would anyone mind helping me evaluate the content of this mattress (Sealy Springfree latex)
Feb 20, 2008 9:13 PM
here is the list of contents according to one website that carries the mattress.  I'm trying to make sure that the core of this matress is actually all latex, not just some latex.  I realize that there are some layers (comfort layers) that are pu foam, and if I click on it it claims to be high density foam, any comments on that?)

Quilt - Top of Mattress
1 ounce FlameGuard Fiber
Fire-Safety Certified
1 1/4" x 1/2" Convoluted InfiniLux
1" SuperSoft SealyFoam

Padding Layers
3/4" Sealy Latex
1 1/2" SuperSoft SealyFoam
3/4" Sealy Latex
Versare Inner Panel
1" x 1/2" Convoluted Latex SealyFoam
1/2" SuperSoft SealyFoam
3/4" Sealy Latex

SpringFree Core
3 layers of Latex laminated together
1.6" Plush Luxury Latex Foam
1.6" Firm Luxury Latex Foam
5.7" Firm Luxury Latex Foam

Description of "supersoft sealy foam"
Description
High quality and high density Polyurethane foam.
Benefit
Cushions and conforms to your body for a plusher, more comfortable feel. SuperSoft SealyFoam is made through an innovative process which produces a more uniform cell structure. And it's 10% more durable than regular foam.
Analogy
This uniform cell structure is like the strength and uniformity of building with bricks vs. the inconsistent shapes of stones.

Description of "Luxury Latex Foam"
Features Luxury Latex Foam contours to your body’s curves, and moves with you as you move in the bed, providing continuous orthopedic support.

As the Luxury Latex Foam contours to your body, your body weight is spread over your entire sleeping surface. The contouring effect spreads your body weight over more of the sleeping surface and minimizes "pressure points", thereby creating a more comfortable sleep. Pressure points can create discomfort and cause you to toss and turn more frequently, so Latex’s contouring property reduces pressure points to help you toss and turn less, and sleep better.

In addition, another feature of Luxury Latex Foam is the "open cell" structure that enables the mattress to "breath". This feature allows the release of body heat and moisture keeping the sleeping surface comfortable.

Description of the "InfiniLux"
Description
Delivers the amazing comfort and resiliency of the best latex foams, and is engineered for superior quality and durability.
Analogy
Like a carton safely cradles eggs, it allows you to nestle in secure comfort

----I realize that is a misleading description that implies it is actually latex but it's not.  Clever buggers-----
Re: would anyone mind helping me evaluate the content of this mattress (Sealy Springfree latex)
Reply #9 Feb 22, 2008 8:03 AM
These mattress are difficult to compare by name as each store has  a different name for these mattresses. There are only 5 different spring free mattresses firm, plush, ultra plush, plush euro pillowtop and ultra plush box top. The mattress I tried was the ultra plush model, but I would like to try the plush model which is less expensive.  The plush model supposedly offers more support and has less foam. Anyone have any experience/input on the plush model?

Thanks

Re: would anyone mind helping me evaluate the content of this mattress (Sealy Springfree latex)
Reply #10 Feb 22, 2008 9:06 AM
for some reason I just grabbed the specs off a random s/f latex model, NOT the saybrook point which is the one we are looking at.  I was gettingmore at the material content, not the specific amounts of materials.  Sorry for the confusion!    Here are the layers of the Saybrook Point:

• Exquisite Quilt  Cover  
    • 1.0 ounce FlameGuard Silk/Wool Blend 
    • 1-1/2 x 1/2 " Convoluted SuperSoft Flawless Foam
    • 1/2" Supersoft Flawless Foam
  • Comfort Layers
    • 1 x 1/2" Convoluted Genuine Latex Foam
    • 1/4" Genuine Latex Foam
    • 1" SuperSoft Flawless Foam
  • Core
    • 1.57" Plush Luxury Latex
    • 1.57" Firm Luxury Latex
    • 5.71" Firm Luxury Latex

Reply #11 Feb 22, 2008 3:13 PM
Regarding S & F and Sealy Latex Mattresses--I actually talked to a Sealy rep who told me the firmness of their latex cores in all the Springfree mattresses: the 1.57 "Luxury Layer" is 35, their 2nd two "Firm Luxury Layers" are 45.6.  Don't know if that's accurate, it's just what was told to me. Hope that helps a little. All I know is that without some padding those mattresses feel too hard for me.
Reply #12 Feb 22, 2008 4:29 PM
"1.57" Plush Luxury Latex
1.57" Firm Luxury Latex
5.71" Firm Luxury Latex"

More S brand BS! Anyone here tried to measure .57 inches or .71, especially with latex foam? Same goes for claiming 45.6 ILD.
Reply #13 Feb 23, 2008 12:39 AM
I think some people find it hard to believe that names  like "Sealy" and "Sterns and Foster" make crappy mattresses.

