Which ILD latex for our height and weight?
Jun 15, 2017 6:00 PM
I'm looking to buy a latex mattress very soon and I'm seriously looking at Flobeds 12 inch natural latex mattress due to their great reviews, great customer service, and high quality products.

I just need help deciding on the firmness level.

I'm 5'10" 150lbs and my wife is 5'6 120lbs.

We are both side sleepers and I prefer medium/average firmness while she prefers softer feel, which I don't really mind either.

I would rather keep both sides uniform. Do they split the layers anyway even if both side are identical? If that's the case I may try a different setup for each side..

I was looking at the ILD ratings for their natural talalay latex and it's 22(soft), 28(medium), 32(firm), 36(x-firm).

I was leaning toward going with soft-med-firm but I felt like the ILD difference between medium and firm is quite small compared to other companies so I'm thinking of doing S-M-XtraFirm. I feel like this will provide better support overall without making the upper portion of the mattress any firmer.

I know that the softness of a mattress is very subjective but in your opinion, for our height and weight, do you guys think the Soft and medium layers will be too soft or just right? I know they also have the convoluted top layer which will make it feel softer already along with the wool cover so I'm just worried that it may feel too plush. I'm sure my wife will like it but not sure about myself.

It's either gonna be Soft-med-xtrafirm or med-firm-extrafirm. I did order the samples from them yesterday but I wanted to see if there was anybody with similar height and weight that's been using Flobeds mattress or any other latex mattress that can provide some insight.

Thanks for reading.
Re: Which ILD latex for our height and weight?
Reply #1 Jun 27, 2017 10:50 AM
Jaehoppa.  Both you and your wife are quite light and should not be scared of firm vs extra firm for the base.  Flobeds has a calculator that will tell you based on height and weight and sleep style what configuration you should get.  I would start from there and see how it goes.  If you don't like it call them and trade for a more appropriate setup.

How did you like the samples they sent?  Let us know how it goes.  Mattdud

Recent Posts