Need latex mattress help Please
Feb 25, 2010 3:22 PM

This is my first post. I’ve read most of this forum posts (including legacy) re latex mattresses.

So……..Help!!!  

I’ve fallen prey to an engineers’ nightmare “Analysis Paralysis”.  It’s time to purchase a new eastern king mattress. 

Currently we’re sleeping on an 8 yr old Serta Perfect Night (non-pillow top, no-flip) approximately 15” thick which has developed body ruts about 1.5”-2” deep on both sided with the complimentary  continental divide (we call it Puff-A-Lump) in the middle.  I’m 5’11”, 265lbs, 58yrs old and the lovely wife is 5’4”, 180lbs, also 58yrs old. (I know….for Christmas we joined the YMCA and are using it regularly so these weights WILL be reduced). We’re pretty active, despite what the weight would allude (riding bikes > 30 miles every weekend in the summer, walking  ~1.5 miles/night 3X a week summer or winter in addition to now utilizing the Y membership 4-5 times a week)

We’ve decided to go Latex this time and found a bed we both could agree on but there’s no way either of us would cough up the $7K the retailer quoted (Pranasleep Wahe Guru Luxury Firm).  That drove me to attempt to find a comparable quality bed at a reasonable price.  I found most of this forums' posters attempting to construct their own chose either SleepEZ or FloBeds. We’re leaning towards FloBeds (more exchanges for 90Days).

Then is when I may have started to over-analyze…Natural versus Blended (natural/synthetic) (I jokingly call my wife “bubble woman” because of all the things she’s allergic to of which latex is not one), Dunlop versus Talalay. I know FloBed only uses Talalay but I’m sure you know the drill. I did the FloBed firmness advisor and came to F/XF/XF and M/F/F which Dewey suggested be changed to M/F/XF (we agree, would prefer a firm bed).

Then I ruminated about the convoluted 2” soft layer on top. Should this be solid instead of convoluted? OR should I attempt to further replicate the Pranasleep feel (top layer is 2” Talalay 10ILD and cover contains Outlast) by purchasing a 2” Latex International Celsion topper in 15ILD to replace the convoluted foam?

I even tried to get information from Latex International regarding Talatech and if they source different grades to different vendors or does everyone get the same quality in other words does Talatech come in different qualities (Not ILD but perhaps different ratio of Natural/Synthetic).

Please help J

Recent Posts