They'll have to learn for themselves.

Reply #14 Feb 23, 2008 12:36 PM
I certainly do believe it.  I'm looking for a replacement for my S/F right now.  It's just the more I read the more complicated this gets.  Not only do I have to figure out the layers of latex top to bottom, now I have to figure out the zones as well.  That makes for (forgive my poor math skills) a heck of a large number of variables and possible combinations to try before getting it right.  *sigh*

jimsocal wrote:
I think some people find it hard to believe that names  like "Sealy" and "Sterns and Foster" make crappy mattresses.

They'll have to learn for themselves.

Reply #15 Feb 23, 2008 9:47 PM
LPAD wrote:
I certainly do believe it.  I'm looking for a replacement for my S/F right now.  It's just the more I read the more complicated this gets.  Not only do I have to figure out the layers of latex top to bottom, now I have to figure out the zones as well.  That makes for (forgive my poor math skills) a heck of a large number of variables and possible combinations to try before getting it right.  *sigh*

It really isn't that complicated for most people. It becomes more complicated if you have back or neck or shoulder problems.

For most people, I don't think zones are necessary. Maybe better, but not necessary.

Not to be a shill for flobeds, but it's really a good business model (at least from the customers' point of view; I have no idea how much money they're making, LOL!) because they have people there you can call who can help you decide what will work for you, based on your weight and height and sleeping habits. Then they will ship you pieces that allow you to adjust the bed in various ways for very little or no extra money, depending on how long it takes you to get it right. They offer memory foam and latex so between the two combinations you can usually find something you like. So I'd guess that about 80% or more of their customers get a bed they are happy with from them. And what is great is: It won't wear out in a few years, and you can always change it / upgrade it by changing the firmnesses or materials inside the mattress, as time goes on and things change with your body. (I have no connection to flobeds. In fact, I am one of their FAILED customers because I simply did not like the feel of Talalay latex. But they took the mattress back and refunded my money minus shipping, no questions asked, no hassle!)

There are other web sites that offer cheaper deals on latex but less liberal return policies and if you search here you will find those companies and some of their happy customers.

if you really don't care that much about looks(though even this can be dressed up quite a bit so no one would even notice it wasn't a normal mattress)  you can build your own wooden slatted platform or buy one, and build your own mattress much cheaper than flobeds with just a little more work and a lot more flexibility.

See my thread on building my own or some of mccldwll's threads on zoning etc.. My idea - which is working out well for my wife though Im still experimenting with mine - is to either use a spring base from a cheap or old Sealy, then add something like the following: (this is my wife's mattress):

from top to bottom:

1" MEDIUM HR FOAM
1" FIRM HR FOAM
1/2" SUPER FIRM HR FOAM
1/2" SUPER FIRM HR FOAM (Yes, 2 layers of 1/2" Extra Firm)

We happen to also use zones but this is not necessary. The only difference in her's, above, wtih zones is that for the top 1/3 of the mattress she has 1" medium over 1" medium instead of 1" medium over 1" firm which is what she has for the middle 1/3. The bottom 1/3 doesn't really matter that much. We chose Medium over Extra firm so that we can use those to interchange in other areas if necessary.

The total cost of this mattress (not counting the springs which we got from our old Sealy) is about $85 and this foam is rated to last 15 years. Though I doubt it if really lasts that long. For this price I'll be happy if it lasts 3 years!

On my side, since I have back and shoulder issues I have used the following with some success, though I'm still experimenting:

For my top 1/3:
1" SOFT PU FOAM
1" MEDIUM HR FOAM
2 AND 1/2" SOFT 3LB OR 4LB(?) VISCO FOAM
NO BOTTOM LAYER OVER SPRINGS

For the middle third:
1" SOFT PU FOAM
1" MEDIUM HR FOAM
1" VERY FIRM HR FOAM
1/2" SUPER FIRM HR FOAM (ONLY 1/2", NOT 1" AS MY WIFE'S)

Because we are using the "Shell" of the Sealy once you put the sheets on it this looks like a regular mattress. My wife's even has the top still on it from the Sealy - oh yeah, and that adds about another 1/2" of pu foam and some dacron on top.

So far, this is the best mattress I have ever slept on. My wife loves her's. I still have back problems which may not be solvable with any mattress. But my back problems are much better now than they were with the Sealy even before it wore out completely (at 3 years in).

