Zoning latex
Jan 18, 2008 11:31 AM
Here's an earlier post of mine:

"If you are committed to making latex work (durability, comfort, anti-allergen) you may want to try the masochists route and build a zoned mattress, starting with a topper. My 3"/36ILD Talatech has arrived but still haven't unpacked it and replaced the temporary 3" PU piece run latitudinally in hip region. The PU has worked well--absolutely no lower back pain for 2 weeks with present set-up (4" roughly 20 ILD for legs/shoulders and 1" 20 ILD over 3" guesstimated 33 ILD PU for roughly 3' hip region). It's not rocket science. IMO, this is how latex mattresses should me constructed. Being able to vary the sides is nice, but offering variable support for various regions more important. In fact, I would bet that a king mattress consisting of: 10 strips of 3" x 14" x 80" and 2 strips of 3" x 10" x 80" of 44,36,and 28 (allows offset of latitudinal cracks between layers) topped by 2" of kingsize 28 ILD would be comfortable for almost everyone wtithout a lot of shipping. The 14" by 80" could have split side ILDs with factory glue seams for even more flexibility. Just keep the hips and shoulders happy--the ILD of the lower leg core is not very important so the "extra" ends up there. Containing it all within a nonstretch bottom and sides, with a stretch top cover would probably be sufficient (maybe with 3" deep cross support baffles at knees and nipples (24" and 28" from head and toe) for lowest level), though could eventually be spray glued. Zoned mattresses along these lines are available, but the ones I've heard of are pre-glued."

Update:
It works. Twin 3", 36 ILD (actually around 33) in place in hip region. 1" Overstock convoluted latex brings it up to roughly 3" in shoulder and lower leg. 2 layers of 1" mated Overstock convoluted covers everything. The spine stays straight and parallel to floor. Very comfortable, though probably could use a bit more soft depth for shoulders (another 3" layer of soft). The convoluted eventually will be replaced with better quality latex. Hips can probably use 44 for its additional 3" layer. Final depth will be around 8". NO lower back issues. I would encourage anyone experiencing problems with latex to try arranging materials sideways, folding, etc.. Sleep on it. No need to cut at this stage. Can even remove sofa seating PU cushions to access additional materials for testing.

Recent Posts