Need latex mattress help Please
Feb 25, 2010 3:22 PM

This is my first post. I’ve read most of this forum posts (including legacy) re latex mattresses.

So……..Help!!!  

I’ve fallen prey to an engineers’ nightmare “Analysis Paralysis”.  It’s time to purchase a new eastern king mattress. 

Currently we’re sleeping on an 8 yr old Serta Perfect Night (non-pillow top, no-flip) approximately 15” thick which has developed body ruts about 1.5”-2” deep on both sided with the complimentary  continental divide (we call it Puff-A-Lump) in the middle.  I’m 5’11”, 265lbs, 58yrs old and the lovely wife is 5’4”, 180lbs, also 58yrs old. (I know….for Christmas we joined the YMCA and are using it regularly so these weights WILL be reduced). We’re pretty active, despite what the weight would allude (riding bikes > 30 miles every weekend in the summer, walking  ~1.5 miles/night 3X a week summer or winter in addition to now utilizing the Y membership 4-5 times a week)

We’ve decided to go Latex this time and found a bed we both could agree on but there’s no way either of us would cough up the $7K the retailer quoted (Pranasleep Wahe Guru Luxury Firm).  That drove me to attempt to find a comparable quality bed at a reasonable price.  I found most of this forums' posters attempting to construct their own chose either SleepEZ or FloBeds. We’re leaning towards FloBeds (more exchanges for 90Days).

Then is when I may have started to over-analyze…Natural versus Blended (natural/synthetic) (I jokingly call my wife “bubble woman” because of all the things she’s allergic to of which latex is not one), Dunlop versus Talalay. I know FloBed only uses Talalay but I’m sure you know the drill. I did the FloBed firmness advisor and came to F/XF/XF and M/F/F which Dewey suggested be changed to M/F/XF (we agree, would prefer a firm bed).

Then I ruminated about the convoluted 2” soft layer on top. Should this be solid instead of convoluted? OR should I attempt to further replicate the Pranasleep feel (top layer is 2” Talalay 10ILD and cover contains Outlast) by purchasing a 2” Latex International Celsion topper in 15ILD to replace the convoluted foam?

I even tried to get information from Latex International regarding Talatech and if they source different grades to different vendors or does everyone get the same quality in other words does Talatech come in different qualities (Not ILD but perhaps different ratio of Natural/Synthetic).

Please help J

Re: Need latex mattress help Please
Reply #9 Feb 25, 2010 9:10 PM
You can certainly ask for specific ILDs.  Mine happen to be 36 ILD, which I meant to mention.  I forget what my husband's Firm layer is, it's either 32 or 34.  And for god's sake, I wouldn't put anything in your bed that isn't 100% latex until you've tried 100% latex.

FYI, I'm a side sleeper too, and I suffered from hip pain/numbness/tingling/etc with my old mattress.  I haven't had any of that since getting the Flobed.  Like I said, although it is very firm, it's resiliant, so it won't "push back" on your hips when your hips push down into the latex.

And for god's sake, I wouldn't get any of that stuff to go with your Flobed, at least not until you've tried the 100% latex configuration.  I do understand that Celsion is an LI latex product.

Also, if you weigh that much, I think toppers with an ILD that low will be pretty much useless to you.  The convoluted layer is supposed to be 22 ILD, but I think I've heard that since it's convoluted, the effective ILD is somewhere in the 12-15 range.

I would just get it as sold and see how it feels before adding extra ingredients to the mix.  Just a piece of advice from a good cook :)
Reply #10 Feb 25, 2010 11:54 PM
I did ask for an X-Firm core at the top of the range of firmness. I waited until Dave was able to get in a new shipment and send me such a core.  I am a side sleeper and none of my cores are less than X-Firm from FloBeds. My bottom cores are the blended 44 ILD's with one core at a little bit higher ILD rating.  My middle and top latex cores are the all natural Talalay Latex cores. I could not sleep on anything for the long-term that was softer than an ILD softer than 35 ILD rating (one of my cores is this since it was a prettier core I kept and exchanged a core I should have kept). I initially did not realize I was so sensitive to ILD ratings so I thought a few ILD's differences would not matter but my back could tell since I had a car accident a few years ago and now I need the bed as firm as possible but with a little bit of give to take pressure off of my hips and shoulders as I can only fall asleep sleeping on my side. I also had to test so many natural latex pillows to get the two that had the right height for me and now I sleep well and comfortable.  I had to take any mattress covering off of my bed except for the fitted sheet since it changed the way the latex felt.  My pillows are from Overstock.com and they have nice pillows but some are thicker than others and I wanted the slimmer ones due to my petite size.  I also have sheets from FloBeds that are nice. I have learned that I can't sleep on any thread count less than 300.  I had tried a Dunlap topper Dave sent to me but it was too firm and I preferred the way a thinner Talalay Latex topper felt so I have a 1" topper on my bed. I am sure if I was bigger I would have loved the convoluted topper that came with the bed but I did not sink in enough to get the support I needed being not quite 5 feet.
Reply #11 Feb 26, 2010 7:22 AM
Good info,

We , my wife and I, don't have any body structural issues yet so we're replacing the Perfect Night to mitigate our mattress causing that.