However, the same mattress above can be made without springs, by adding just a 5"-6" VERY FIRM HR CORE which costs maybe $100 for a twin. Or you could go out and buy a used or cheap mattress and tear it apart for the springs and "shell".

The thing about zoning is it really is not difficult to do. For example, let's say you're building a King size bed. A king size bed = 2 x extra long twins side by side.

An extra long twin is about 38" x 80". So you divide the 80" into 3 and come up with 3 sections of 26-and-2/3" each x 38" wide. You then buy, say, 6 pieces of one inch foam of whatever type you like, for each side of the king size bed. I'd say that you buy 3 medium pieces and 2 firm and one extra firm, some combination like that, maybe a couple extra pieces to play with. And 2 full extra long twin size bottom layers to go over the springs, of EXTRA FIRM, one half inch thick each, as I described above. OR, if you are using a 6" core instead of springs, skip that Extra firm 1" layer.

The pieces tend to stay together on their own, but if they don't you can either use a little spray glue made for foam, or you can use a tight elastic sheet around them or anything else you can think of - just a big piece of elastic maybe? If you use the shell of a spring mattress, the shell holds them in place.

You can substitute latex of either Dunlop or Talalay or "jungle" type for any of the layers and you can substitute memory foam for the top "1-2" layers (personally I think 2" is too much memory foam, though).

Hope this helps someone who wants to build their own mattress.

Reply #16 Feb 23, 2008 9:56 PM
LPAD wrote:
for some reason I just grabbed the specs off a random s/f latex model, NOT the saybrook point which is the one we are looking at.  I was gettingmore at the material content, not the specific amounts of materials.  Sorry for the confusion!    Here are the layers of the Saybrook Point:

• Exquisite Quilt  Cover  
    • 1.0 ounce FlameGuard Silk/Wool Blend 
    • 1-1/2 x 1/2 " Convoluted SuperSoft Flawless Foam
    • 1/2" Supersoft Flawless Foam
  • Comfort Layers
    • 1 x 1/2" Convoluted Genuine Latex Foam
    • 1/4" Genuine Latex Foam
    • 1" SuperSoft Flawless Foam
  • Core
    • 1.57" Plush Luxury Latex
    • 1.57" Firm Luxury Latex
    • 5.71" Firm Luxury Latex

NOte that the above configuration has 4 and 3/4" of SOFT foam on top of the core! That's WAY too much soft foam! No one could sleep comfortably on this for very long, because it gives NO support for the back, plus it is going to wear out maybe in a week, maybe in 3 months, but in any case, very soon!

Also, I question their listing a layer of 1/4" latex. I've never seen nor heard of it!

Reply #17 Feb 26, 2008 8:21 PM
Jim,
a couple more questions/thoughts......on the one hand I am liking the idea of getting a basic, 'good' coil firm mattress with almost zero padding, and then buying my own toppers, such as you are working through.  On the other hand, while a 'good' spring mattress is often recommended, the big S companies are always NOT recommended- so where to find a 'good' coil mattress.  What exactly IS a good coil and who makes it?

Second, a thought- I wonder if an upholsterer would be able to neatly open up a mattress to remove the crappy foam layers and then stitch it up again neatly or maybe even install a zipper?  Maybe this is cost prohibitive but it is just a thought I had.

I just can't make up my mind about what I want to do....every day I find myself giving up and just resolving to buy one of the S/F latex mattresses and then thinking that if/when it gets indentations to open it up and remove them and that at least I'll have the latex core.  I feel very hesitant to buy something that I can't feel first.  And why is flobeds so much cheaper than the savvy rest?  It looks like an identical product.

Lastly, where did you purchase your different foams from (if it was online that is).

thanks.
Jen
Reply #18 Feb 26, 2008 10:05 PM
Hi LPAD,

I did just what you have thought about doing. Over the weekend I purchased the Sealy/S&F mattress that you supplied contents of (the 2nd time): the Saybrook Point/River Crest/Meadow Crest/ Bedford Knoll. I slept on it last night and it was wonderful. I have had lower back, hip and neck pain and only woke up with neck pain due to a pillow thats too firm.

I plan to do what Jimsocial did and disassemble it if and when the top PU foam and convoluted latex wears out. It will still have a 9 inch latex core that is supposed to last for 20 years. The latex box top mattress that I just turned back into Costco was indeed too plush, but this one feels just right, at least for now.

I did get a big blessing because I found it on Craigs List for $750--original price $3150 at Bassett. It is only 1 year old, no body impressions and the young couple who had it thought it too soft. I haven't slept so good in months as I did last night. I wish you similar results with whatever you choose.

Recent Posts