All wool mattress
Jun 4, 2011 1:30 AM
So I'm pretty well decided on getting an all-wool mattress after many moons of researching all the options.. i've seen three manufactuers so far here in the US - still googling through the list.  But I haven't seen any like this - why don't we have "real" wool mattresses like this one available in the US?

http://www.secretsofparis.com/heathers-secret-blog/hand-made-wool-mattresses-in-paris.html

Low tech - it's not like asking for the moon with a fence around it.

Re: All wool mattress
Reply #4 Jun 4, 2011 11:09 PM
budgy wrote:

Surround Ewe...search google ;)

Thanks, Budgy! Yeah, I've seen that and they definitely offer the thickest wool mattress I've come across in the US. Looks like a good company, too. Think I'll chat with them! I appreciate your vote of confidence - I feel a bit uneasy since there are no returns and it's quite a chunk of change to spend, though not compared to ... Tempurpedic, etc! :>)

Reply #5 Jun 4, 2011 11:48 PM
Please share with us what you learn.  I kind of like the idea of an all wool mattress, but there's not a lot of info out there to help decide how to buy one.  What thickness, configuration, etc are best for adults.  Would be nice to learn about other options.  Somehow I think of wool as being too firm.  Can't wait to get my Savvy Rest; will be another month since they are shipping the mattress with the bed.
Reply #6 Jun 5, 2011 12:55 AM
Have you check out Holy Lamb Organics?

http://holylamborganics.com/organicmattresses.html

Definitely not the same, but might get you close.

Reply #7 Jun 5, 2011 4:24 PM
Angel wrote:

Have you check out Holy Lamb Organics?

http://holylamborganics.com/organicmattresses.html

Definitely not the same, but might get you close.

Yes, but thanks! I appreciate people helping me out here! One thing I'm a little puzzled by, maybe Budgy or someone knows the answer to. The wool mattresses from Holy Lamb and Shepherd's Dream both recommend putting them on slat foundations. Surround Ewe says theirs can be used on any type of foundation. Any clues about why this would be different, or if it really matters? Recommendations? Don't want mold! And I don't want a hard unyielding surface either, although I can always add a topper if it is too firm for me....

Reply #8 Jun 14, 2011 11:17 PM
I'm glad you brought up this topic as I'm thinking about the same thing! 

For all-wool mattresses, the 3 places I've found are: Shepherd's Dream (5" and 4" mattress, 3" and 1.5" toppers), Surround Ewe (5" and 8" mattresses, choices of 2-5" pre-compressed toppers), and White Lotus home (6" mattress or they can customize height I think, 3" and 1.5" toppers). 

I've found a number of comments online in other forums where people like their wool mattresses and toppers, though many say it is pretty hard and they can feel the wool slats underneath.  Most complaints have been on the toppers and are pretty much about compacting unevenly or just not being worth the hefty price.  The most common setup I've read about is to have a 5" or so mattress, which is quite firm because it's pre-compressed, followed by one or even two thick toppers for more softness (so, about 3-6" of non-compressed wool), on a wood slat frame.  Most say the mattresses and toppers will compress so you have to lay all over it as best you can to keep it even.  Shepherd's Dream sells latex strips to use as slats for more softness, but they are really pricey ($500 for a queen).

I'm not sure on the bed frame.  Surround Ewe says the wool will breathe fine on a solid wool bed, though they use slats in the store I believe.  Shepherd's Dream and White Lotus say wool should really be on slats to let it air.  I would think it's sort of like latex.  Some mattress places have told me latex is fine on a solid wood bed but it seems like slats are ideal.

I haven't tried any of the products I've mentioned, just read about them online.  I do have a 3" wool topper from another company that I think would have been good new, but it was a floor model and the wool wasn't springy anymore in the middle.  I would say be very careful to make sure you try to use the whole mattress or topper so it compresses evenly unless you don't mind a dip.

Reply #9 Jun 15, 2011 12:02 PM
I bought a wool mattress and had many of the same questions, and was frustrated  

that there were not a lot of reviews available, so hope this feedback helps.....(please note this is my opinion only)

In my previous thread "Latex - getting it right" I recounted how
with the latex layers we had to work with, we never could get it right! 
The layers we had started with were probably too soft to begin with,
and the bed hurt our backs. With more time and firmer layers, it might
have worked very well, but time ran out. So the search for a new
mattress continued.

My criteria for a mattress was to find one that was both comfortable
and supportive, and also, very importantly, non toxic.   In our search,
in addition to the latex kit, we had also tried a cotton innerspring (cementlike) and an
"S" brand (couldn't handle the offgassing).

