Frustrated with latex mattress need help from latex gurus here!!!
Aug 1, 2011 3:16 PM
Hi all,

Thanks so much in advance for any insight, advice you can give. I'm desperate - I have to make this work. I’m soooooooo tired of researching mattresses and trying to find trustworthy sources among the many options. all the mattresses look so comfy and enticing online or store, its mind boggling...This is so very FRUSTRATING because I RESEARCHED for hours and hours, tried different beds in stores...argh

Mattress stats:
SleepEZ 8500. Layers - SMF from top to bottom

I’m side and stomach sleeper (but trying not to sleep on stomach so much, I know this isn’t good for lower back).

Problem:
Can’t seem to feel totally comfortable on this mattress. The main effect is soreness/pain in lower back that stays with me all day. Sometimes I also get pain in my upper body/shoulders sleeping on my side, it feels like everything is crushing down on each other.

I also tried SFM and MFM (just using layers we have already, nothing new from SleepEZ).

When I sleep on other beds I usually don’t have this problem. I recently slept on an Ethan Allen mattress, some type of foam I have no idea, but I had no problems, in fact it felt soft and supportive at the same time. my mom has a firm, simple Simmons mattress and while not super plushy, I don’t get low back pain from it.

Questions:

1. What config should I try next? very firm? Perhaps M, F, F or M, XF, XF? The top layer is only available in S or M. so those 2 configs would be about as firm as I could go…
  2. Foundation - Also right now we have the mattress on the floor because I’m not sure what foundation I’m supposed to use or that I want. Could having it on the floor cause low back pain? What type of foundation should I get? I wanted a simple wood platform bed, but its not been easy finding one I like in Cal King. If I get a latex wood slat foundation can I put that on top of a wood platform or would that just be way too high?
Re: Frustrated with latex mattress need help from latex gurus here!!!
Reply #1 Aug 1, 2011 6:01 PM
For sure I'm no expert, but it seems this bed is about 8" thick? I really think putting it on the floor is a bad idea. Unlike a foundation or box spring, the floor has zero "give".
Reply #2 Aug 1, 2011 7:17 PM
I've seen this complaint before and I believe that side sleepers will get the most benefit in many cases from zoned mattresses such as Flo Beds or Custom Sleep Design....there may be others but I don't remember seeing any here.  When different parts of your body weigh differently, some areas are going to sag more on the same density of foam, creating a spinal alignment problem.  Having foam slightly softer in the shoulders area for example, will allow the shoulders to sink more than the hips (assuming the shoulder/trunk are broader) will allow the spine to be more straight, which I think is could be the cause of lower back pain.  If you make the whole mattress firmer, you might eliminate the lower back pain but your arms and shoulders might fall asleep or at least be scrunched up.  I don't have a zoned mattress but that would be the direction I would go in next time around (as a side sleeper).  You could certainly try cutting your layers up and creating your own "zoned" mattress but I don't expect Sleepez to take any returns on those.  I've actually attempted to do my own that way with some success but I'm still fine tuning it or may give up and try buying one that way some day.  You may want to try a firmer layer on top first or someone else's recommendations first. 

Here is what I've tried to simulate by using a 14 ILD latex for the top 2" for the chest area to the head:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-design-custom-sleep-design/16344-0-1.html

Let us know how this comes out.

Reply #3 Aug 2, 2011 1:00 AM
I have read that 2/3 of sleepers are side sleepers.  Assuming that and the above about zoned foam is true, it's a wonder why most beds aren't zoned comforts layers.
Reply #4 Aug 2, 2011 1:57 AM
yes Doreen, the mattress is 8.5" thick. what kind of foundation do you recommend for someone with all latex mattress and lower back pain?

Thanks Sall.

i considered zoning and read about it on this forum. but:

1. sleepEZ doesnt do zoning well - they offer a 7 zoned layer but told me not to get it, saying none of their customers like it.

2. Flobeds and Custom Sleep Design do zoning, but Flobeds was too expensive +sales tax since I'm in CA. CSD has interesting veritcal zoning system, but VERY high prices on their natural talalay, which is what i wanted (they push the blended), so i ruled these out..

also since the zoning also sounds even more complex to get right, i wanted to go with simple first to see if i can make that work....

slpngoc - I wish more companies offered vertical zoning, and something more simple than 7 different veritcal zones.from what i've read that can be a nightmare to get right...

Any other ideas or suggestions please??? is my low back problem caused by it being too soft or too firm? from what i read here, its too soft. I'll call SleepEz, but I'm not expecting much, they werent super helpful when I ordered. they just recommeded SMF....

Reply #5 Aug 2, 2011 6:32 PM
I would move the firmer laters closer to the top of the bed to give your lower back support and put a very soft latex 1" topper over this to cushion your side. If this helps your back but feels too firm, then add another 1" soft Talalay latex topper. 

Recent Posts