Verlo Mattress Factory
Oct 22, 2007 7:54 PM
Foam Nerd
I have been meaning to write this up for a few weeks and just keep putting it off. I paid a visit to a Verlo Mattress Factory a few weeks ago, and came away impressed. If you are looking for a conventional mattress, and just don't want to pay an arm and a leg for one, check to see if you have one of these in your area. I believe they are concentrated mainly in the Northeast, but I'm not positive. The mattress I would have bought from them would have cost just over $1000 for a Cal King set. It was a two-sided mattress very much like what I have slept on for the last 13 years.

They had a large number of mattresses in their showroom. 20 at least iirc. All of their mattresses are two-sided. They make some pillow top mattresses but they are pillow top on both sides, which make for some outrageously thick mattresses. I was actually guided away from the thick plush mattresses to a very conventional looking mattress. It was a surreal experience for a "salesman" (actually the owner of the place in this case) to say "you don't want that $2000 mattress, what you want is this $1000 mattres." His catchphrase was "I sell sleep, not mattresses." Or something like that.

They don't "stock" mattresses but will make anything on the floor for you, and will customize one of those if there's something you don't like about it, like maybe you want it a bit softer or firmer. They are not a component mattress, but if you are not happy with it, they will remove the ticking, make an adjustment, then re-attach the ticking. This is where I learned the "trick" to making a coil unit more firm by adding a layer of fiber mat on top. I tried two mattresses that were otherwise identical and it really made the mattress more firm with the same coil unit.

An interesting story was that of  600 lb man that came in looking for a mattress that would last for more than 6 months. The owner said it took a couple of iterations but they were able to make this man a bed that has held up, so far, for a couple of years.

I believe Verlo is a sort of "franchise," where each store is privately owned, but they all use the same materials to build their mattresses. I believe the guy I talked to said he had been there for 29 years. I can understand why. Really a pleasant, no pressure buying experience. I felt bad I was just wasting the guys time, but I was his only customer and it was getting near closing time so I didn't feel too bad.

Recent Posts