BACK SLEEPERS - What Tempur-Pedic ...Cloud?
Mar 17, 2012 7:26 PM
I'm 5'10, 145 lbs with no significant back problems except maybe a tighter lower back due to flat feet. 

When I purchased my current medium-firm spring mattress, it took a good month for it to feel comfortable, mainly because it felt like it was "pushing" up on my lower back which was relieved by standing up and bending over/stretching...you know that feeeling. Thankfully, my current mattress conformed to my body by creating a little caccoon but when someone else sleeps in the bed with me, it's unbearbly uncomfortable with a lot of back pain (one of the main reasons I want a TP).

So my question is this, since I ONLY SLEEP ON MY BACK, given my weight and size, what matress should I be looking at from the Tempur-Pedic line. Back-sleepers, what is most comfortable for you?

I went to the store today and tried all the Tempur-Pedic's and found the CLOUD-SUPREME & CLOUD-LUXE to be most comfortable, but will they bother me after many nights. The RHAPSODY seemed to firm after trying the CLOUDs and the TEMPUR-CONTOUR select was too firm but maybe it's just an adjustment period to get used to them?

I just don't want that pushing up feel in my lower back which drove me crazy, but definately need support. I CAN'T sleep on sofas and find EXTREMELY SOFT mattress's extremely uncomfortable leaving me with real pack pain so I fear the CLOUD-SUPREME may get too soft and cause back pain, but maybe it's soft with the appropiate firmness underneath?

Any advice, especially from BACK-SLEEPERS (I never sleep on my side) would be much appreciated. The store rep said I'm too small/light for the CONTOUR line and that it doesn't distribute my weight appropiately...too many pressure points. Is there any accuracy to this? And where do you draw the line between too many pressure points (for a firm mattress) and 0 pressure points (an extremely soft mattress)?

This message was modified Mar 17, 2012 by HighVolt29
Re: BACK SLEEPERS - What Tempur-Pedic ...Cloud?
Reply #1 Mar 17, 2012 9:49 PM
I don't think I would go any softer than the cloud for a back sleeper.  They will soften a bit with use.  Tempurpedic have been great for my lower back and neck problems.  However, I do use it with an adjustable base which helps alleviate all kinds of problems.  And these are not miracle mattresses, so don't expect all your aches and pains to miraculously dissapear.  It has been a great investment for me and my wife.  Good luck.
Reply #2 Mar 19, 2012 12:02 AM
According to your weight,height & sleeping habbit, I recommend the Cloud Supreme. It will provide adequate support & comfort.

The Cloud Luxe will definitely be too soft.

Reply #3 Mar 19, 2012 1:03 PM
canuck wrote:

According to your weight,height & sleeping habbit, I recommend the Cloud Supreme. It will provide adequate support & comfort.

The Cloud Luxe will definitely be too soft.

I came across this forum todday. my old sealy posterpedic is 12 years old and I am trying to find a good bed.

Everybody is talking so good about tempurpedic mattress. Could they work for me?

My weight is 209 pounds. height is 6'.1", sleeping habit sideways sleeping. which model will provide adequate support & comfort?

Appreciate your advice.

Reply #4 Mar 21, 2012 2:06 AM
SRNH wrote:

High Volt,

Why TempurPedic? People may get tired of me saying this on the forum but I would bet you there is a local manufacturer in your area that produces mattress as high quality if not better than TempurPedic and at lower cost.

I found five great local manufacturers near me in New England all of whom make innerspring, memory foam and latex beds.

Look around and you will be surprised at quality and price.

Best of luck.

I have read all your posts. You are very vague. No specifics.

Just generalized statements which are not helpful.

This message was modified Mar 21, 2012 by markfromdallas
Reply #5 Mar 21, 2012 8:42 AM
markfromdallas wrote:

I have read all your posts. You are very vague. No specifics.

Just generalized statements which are not helpful.

Mark,

i would be happy to provide you with specifics. My primary mission right now is to try and steer people in the direction of local manufacturers which produce excellent products at good prices. With five children I have to be budget conscious but I also want an excellent product and if I can support the local and U.S. economy without I will.

if people ask I will try to help as much as possible. See your other post for a suggestion on your latex mattress search.

SRNH

Reply #6 Mar 21, 2012 5:01 PM
Let me get this straight SNRH.  You bought a memory foam mattress 7 years ago with specs that blew Tempurpedic out of the water.  However it failed within 6 months, or something to that effect.  Now you are trying to convince us local is the way to go.  I have no problem with that.  But you have not even taken delivery or slept on this soon to be 'best quality bed'.  So we might be a bit skeptical at this point of your recommendations.

Everyone will convince you they have a way better product than Tempurpedic for less.  Serta is doing an excellent job with that now.  However, I don't buy it.  There's a new greater product than Tempur. coming out everyday.  That's what happens when you are king of the hill.  Everyones trying to knock you off.  And there's a sucker born every minute who buys into it.  I personally know people who have had their Tempurpedic for 15 years now, that still is in use. And many more with over 8 years of use.  I have had my Tempurpedic for 3 years now, and it still looks new.  And it feels great.  I doubt it will suddenly fail for any reason.  From what I understand they are the only company who makes their own visco foam.  And they have not changed it for decades.  Maybe more dense or less dense, but the ingrediants remain the same.  So as far as I'm concerned they are worth the money they ask for them.  Or you could go the cheap route and hope for the best.  I'm still a believer of 'You get what you pay for'.

BTW:  Our local mattress assembler is no longer in business.

Reply #7 Mar 21, 2012 5:31 PM
Good Sleep,

There will always be doubters. I have studied and researched and just want people to know that there are good options out there aside from the big names who don't always make the best product. FYI the specs sheets in terms of foam density, ILD, etc, of my old mattress vs TempurPedic showed components that were equivalent to better. Now the fact was that even with rotation there was the industry standard sag and for me with my size and back issues it was no good. 

Also Essentia produces its own foam as well as TempurPedic.

Lets just keep helping folks try to get the best deal possible and if we can support local American businesses.

Reply #8 Mar 21, 2012 6:27 PM
Agreed.  Sometimes cheap is expensive. I've learned this the hard way over the years.  With many beds.

Tempurpedic manufactures their beds in New Mexico and Kentucky from what I understand.  I bought mine from a locally owned business as well, vs. Sleep Country.  Better service, quicker delivery, and a better sales experience..

Recent Posts