What can I expect on new Stearns and Foster entry level Luxury Plush?
Jun 7, 2011 6:33 PM
I have a new Stearns and Foster set due to come in June 10th.  It's the entry level Luxury line Sears calls 'Hearthstone Luxury Plush' without pillowtop.

I plan to protect it right away with a Protect O Bed waterproof cover.  This mattress has the individual coils.

I've heard some posts here about foam breaking down in the center sleeping area.  Is this what to expect in a year or two?

Would it be better to get a Posturepedic with the 'power packed' foam in the middle 1/3 of the mattress?  Or memory foam in that area? Or skip anything with regular high density foam?

Opinions appreciated, thanks.

This message was modified Jun 7, 2011 by slpngoc
Re: What can I expect on new Stearns and Foster entry level Luxury Plush?
Reply #1 Jun 9, 2011 11:01 PM
ALL the S Co mattresses will likely break down in a year or two. When they do, do mattress surgery (see highlighted posts at top of the forum re mattress surgery or DIY mattresses).

As to the new Sealys and some others with extra foam in the hip area I really don't know if they work or feel good or not. But in general I'd say the S&F is better than the Sealy. The starter S&F's don't have as many coils as the Simmons but I've not tried either so the S&F may or may not be good coils. Honestly if I were going to buy a spring mattress and couldn't afford too much money I'd probably look for a deal on one of the Simmons close out models. They just came out with new ones to replace their Classics so you could pick up a classic for a good price right now. I'm not sure how the Simmons classic compares to the S&F starters. I think they're about the same, more or less.

Please let us know how your S&F feels at first, and then after a month, then after 6 months...

Reply #2 Jun 14, 2011 1:11 AM
Had to cancel and reorder the mattress last Thursday.  Been sleeping on a twin.  I'm 6'2" and had a Posturepedic regular twin for about 9 yrs.  Obviously I need a twin XL.  I believe S&F has had individual coils in their mattresses for a couple years or so.  The twin has about 450 coils and they're supposed to be double tempered. I hope the foam holds up pretty well.  I'll let you guys know.  It's due to be here June 17th.  Sears S&F Hearthstone Luxury Plush twin XL matt & box, $1,012 + tax.
This message was modified Jun 14, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #3 Jun 18, 2011 1:26 PM
The Stearns and Foster entry level 'Hearthstone' (Sears) Luxury Plush twin XL set came in yesterday.  It's the traditional line, not Elite and does not have the Intellicoils, just double tempered pocketed coils.  Nicely packaged and it looks great.  When I put the bedskirt (dustruffle) on, I stood the mattress on its side.  Won't be doing that again.  I could tell it had a very slightly skewed look when I set it back on the box spring.  I massaged it to get it looking straight and it's fine, but no more standing the mattress on its side.

The Protect A Bed Premium waterproof protector fit perfectly and very snug.  Worth the $55. 

I'm not going to comment much on the comfort after only one night on it, but I had no aches or pains after one night.  I'll follow up in a few weeks.

Reply #4 Jul 1, 2011 10:48 AM
I've been sleeping two weeks on this bed, plenty of time to form a good impression (pun intended!).  It is a good bed for sure, but I won't call it spectacular.  I'm a die hard side sleeper with a tender right shoulder from a bench press injury and subsequent arthroscopic surgery years ago.  There is somewhat more pressure and push back into my left shoulder and of course my right.  I might be turning more often than I would on the right foam bed, so I've been looking again at the iComfort beds at Sears (this S&F is from Sears and I get one free comfort exchange).

The bed is a Plush and thank goodness for that.  The foam layers have of course formed and indentation conforming to my body.  I have no back or neck aches after a night's sleep, but my left shoulder has a good bit of pressure in the morning and my right shoulder as usual hurts a bit in the morning.  So, my shopping continues while in the 30 day free exchange period.  I'm also trying to train myself to sleep on my back with pillow under knees, but it's not going well.  I usually lay there without falling asleep.  After I roll onto left side, I fall asleep.  I'll keep trying as back sleeping would be a good alternative to sleeping on my right shoulder.

This message was modified Jul 1, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #5 Jul 1, 2011 2:32 PM
I got a tight top "firm" new bed on Jun 15. The first morning I awoke with both shoulders aching, but now it seems to be "broken in" (or I got used to it) and no more aches. However, it's still too firm for me so I decided to keep it and do what is advised on this forum - stay away from pillowtops, get the firmest bed you can live with and get a latex topper for it.

You can always add or take away layers of latex to suit yourself, and it's a lot easier and cheaper than returning beds or having to discard a perfectly good one due to broken down foam and huge depressions in the  top.

Reply #6 Jul 7, 2011 12:07 PM
DoreenA wrote:

I got a tight top "firm" new bed on Jun 15. The first morning I awoke with both shoulders aching, but now it seems to be "broken in" (or I got used to it) and no more aches. However, it's still too firm for me so I decided to keep it and do what is advised on this forum - stay away from pillowtops, get the firmest bed you can live with and get a latex topper for it.

You can always add or take away layers of latex to suit yourself, and it's a lot easier and cheaper than returning beds or having to discard a perfectly good one due to broken down foam and huge depressions in the  top.

Sounds like good advice.  So much easier to change toppers than mattresses. 

As for my complaining of extra right shoulder pain above, turns out I got into a bad habit of sticking my right elbow out while laying on right shoulder which was causing extra pain.  Best to have that elbow more down towards side.

Reply #7 Jul 7, 2011 12:26 PM
I've been on this this S&F Hearthstone (the entry level traditional line) Plush for 3 weeks now.  It's a good bed no doubt.  There is some indentation that remains after getting off the bed.  I don't have any backaches or neck pain after a night.  But I can't say the bed is spectacular.  I've also tried falling asleep on my back with pillow under knees, but I don't fall asleep til rolling onto left shoulder.  So, I'm thinking, this is it? 

So, I went to Sleep Train where a saleslady introduced a Tempur-pedic Cloud Luxe on an adjustable base.  That was an eye opener.  With feet elevated, seems I might be able to sleep on my back.  I can't do the Tempurpedic price now, so had to walk from that.

I suspect this S&F might not flex very well on an adjustable base.  S&F says a Plush model can be used on an adjustable, but not a firm.  I find that a little strange as it doesn't make sense.

I have one exchange opportunity with Sears, so I've got an iComfort Revolution mattresses on box spring coming 7/13.   Tonight I'm going to spend as long as possible on the store model.  I haven't detected any sinking in too much yet, but I'd rather detect something bad now than after the bed is delivered. 

This message was modified Jul 7, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts