How firm should i go with my latex mattress
May 25, 2011 3:56 PM
Hello all,

I've been looking for a firm mattress for a few months now.  At first I was only looking for innerspring mattresses, but couldn't find anything firm enough for me or my wife.  We both like very firm with no sinking feeling.  I would not say firm like sleeping on the floor, but close to it.

While at a 1-800-mattress store, we tried a latex mattress and liked it the most out of anything we tried.  The mattress was Sleep Options Classic Sleep Destiny 8-inch Firm Latex Foam Mattress. It felt firm enough, although both of us would've preffered a bit more firmness.

So, i came to this site to research on latex, chose SleepEZ based on reviews and prices being below Flobeds.

What I liked was Select Sleep Model 13000, 100% Natural Dunlop  in the Firm-Xfirm-Xfirm-Xfirm (bottom) configuration.  But as a newly educated (thanks to this website) consumer, I checked the specs on the Classic Sleep bed we liked and was shocked that the ILD on the top layer was only 20.  That is more like a "soft" layer at SleepEZ. 

Does anybody have any recommendations or advice?  I really don't know what to do at this point.

thank you!

Re: How firm should i go with my latex mattress
Reply #5 May 26, 2011 4:37 AM
GK99 wrote:

Hello all,

I've been looking for a firm mattress for a few months now.  At first I was only looking for innerspring mattresses, but couldn't find anything firm enough for me or my wife.  We both like very firm with no sinking feeling.  I would not say firm like sleeping on the floor, but close to it.

While at a 1-800-mattress store, we tried a latex mattress and liked it the most out of anything we tried.  The mattress was Sleep Options Classic Sleep Destiny 8-inch Firm Latex Foam Mattress. It felt firm enough, although both of us would've preffered a bit more firmness.

So, i came to this site to research on latex, chose SleepEZ based on reviews and prices being below Flobeds.

What I liked was Select Sleep Model 13000, 100% Natural Dunlop  in the Firm-Xfirm-Xfirm-Xfirm (bottom) configuration.  But as a newly educated (thanks to this website) consumer, I checked the specs on the Classic Sleep bed we liked and was shocked that the ILD on the top layer was only 20.  That is more like a "soft" layer at SleepEZ. 

Does anybody have any recommendations or advice?  I really don't know what to do at this point.

thank you!

If I may highly steer you away from the Sleep Options, especially the 8" firm latex. I have the 11" plush, and it's a rock. It also has a 3" 20 ILD dunlop top layer, but I sure don't feel it. The bed in the showroom was no where near as firm as this bed. My back pain was so severe, and I couldn't get comfortable on the bed. I had to spend $173 on a 3" 20 ILD talalay topper from Foam By Mail to soften the bed up. 

Also, the sleep options is mostly polyurethane foam, which is another huge disappointing factor. There was also an awful chemical odor that needed to be aired out everyday for the first week. It's still there, but not as strong, now I don't have to strip the beds when we wake. Sadly, I was locked into purchasing another mattress from Sleepy's, so I didn't have the luxury of going to Sleepez or Flobeds. 

Now IMO, the 3" dunlop layer on the SO mattress has a very different feel than a 3" 20 ild talalay topper. The dunlop is by far much firmer, the talalay has a little wiggle to it, and makes room for my hips. Could you go back to the store and lay on the various models of a Pure Latex Bliss? If you can and find one you like, learn about the configurations of the model you loved and duplicate that with SleepEZ or Flobeds. Which would save you loads of money. Also, if your not worried about imperfections in your latex, FBM or also known as The Foam Factory, sells talalay cheap. You could save a lot more by doing a DIY utilizing them. 

Good luck, keep us updated! 

Reply #6 May 26, 2011 8:19 AM
serehya wrote:

Also, if your not worried about imperfections in your latex, FBM or also known as The Foam Factory, sells talalay cheap. You could save a lot more by doing a DIY utilizing them. 

Good luck, keep us updated! 

I strongly agree with this option.

Reply #7 May 26, 2011 12:41 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies!  Thanks to this forum, I know better than to buy a mattress from Sleepy's or 1800mattress.  But since those two are the only stores in my area (brooklyn, ny), I wanted to check out the latex mattresses they have for no other reason than to see what different ILD's would feel like.  Unfortunately, 1800mattress only had the SO mattress, and I'm yet to visit the Sleepy's store.  I guess it's difficult to move from the innerspring world, where i always wanted the firmest mattress i could find.

I also used the Firmness Advisor from Flobeds, and it gave me the following config:

Me: X-firm - X-firm - S-Firm

My wife: Soft - Medium - Firm

I couldn't find what their ILD's were, but that sounds like I'd be sleeping on the rocks.

I will try to visit a Sleepy's store in the next few days and will update with my findings.

Thank you.

