Does a Flobed require a slatted foundation?
Mar 10, 2010 11:16 PM
<p>So after all the rave reviews I've found here about Flobeds, I decided to check out their web site. I would definitely have to try out a latex mattress of some sort at my local retailers, just to see how it feels and if it produces the same back pain I get with a spring mattress, or if it gives the same comfort I felt with the Celebrity Bed. But I do have one question I'm hoping folks here can answer before I make any phone calls:</p>

<p>When I went through the "make bed" routine, just to see what they offered in queen beds, I noticed that all of the foundations were slatted. They had a section for "I already own a...", but among the options they listed, every single option was itself slatted. I'm wondering: Is the use of a slatted foundation some sort of requirement with a latex mattress (just like a solid, flat foundation is a requirement for foam mattresses)? I have a captain's bed with a "bunky board" (flat surface, not slatted), and I have no intention of getting rid of it. If using a solid flat foundation is no good with a latex mattress, that would rule out that option.</p>

<p>This hasn't (at least yet) stopped me from thinking about my earlier post, and buying a traditional spring mattress and re-using my existing 3" 4 lb memory foam topper with it. But I want to be sure I've looked at all options before I finally put down my money on this rather sizable investment.</p>

</p>- Joe -</p>

This message was modified Mar 10, 2010 by JLMoran1705
Re: Does a Flobed require a slatted foundation?
Reply #1 Mar 10, 2010 11:19 PM
No, not all of the foundation options are for slatted foundations.  One of them is for a traditional foundation, and that's what Im using with mine.  I just bought one locally.
Reply #2 Mar 11, 2010 12:25 AM
I have a FloBeds California King natural latex mattress which I like very much. I am using my old waterbed foundation which is not slatted, it works quite well.
Reply #3 Mar 11, 2010 5:56 AM
<p>KimberlyH and eagle2, thanks for letting me know! If I end up going this route, it's good to know that I can just get the mattress and be in good shape. smiley</p>

<p>- Joe -</p>

Reply #4 Mar 11, 2010 1:47 PM
celebrity?  tempurpedic?  why dont you have it now, was it on the firm side?
Reply #5 Mar 11, 2010 4:19 PM
The slatted foundation "might" make it sleep a little cooler, and a solid wood foundation "might" make it develop mould or something if you live in a humid area.

What do you folks think of this slatted foundation? Looks pretty good to me:

Versi-flex foundation

Reply #6 Mar 11, 2010 7:07 PM
That slatted box spring looks good to me!  But we went to Mattress Giant yesterday and bought just a simple box springs.  The tag was for $180 and I got it for $130.  It is very solid and my new latex mattress felt much better after getting rid of the sagging 15 year old box spring I had.
Reply #7 Mar 12, 2010 3:33 PM
I have a Flobeds E. King latex mattress and I've used it both with the slatted foundation (from Flobeds) and on a regular (flat) foundation.  Both worked fine.  I found I preferred the flat foundation and it caused no problems at all.  :)

Recent Posts