Where have all the eggcrates gone???
May 19, 2010 9:31 AM
I am a big fan of cheap PU eggcrates. Yes latex is nicer but for bang for the buck - making a hotel bed sleepable or doing a miracle cure on a friend's too hard mattress or just doing a test run to see if a softer foam will help - a foam eggcrate is hard to beat.

That said, I went shopping the other day for a king sized eggcrate to use in a project. Started at my  usual sources, Target and Pennys. Nothing but some viscous foam at Pennys and a few twin eggcrates at Target, but these were thin and just ridged rather than having the true eggcrate nubbles. Next to Walmart - some really cheap looking eggcrates with 1/4" of really dubious looking "memory foam" bonded to it. Finished up with Kohls, Sears and Marshalls - lot of overpriced Chinese memory foam, but no plain ol' eggcrates. Checked the same vendors online sites just in case the stores I visited were just out, and couldn't find anything more.

So it appears the good old foam eggcrate may be a thing of the past, driven off the topper market by low end memory foam. The convoluted eggcrate foam still seems available from specialty foam suppliers, but the cost by the time you get it cut and shipped is several times the cost I used to pay for a PU topper off the shelf at Target etc, which makes it much less of a bargain.

So if anyone knows where I can find decent king egg crate toppers please let me know. Wish I had stocked up on 3 or 4 kings, just to have them on hand!

Recent Posts