Wading through the latex info... (and avoiding a kit)
Sep 10, 2007 8:48 PM
Greetings..  I'm in the market for a new mattress and have been wading through all the thoughtful commentary on this board..  There's a lot of technical info within and a lot of folks with a far stronger need/desire to spend the time customizing and re-customizing their mattress for that perfect fit..  With that said, I'm wondering if anyone would take a moment to help answer a few basic questions:

1 - If possible, I'd prefer *not* to go the kit route.  If I can walk into a store (in NYC) and buy a quality latex mattress, I'd be thrilled.  I've seen the Serta (Vera Wang), Spring Free (Sealy) and Nature's Rest at Sleepy's. (I think I liked the Vera Wang best thus far).   I know I can check out the Stearns & Foster and at least a few Englanders and Naturas locally.  Given these options, does one brand/line stand out from the others in some meaningful way (e.g. quality of latex or other structural components, lack of PU, etc)?  Does one brand/line provide a better standard configuration of latex cores?  Or, should I just go with what feels best?

2 - I read somewhere that natural latex could possibly have more of an odor than synthetic.  Is this a legitimate concern?

3 - (I posted this seperately too) - I've read it's best to get a firm mattress and put on a topper.  Do toppers have a tendency to slide around since they are not sewn to the mattress?  I've been told this is the case..

Any help appreciated!

Recent Posts