What I was attempting with the LI Celsion latex was to replicate the construction of the Wahe Guru (more so for my wife than myself, she looooved the Wahe Plush...said it was like laying on a cloud) I compromised on the Wahe Guru Luxury Firm (same core, less plush, but still the same $7K price)

I'm worried that if I go too much different in ILD's (left side/ right side) we'll end up eventually with a noticable ridge in the middle  (anyone have "data" on this?)

Almost ready to order, just got to get all the ducks in a row, dot the I's, cross the T's and present my proposal to the boss (my lovely wife, whom I'm lucky to have....she even puts up with me and my analytical obsessions)

Reply #12 Feb 26, 2010 10:52 AM
I notice no ridge in between my sides at all as long as you are getting the same blended or the same natural latex.  The natural latex cores are 3.0" deep while the blended latex is 2.8" deep so when I decided to try one blended 44 ILD core, I needed to order a second one so each side had one latex core to be even with the topper over them.
Reply #13 Feb 26, 2010 11:19 AM
Hi Lynn2006,

What made you want to try the 44ILD (SF)? Did you find the XF natural too soft?

I am considering a natural XF/XF/F, XF/F/M this covered bu the 2" convoluted topper. I'm still worried the XF/XF/F may not support my 275lbs so I had the SF in the back of my mind as option I might have to swap to. That would necessitate also swapping the wifes XF natural to a XF blended to maintain a balanced side height.

Reply #14 Feb 26, 2010 12:22 PM
Today was sheet changing day for me, and for the past few nights I haven't been as comfortable as ususal on my xf/xf/xf bed.  For all my back issues and weight, those three XF layers feel awfully firm some days.  And as a reminder, I weigh about the same as you, so I wouldn't worry about XF not being supportive enough.

Hubby grouches at me when I take his side of the bed to get the softer feel, so I thought "What the hey" and took sheet changing day as an opportunity to switch my XF layer for hubby's F layer.  He'll never notice the difference Checked all the ILDs too.  All of my XF are 36 and hubby's F layer is 32.  And the convoluted topper, much to my surprise, was 32 (but since it's convoluted it's effective ILD is much lower).

Some people have posted about wanting a solid topper instead of the convoluted, and I confess I have wondered what difference a solid topper would make too - so I put the convoluted topper face down, with the convolutions facing the cores and the smooth side on top.

Another reason I switched things around is that my bed doesn't have quite as much "bouncy" feel as I would like.

Anyway, I'll try this new configuration for a week or two and see how it feels. 

Anyway, pull the trigger, get *something,* and let us know how you like it!
Reply #15 Feb 26, 2010 12:26 PM
BTW here's the link to Flobed's "Dunlop vs. Talalay" review:

http://www.flobeds.com/TalalayVsDunlop.htm
Reply #16 Feb 26, 2010 12:42 PM
After my car accident, I need my bed to be even firmer and Dave allowed a few more exchanges after the 90 days due to the unforseen circumstance of getting hit from behind and now having a hurt back.  So I exchanged two 36 ILD cores for two 44 ILD cores with one firmer than the other and I like it this way.   The soft little bit of cushion is perfect for me. Everyone is different and we all have different needs.

I can not sleep directly on a 36 ILD latex core without the topper since it is just too firm but with the soft topper, I like the two 44 ILD's on the bottom to keep the bed as firm as possible on the slat pine box that I bought from FloBeds.com.

Reply #17 Mar 9, 2010 12:08 AM
Hi,

this is a question for Kimberly or anyone who has had a flobeds, sleepez or similar bed for a while.

I'm close to making a decision on buying a latex mattress, maybe from Flobeds or Sleepez. If you have owned your bed for at least a few months, I was hoping you could comment on a couple of  things. Hardly anyone reviews their mattress a year later or 2-3 years later.

First, Could you tell me when you got your mattress?

Could you comment on how well your Flobeds mattress cover (not the mattress protector) made by Flobeds has held up. Is is fairly tight and has it stayed that way? One thing I don't want to have is a  wrinkled mattress cover under the sheets. That's one thing I like about the traditional mattresses--the top is smooth and taut.

If you have a bed split down the middle can you feel the split or do you have a topper that goes all the way across?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Reply #18 Mar 9, 2010 11:08 PM
Slidenkohl,

I own a FloBed Latex Queen Size split core bed over the pine slat box they sell.  I bought my latex bed in May 2007.  My mattress cover from FloBeds has held up very nicely and is still snug with no wrinkles on top. I have split cores and do to the way they fit snuggle together with the queen size topper over them, I can not feel the the split in the middle of the bed. I love the split cores since it makes the layers easier to move around when the zippered mattress cover is unzipped (they are still heavy) and the slat box is split also to allow it to be easier to move out of the room if it is needed to be for new floors, moving, etc. 

Recent Posts