I'm so confused- please help me choose a bed! Latex or pocket spring?
Nov 25, 2010 1:12 AM
HI

I've been lurking and researching frantically for a bed as the old one has died at last. I'm in New Zealand and have a limited choice so here's my situation:I had a sleepyhead chiropedic

Really appreciate your advice, and have been reading but every answer leads to another question....

that was the cheapest they did when I bought it as a student 15 years ago and it survived  rough treatment and was extremely comfortable until this year.

Now my first choice was to buy something different as sleepyheads are expensive- but there is such rubbish! My budget went down as I ran into the mattress mafia who prevent any real comparison shopping....but these two are amazing in the shop- I just want the one that is as amazing in 5 years....

So now I am facing the choice between a dunlopillo http://www.dunlopliving.co.nz/Bedding/Dunlopillo/Dunlopillo/Lifestyle+M/ talalay latex with a wool blend topper and 10 year guarantee and a Sleepyhead Balance Missouri Medium with a memoryfoam/ latex pillowtop with pocket coils and a 10 year guarantee. ( no precise website) Both are on sale- 1 is today only but I'm sure it will come again as it is xmas.

I cannot really afford a new bed but if I have to, I want to make sure I get something that will last at least another 15 years.

I was in an accident and have back problems and burstitis (very painful hips and feet) and am a very curvy side sleeper (about 5'4 and 180 pounds) but sleep hot. The latex pillow I bought to test latex out has been fine so far. The pressurepoints i my current firm mattress mean I either don't sleep or take painkillers so I can (So the choice is semi urgent).

Am happy to hear latex/pocket spring lovers and haters.... Thanks heaps

Re: I'm so confused- please help me choose a bed! Latex or pocket spring?
Reply #1 Nov 25, 2010 1:41 AM
It would probably help to know the construction of the mattresses (the layers and what is in them) as it is so common for an outlet to call a bed latex when it is only a small part of the mattress. Dunlopillo is a good brand of Talalay latex and strangely enough in Australia/NZ the rights to it were just purchased by Sleepyhead. Interesting too is that they also own Latex Gold (http://www.nzfl.co.nz/features) which is another latex manufacturer in NZ who makes Dunlop latex mattresses.

If you tend to sleep hot, I would tend to avoid any memory foam. It will also not last you as long as latex.

IMO, latex over good quality springs is a good choice and for some people who like the "bounciness" of springs, may even be preferable to an all latex mattress. Again though, just a single layer for "label copy" doesn't qualify a mattress as a latex/innerspring mattress in my view. If you want durability and qualities that last, I would avoid more than an inch of polyfoam in the comfort layers of a mattress and even that is more than I would choose if I had a choice.

If you can call them and get more specific details of the two mattresses, it would help to give better feedback.

Phoenix

Reply #2 Nov 25, 2010 11:06 PM
Thanks for your reoly.

I trie to call and went in to the shops but they are the most ignorant salespeople. I've emailed the company that manufactures both ranges so hopefully they'll et back to me with an answer. I'm tending towards the latex at the moment but that changes minute by minute....

Thansk again.

Kerensa

Reply #3 Nov 27, 2010 9:04 PM
Maybe this will help. I would not buy a mattress from anyone who either would not or could not tell me how it was made (or at least if I couldn't find this out on my own). There are just too many reputable outlets who will to waste any time on the "mafia" as you so aptly called them. I would also take this one step further and make them tell me on the phone without going there or I also wouldn't consider them as an option unless I already knew exactly what I wanted and that they had it on the floor.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 27, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #4 Nov 30, 2010 2:03 AM
Sleep is overrated and under appreciated.
Try it out, ask lots of questions and make sure the company will allow you at least a 30 day trial period.

Me personally, after sleeping on springs all my life, switched to the Scandinavian Sleep System mattress which is a multi-layered foam type product with breathable eyelets that do seem to help with body heat. That is something I learned about foam/latex products...they hold heat much more than a typical spring mattress. The pocket spring mattress we looked at were really nice, but we wanted away from any/all springs so that pushed us to other models.

No matter what you pick, go with a quality company, with strong customer service and leave the rest alone.

Best of luck with your sleep journey!

-James

This message was modified Dec 1, 2010 by funride

Recent Posts