Can a claim that a memory foam topper does not sleep hot be true?
Jul 1, 2010 12:18 PM
I am looking at a memory foam mattress topper on costco.com that claims to keep your sleeping temperature right, never too warm. I currently have an innerspring mattress with a few layers of foam that is so hot that I can't stand it. Luckily it was warrantied due to body impressions and a 100% latex mattress is in route, also from costco.com. I was just wondering if anyone knows if these claims of the topper not being hot could be valid or if it will probably be hot as it is just the natural of the material. I know that I can return it to costco if I don't like it, but I was just wondering if I was being had by a marketing ploy? Here is the description from costco.com:

Right-Temp™ Mattress Topper: 

We call it Right-Temp for a reason!  This unique mattress topper combines two exclusive materials to keep your sleeping temperature just right... and never too warm.  That’s what makes our new Right-Temp™ Topper so special!

Three inches of luxurious NutraTemp™ Premium Memory Foam cradles you and conforms perfectly to your body providing extraordinary pressure relief & support. The Nutratemp™ allows air to circulate under you so your sleep is comfortable and undisturbed.

The 233-thread count, silky-soft, washable cotton cover is lined with revolutionary Climarelle™ - a fabric which absorbs excess body heat.  Amazingly, Climarelle™ absorbs and releases heat as it is needed to maintain a consistent and optimal sleeping temperature.

Count on the perfect blend of NutraTemp and Climarelle™ to give you an extraordinarily comfortable, relaxing night’s sleep. 

• 3" thick Mattress Topper made of premium NutraTemp™ Memory Foam for comfort & support
  • Patented open-cell NutraTemp™ Memory Foam allows airflow to keep you at a comfortable temperature all night
  • Memory Foam relieves pressure points & improves circulation
  • Luxurious, soft, 233 thread count cotton cover lined withrevolutionary Climarelle™ fabric absorbs excess heat & releases it as needed for an ideal sleeping climate; stretch-to-fit & machine washable
  • Hypo-allergenic

P.S. We do currently have cheap memory foam pillows that we have never had any heat issues with, but our current mattress is unbelieveably HOT (and sagging after just 6 months)! Can't wait until it's gone!!

Re: Can a claim that a memory foam topper does not sleep hot be true?
Reply #1 Jul 1, 2010 12:23 PM
This is the the same topper that I just returned to costco. It really is hot. It's so thick that you sink in and are surrounded by the foam, and that was generating a lot of heat for me. It may be cooler than other memory foam toppers, but it slept hot for me.
Reply #2 Jul 1, 2010 1:03 PM
Bummer. I was also looking at the Pure Comfort topper on costco.com, but thought that maybe the Right-Temp topper would be cooler (since that's what it claims). Are you still liking your Flobed topper? I am worried that my latex mattress is going to be too firm for me, that is why I am anticipating ordering a topper.
Reply #3 Jul 1, 2010 3:02 PM
We have the Pure Comfort topper on our basement bed (basement tends to be quite cool) and we don't find it sleeps hot or at least not any hotter than the foam mattress did before we got the topper.  Mind you, we are both light weight (100 and 175 lbs) and maybe we don't sink in very much.  We just got another Pure Comfort for our lake cabin bed and this will be the first weekend we sleep on it.  I'll report back if it sleeps hot out there as the cabin tends to be warmer than our city house.
Reply #4 Jul 1, 2010 3:42 PM
I am sure the heavier you are the more you are sinking and the hotter you are.  Even with latex you can be hot if you sink in too much.  It is still rubber and would be warm to me.
Reply #5 Jul 12, 2010 8:18 AM
Yes, I am still loving my Flobed topper! We were on vacation for a week and it was heaven coming back to sleep in the bed!
Reply #6 Jul 12, 2010 2:20 PM
Q119 wrote:

Yes, I am still loving my Flobed topper! We were on vacation for a week and it was heaven coming back to sleep in the bed!

Hi. Glad to hear that you are happy. How much did you pay for this topper? Can you provide the link from where one can get this topper? Thanks.

EDIT: This is so weird. Flobeds does not sell its topper by itself. You have to buy the flobeds mattress also to get the topper.

how did you get this topper without buying the flobeds mattress? Thanks.

This message was modified Jul 12, 2010 by roy1
Reply #7 Jul 13, 2010 1:28 PM
I purchased the eastern king 2 inch convoluted topper from Flobeds for $375. It says you can't purchase it separately, but I did without a problem.
Reply #8 Jul 13, 2010 2:01 PM
Yeah, they say anything to get you to buy a product.  Have to use common sense.  Memory foam doesn't lift you, you always sink. It is not supportive, it sinks according to your weight.  No rebound....just sink. 

From reading your post, I'm going to venture a guess and say that whatever foam is in your 6 month old mattress is crap and you would benefit from doing mattress surgery and removing it.  It does no good to add toppers to a mattress that is sagging , just makes the problem worse if anything.  Your answer has to solve the problem.  If your bed is sagging, and has springs, the foam has failed.  Not that hard to remove it and add back in about 4" of whatever foam you'd like...can be a topper, or whatever.  You can mix and match.

Hope this hels.

Kait

Reply #9 Jul 13, 2010 6:00 PM
That's true about sagging mattresses. However, with my mattress, when I did the surgery I found out it was my springs that were sagging. It was a firm mattress with very little foam - *maybe* a quarter inch. Until I received the new mattress, I had to roll up some blankets like a burrito and place them vertically along the center of my box springs, just to push the middle of the mattress up so that it wasn't sagging anymore. I posted pics of my surgery and the fix...I think it was sometime in April.

Recent Posts