Reply #8 May 26, 2011 1:32 PM
IMO, really Firm or realy soft shouldn't be a problem, it trying to find the right combination of soft and firm that can be difficult. If you want firm close to the feel of the floor shouldn't be too hard to find.
Reply #9 May 28, 2011 5:49 PM
In my opinion one should always have a softer layer on top, to avoid pressure points unless you sleep on your back or stomach 100% of the night. Anyone who sleeps on their side even for only an hour or two needs a softer top layer to avoid pressure points. I'd guess at least 28ILD, minimally, optimally something softer.

20ILD Dunlop processed latex may not be soft enough. I have a 32ILD Dunlop layer and I know from experience that it feels more like a 40ILD Talalay or HR Foam layer. So a 20 ILD Dunlop layer is probably more like a 28ILD Talalay layer. I think for a top layer one should use Talalay, something like a 18-24 ILD firmness.

I have to admit that I believe Talalay is a much better latex for sleeping than Dunlop, in general. I think Dunlop can be okay for a base layer (I am using one now) but for the top 2-3" one needs Talalay. However I know some are sleeping on all Dunlop and like it. So it's up for differing opinions. I don't know how many of those "all Dunlop" people sleep on their sides or have any pressure point issues. I would guess that people who sleep on their sides and have issues with shoulders or back are going to prefer Talalay at least in the top 2-3" of their mattress.

Reply #10 May 28, 2011 9:50 PM
jimsocal wrote:

In my opinion one should always have a softer layer on top, to avoid pressure points

I totally agree. I'm a side sleeper and a soft top layer is a must. I have a 2" 20ILD talalay topper with a 2.5" cuddlebed and it relieves pressure points quite well.

Reply #11 May 29, 2011 1:01 AM
GK99, I have a FloBeds with the configuration recommended to you. Due to my petite size, I was given a too soft configuration but I like a firm bed as long as there is a little cushion on top for my pressure points.   My bed is a 1" natural Talalay Latex topper (I bought since the 2" latex topper that comes with the bed and would be perfect for most people was too thick for me since I am not quite 5 feet tall and only about 100 lbs so I did not sink in enough to feel the firmness underneath the bed.... Dave sent me other latex toppers to try and then sent me latex pillows when I found my own topper but he was very accommodating and caring) over XF, over XF over Super Firm.  I actually have this configuration on both sides of my bed with one feeling firmer than the other due to each latex piece being an average ILD in terms of firmness.  My bed is so comfortable and supportive and I love it.  It is very firm not definitely softer and more comfortable than sleeping on a padded carpet over hardwood floors.  If I was heavier or bigger (only 4'10.5"100 lbs), I probably would have loved the soft latex topper that came with the FloBeds. My topper fits inside the cover which I like but it was purchased at Brylane Homes.

I could not sleep on my bed without the topper and I tried the bed with no topper but a softer latex core on top and it was not comfortable that way hurting my back. Hence, having a little cushion over very firm layers is the way to go for someone like me and others that like sleeping on firm beds with a little give.

This message was modified Jun 21, 2011 by Lynn2006
Reply #12 May 31, 2011 12:46 AM
Just an update on my search, the local Sleepy's didn't have PLB mattresses.  I will drive to another Sleepy's after work tomorrow, they supposedly have the PLB's and hopefully I'll know better what kind of firmness I need.

Jimsocal: the 20ILD Dunlop latex on top of 40 ILD base foam I was laying on for about 5 minutes felt comfortable enough (Sleep Options mattress), but I don't know if it will feel the same after full night's sleep, or after sleeping on this mattress for a few months.

Lynn2006: Does Flobeds include the soft Latex topper with their mattress or is that something that needs to be ordered separately.  I like everything about Flobeds except for their price.  My mattress comes out to $3,998 with s&h for a King natural latex xf-xf-sf setup.

Reply #13 Jun 20, 2011 11:25 AM
I went ahead and ordered a mattress from Flobeds last night.  It's a Natural Deluxe - Natural Talalay Mattress.  Xfirm-Xfirm-Medium on my side and Xfirm-Xfirm-Soft on the other.

I'm moving into my new house in about 2 weeks.  I will let this forum know my findings after sleeping on the mattress for a few nights.

Thanks again for all the advices!

Reply #14 Jun 21, 2011 9:11 PM
GK99, Sorry, I just saw your message now in the prior post or I would have answered sooner. I feel you will love your FloBeds!   I love mine so much and wish I had gotten a new bed many years before May 2007.  Even if I go to bed with pain in my back and neck from the car accident (August 2007) that I had after buying my FloBed latex kit,, I wake up without pain.  I have the set up that is just right for me and I feel blessed to have found out about FloBeds and Latex beds from clients of mine and from the decorating forum and then from this list.  Plese update us.  The topper is a very important part of the bed I have found out.  Good luck with your move to a new home.  Please update us on the bed when you have a chance to try it out.

Recent Posts