Which shows body compressions more? 3/4" memory foam or 1" talalay latex? (toppers)
Sep 10, 2007 6:44 PM
Deleted original post.  Too many weird symbols that I didn't type! Will check to see how to make them go away and then re-post.
This message was modified Sep 10, 2007 by BeddyBye
Re: Which shows body compressions more? 3/4" memory foam or 1" talalay latex? (toppers)
Reply #1 Sep 10, 2007 7:00 PM
Well, I tried to figure out what all the weird symbols and letters were in my original post. had no luck. So, I'm just going to re-post my question that you see in the subject area:<BR><BR>
<DIV>I think I might want to soften up my comfort layer(just a wee bit. Right now I have a 32 ILD talalay latex topper over my zippered mattress (consisting of 44 ILD, 44 ILD and 45 PU over coils.) It feels great...but I hurt my shoulder recently and feel the need for a bit more cushioning when laying on my side. It feels fine on my back.<BR><BR>Question: Which would tend to be influenced by body impressions more3/4" memory foam topper from Overstock or the lower ILD latex topper, also from Overstock? I intend to put this UNDER my existing 1 inch 32 ILD latex topper, rather than add it to my actual mattress. And, I don't want it directly on top. I like the substantial feel of the latex under me. I just put the memory foam under the latex now and will try it out tonight. But I remembered I also had the latex topper. Hmmmm....which one would work best? The big difference I've felt with memory foam vs. latex is the feeling of a&nbsp;thud or stopping in my tracks as I get into bed (with the memory foam), as opposed to a bouncier or springier movement with the latex. Aside from those sensations, which one will be more likely to compress quicker and stay that way? In other words, I do NOT want to climb out of a hole in the morning! My lower back needs fairly straight and cushiony firm support.<BR><BR>You know, even with just the 32 ILD latex topper, I can still feel a slight permanent body depression where I lie everynight. I imagine it's the poly fil padding in my mattress cover compressing? Is this normal? In other words, is there just no way out of SOME body depressions over a course of time? It bugs me to see even a slight indentation! I suppose if I slept on the hard floor, I wouldn't have that problem. ;-) But then I wouldn't be too comfortable.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>I'm looking forward to hearing back re; memory foam vs. talalay latex and body compressions, overall.</DIV>
Re: Which shows body compressions more? 3/4" memory foam or 1" talalay latex? (toppers)
Reply #2 Sep 10, 2007 8:47 PM
Foam Nerd
 Which would tend to be influenced by body impressions more3/4" memory foam topper from Overstock or the lower ILD latex topper, also from Overstock?

I give 20 to 1 odds that the latex will hold up better. Latex is very resilient and keeps it's shape better than any other foam. The one caveat is the suspect quality of the latex in this case, but is there any really bad latex?
Reply #3 Sep 11, 2007 2:19 PM
I agree--it's a safe bet that the latex will hold up better. I just want to add that although I'm not a big fan of memory foam for various reasons, I have an inch of it on top of my mattress. Over the memory foam is an inch of latex. See my thread below about loving my mattress after a year.  Neither latex nor memory foam shows any change in this time.

Alisande
Reply #4 Sep 11, 2007 3:12 PM
I think you should go with which material feels best to you - either one will last a good long time, and a one or two inch piece of either is generally inexpensive enough that it can be replaced after a number of years.  Much less expensive than changing mattresses as too many of us on this forum already know!
Reply #5 Sep 11, 2007 5:33 PM
<SPAN style="COLOR: #0000cd"><STRONG>This is exactly what I did! Only instead of the softer Overstock latex, I have a firmer 32 ILD layer over the Overstock memory foam (approx. 1&amp;quot;. Closer to 3/4&amp;quot;.) I tried it for the first time last night and it was wonderful! It was neither too soft nor too firm. And, it felt supportive. Very nice feeling for both my side and back. I hope this configuration feels this great for a long time. My husband's side has the same two toppers, but his mattress is a wee bit firmer, changing the comfort level slightly. He has a 55 ILD HR 3/4&amp;quot; PU foam base above the coils, whereas mine is a 45 ILD. &amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;Anyway, thank you for your review, Alisande! Glad it's still working well for you! I know I sure didn't want to get out of bed this morning!<BR><BR></STRONG></SPAN> Alisande wrote:
I agree--it's a safe bet that the latex will hold up better. I just want to add that although I'm not a big fan of memory foam for various reasons, I have an inch of it on top of my mattress. Over the memory foam is an inch of latex. See my thread below about loving my mattress after a year. &amp;amp;amp;nbsp;Neither latex nor memory foam shows any change in this time.&amp;amp;lt;BR&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;BR&amp;amp;gt;Alisande
This message was modified Sep 11, 2007 by BeddyBye

Recent Posts