Best mattress for heavy man...?
Nov 6, 2011 7:09 PM
Since people here are "in the know" - I'm curious what mattress would you nice folks recommend for a big heavy guy... I'm about 6 ft and 375 pounds (no jokes please).   So yeah, I know I'm a fatty.  I've had back issues since I was a kid, having curvature of my spine - and I live with back pain every day.

I know some people love memory foam beds like tempurpedic, I've heard lots of negatives especially for heavy people, like heat, sinking in so far its hard to climb out in the morning, and simply not being able to hold up the weight of a man my size.

We had a serta pillow top, junk. replaced it within a year of purchase because it was just plain bad.... probably a better bed for someone more in the normal range of weight - but it was really uncomfortable for me.

Recently bought a stearns and foster abby lynn mattress from a s&f retailer clearance center, and got a great deal.  So far, I really like it, with the exception that the foam edge on my side has collapsed like, it has little to no rigidness (if that's a real word), you can sit on the edge on my wife's side and it firm and holds me up... on my side, I feel like I go all the way down to the box springs.  And yeah, it was like that from minute one - I guess that's why it was on clearance. The edge doesn't seem to affect  my side while sleeping however, only when I'm really close to that edge. otherwise, its great.

But what would YOU suggest as a good comfortable mattress for a guy my size????

Re: Best mattress for heavy man...?
Reply #1 Nov 7, 2011 3:41 PM
edwinsmoz wrote:

EDWINS IS A SALEMAN FOR INTELLIBED

Reply #2 Nov 14, 2011 7:38 PM
I have a friend, male, who is 6'2" or 6'3" and weighs over 400 lbs but not many scales can weigh him, exactly.  He has an Original Mattress Factory, Orthopedic Extra Firm, with the double row of foam cylinders for edge support.  He says it's the only thing that suooprts his weight ans holds up well.  He bought it as mattress + box spring set in 2007.     When I checked with OMF last Fall and again in March 2011, they told me that they don't offer the double row of foal edge supports, it's just a single row now, due to not wanting to flammability-test it.   I take that to mean that the double row probably didn't pass or won't pass, so now thwy sell only a single row or no additional edge support.  That set runs around $900 or something.  The prices are posted on their web site.   The only way to get a discounted price is to buy the floor model whenever they change the displays.
Reply #3 Nov 15, 2011 10:09 PM
Toaster,

Did you receive my private message?

Reply #4 Nov 25, 2011 12:37 AM
When I used to sell Simmons as one of my brands, my experience was based on the line-up I had at the time:

All Beautyrest...

Studio - 713 Coils

Classic - 800 Coils

Anniversary - 850 Coils

World Class - 1000 Coils

Based on the coil counts (within THAT particular brand) I would direct my heavier customer to the Anniversary or the World Class depending on how they slept. The baisc idea is that the more coils (again, within the same brand or line) will provide more support because each coil has to work less due to the extra coils: i.e. if you fall down the steps, do you want 10 hands reaching out to catch you or 20 hands? I also used to sell Select Comfort and will attest (even though I had more warranty problems than I care to remember) that they willingly proclaim a "up to 1000 pound weight per side" in their presentation to retailers. This is the only brand who made that claim that I have ever worked with (that includes Simmons, Sealy, Spring Air, Select Comfort, Serta and Tempurpedic)

Ultimately, I believe that when you try the bed (for at least 15 minutes at your particular weight level, if you have any reservations for edge support or durability or comfort... they wil only magnify over time. Find the one with the least amount of reservations!

Reply #5 Nov 27, 2011 3:18 AM
hI Toaster:

When you mentation that you are a fatty with 375 pounds, I just think of my boss!  He is a fat man too. 

For the fat people pocket spring with latex mattress is suitable.   Latex is cool and flexitable to human body, as we know the temputer between the body and mattress is 29'C, fat

people maybe higher than this number. 5 cm Latex on the top can keep your body in a good temputer and support all the pressure point of the body, keep your blood around! And the

pocket spring can hold your spine in the steight position, relatex your muscle so that you can enjoy a good sleeping.

The point is you have to choise a very firm mattress, 1.6mm diameter spring wire is soft mattress and suitable to 50-100kg weight,    1.8mm diameter spring wire is standard and

suitable to 100-150 kg weight,  2.0mm diameter spring wire is very firm and suitable for you!

To reduce the compress of the mattress, we can add 2.5cm soft foam on the topper, then it will helpful for you and got a better feeling. Of courese join 2cm memory foam on the top of latex can make the mattress more comfortable.

The mattress size must be large so that you have enough space to turn over the body. 

If you are free to China, maybe I can design a mattress for you. he he!

But in here, the forum moderator is better than me!

Derick

Reply #6 Dec 3, 2011 12:53 PM
I am a mattress retailer in Canada. Each individual deserves a different bed.  Heavier people should be on a latex bed. The reason is, the heavier a person is the harder they will be on a set of coils.  For durability and pressure relief a latex bed is superior

Recent Posts