  It's hard to do from a small town in a rural region.  We have furniture stores but they all carry the same "S" brands that everyone here is swearing at, lol.   I have to go to Pittsburgh or Cleveland or MIchigan to find anything else.
Reply #3 Sep 19, 2010 1:18 PM
The ridge effect seems to happen in kings just because most modern mattresses develop pretty noticeable body indentations, one on each side of the middle of a king bed is super common.  Not likely to get this in a queen due to split bases.

Recent Posts