Wool toppers - opinions / suggestions please
Feb 29, 2008 12:21 AM
Hi, how do you all feel about a 1" to  2" wool topper?

I ask because when we tried flobeds a few years ago, we bought a nice King size wool topper - about 1 and 1/2" thick I think - and I really liked the feel of it. Since we didn't keep the bed, and bought the topper from somewhere else, we now have the topper but since we went to using 2 twins instead of one King, I can't use it, it's too thick to double up.

So, does anyone use a wool topper? How do you like it?

Pros / cons?

Recommended brand or seller?

I think the way it's made would be very important as to whether it provides any support or not. The one we have actually does seem to provide some support and I like the feel of it much better than foam of any kind. I'm tempted to have it cut in half and re-sewn but not sure how expensive it would be to do that... (we don't have a sewing machine and I'm afraid cutting it might ruin it...) It did give that "sleeping on a cloud" feeling so it might ultimately be too non-supportive even for a topper...

This message was modified Feb 29, 2008 by jimsocal
Re: Wool toppers - opinions / suggestions please
Reply #1 Mar 1, 2008 3:26 PM
No one has tried wool toppers?

I am thinking I may just go ahead and cut this one in half and try it...
Reply #2 Mar 1, 2008 4:24 PM
I have a wool topper by Obasan that I'm really pleased with. It started out as 2 1/2", but as you probably already know, wool compresses like the dickens, so it's nowhere near as "fluffy" as it started out. Still feels great though, just a bit less cushy. Pricey, but I was able to find a good deal by digging around online. Another wool topper I would try is Vivetique's 3" version. Not as nicely sewn as the Obasan, but terrifically comfy.

I got mine strictly for comfort reasons, not support, so can't say if these would work for you or not. I have both the wool and a latex topper and while I like both, if one had to go I would definitely keep the wool.
Reply #3 Mar 1, 2008 4:29 PM
We have a fleece wool pad with a cotton backing made by Natura. It is called the "Wool on top reversable topper". You can see it here:

http://www.eco-furniture.com/mattress/natura-wool-on-top-mattress-pad_3049_20.php

It doesn't add much, if any, cushion to the system though as the fleece mats down fairly flat. It does not sound as cushy as the one you have. It's definitely more of a mattress pad than a topper. It's kind of a nice feel on top of the different foam toppers we have tried and a natural, breathable barrier between us and any not-so-natural materials beneath. You could try your wool topper again by letting one half drape over the side as someone else suggested on another topper thread.

I can't imagine it would be very hard to remake your one topper into two, though. If you have a sewing machine or have a friend with a sewing machine, it's just one straight seam. A seamstress or upholsterer probably wouldn't charge you very much either.
Reply #4 Mar 2, 2008 4:32 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback.

Recent Posts