So we finally tried wool. The wool bed comes in 2 parts - a mattress (looks like a futon) of
compressed wool on the bottom, and a wool topper on top. So basically
the whole thing looks like a thinner futon sitting on top of a thicker
futon. The bottom mattress is very firm and provides the support, while
the topper provides the comfort layer. I don't think I could sleep on the mattress alone, it would
be way too firm, the topper is definitely essential for comfort. Both pieces are stuffed with
wool only - no foam, springs or other parts. I have the bed sitting on
a very closely-slatted wood frame, but it could probably also sit on a solid
wood platform or a box spring.

First, the aesthetics of the bed and the workmanship are really lovely.
I was quite pleased. The mattress and topper are very well stuffed and
although the topper was a tad thinner than expected, it is still comfy and quite substantial. 
They are a soft off-white color. They have only the faintest smell of wool and I find
it much more pleasing and much nicer smelling than the latex.

The wool is warm and cozy.  I look forward to going to bed at night and don't
want to get out of bed in the morning. In a cold winter climate, this
bed would be absolutely heavenly! The bed does give off some warmth but
the warmth is really relaxing on my muscles, which is probably why I
want to linger in the morning. As a change of lifer, I was concerned it
would be too warm, but it hasn't made that problem worse at all, in
fact it feels quite dry.   The bed has a very soothing, calming, relaxing quality that I can't say I have
ever felt in any other bed. 

The mattress is advertised as being fire retardant and chemical free as
the wool does the work, and I hope this is indeed true as it is the
major reason I bought it.   I'm still getting used to the feel of the
bed as it is different than anything I'm used to.  I would describe the
topper as maybe if you piled up a pile of wool sweaters and slept on
them.   If you like a bed that is bouncy or super soft, this would
probably not be for you, as it is essentially a flat, natural fiber
futon with no foam, zoning, orthopedic features or springs. I briefly
laid on a cotton futon in a store and I would say that the feel is
similar except that the wool is a bit more comfortable and softer than
cotton.

My back feels better on this bed than on the latex kit, but not as good as on my old
innerspring. Wool does compress, and as the bed is still fairly new I am
having to sleep all over it to try to get it to compress evenly, though as other
reviewers have said, it does seem to be compressing more in the middle than the
 sides, and the topper is becoming harder.  

The wool is much easier to move and flip than the latex. The
pieces are lighter and not so unwieldly. That is good as the wool bed is supposed to be
aired out in the sun or vacuumed several times a year. It does
require some upkeep. Supposedly, wool beds last for many, many years
and I hope that is so.

The wool bed is non-returnable/refundable, so that
was a big sticking point and kept me from ordering for a long time, and
so it is a relief that it is working okay for me.

Of the three "natural" beds that we tried --- latex, cotton and wool --- we prefer
the wool. Do I like this bed as much as my old Spring Air Back Supporter
innerspring ? No.  But, it is working out ok so far and I am relieved
that my epic mattress search is over, at least for now.
This message was modified Jun 28, 2011 by jasmine
Reply #10 Jun 16, 2011 2:36 PM
Hello Jasmine, thanks so much for writing a thorough review of your wool mattress experience.  

What brand of wool mattress did you buy?

Reply #11 Jun 17, 2011 1:44 PM
I second Budgy's comment and question! Thank you very much, Jasmine!

I have not yet purchased any wool mattress because it is so expensive and there is no return allowed. I really love the concept of it, and appreciate your very thorough review.

I am currently using a pretty thick (3"?) wool topper over some residual PU foam (1"?) I had left over from camping, over a very old beautyrest spring mattress. It's okay, sometimes better than others. As long as I find the right place, it feels quite all right.

I am really hesitating because I am concerned about the wool mattress being or becoming overly firm.

You mention using it over wood slats. I saw Shepherd's Dream's latex covered slats.

I am wondering about those kinds of - don't know what to call it - where there is a network of metal pieces linked together that allows for flexibility. Not really a platform or a box spring set up. I'm just wondering if something like that might help incorporate the flexibility needed without going to the expense of the latex-coated slats. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? What if I were to find something like that and use that to support a wool mattress?

Or maybe just get a new inexpensive innerspring mattress and keep using my wool topper, etc., though I don't know how much better that would be than what I've got. I did some minor mattress surgery and removed the quilted cover from my ole mattress - the springs look fine, but I think they just have gradually lost their springiness in the weightbearing areas over lo these many years.

Thinking aloud - appreciate everyone on this forum.

Reply #12 Jul 6, 2011 11:00 PM
Are these wool mattresses hot to sleep on?
Reply #13 Jul 8, 2011 12:41 AM
I don't think so.  My wool topper feels more comfortable temperature-wise than my old memory foam topper or the polyester comforter I used as a topper before.  It can get very warm, but never really hot/clammy so far, and it's pretty hot here now.  I think it's because the wool keeps you drier and it doesn't feel as hot when you're not sweaty.

Recent Posts