Upper/Mid back pain after sleeping on new mattress
Jul 13, 2012 9:56 AM
Hi,

About three weeks ago, I bought both a new mattress and new bed.  The mattress is a Sealy Posturpedic Proback Olympus.  Here are the details of the mattress, taken directly from the website:

PROBACK CoreSupport Center:

• 2.5-cm (1-in.) PROBACK™ stabilizer pad
  • 1.3-cm (0.5-in.) PROBACK CoreSupport Center™ featuring ProGel memory foam
  • PROBACK™ support insulator

Plush comfort quilt layers:

• 3.8-cm (1.5-in.) super soft StayTrue™ foam
  • StayTrue™ fibre

Plush deep down comfort layers:

• 2.54-cm (1-in.) super soft high density StayTrue™ foam

After about a week of sleeping on the new mattress, I started getting upper/middle back pain.  It feels like it is right along the spine, near the bottom of my shoulder blades.  When I first lay down on the mattress, it feels firm, but comfortable, but then I wake up in the early morning from the pain.  In the past, I have never had problems with mattresses.  I've had sleepovers at friend's houses with no back pain.  In my first year of uni, I had to sleep on a very thin mattress in residence, and that gave me no problems.  I've slept on a futon for several weeks over Christmas with no problems...

Anyway, I tried a number of things to improve this, because the pain has gotten worse, and has started waking me up.  First, I tried sleeping with two soft, folded-up blankets underneath me.  This worked for two days, then the pain returned.  I tried adding support to the bed frame by reinforcing the middle support bar with some textbooks - this worked for two days as well before the pain returned.  I've tried sleeping in different areas of the mattress - middle versus side, and this also gave me pain relief for two days before it returned.  Yesterday, I put a 4-inch thick layer of memory foam on my mattress, and had a good sleep, but suspect that in a day or so, the pain will return.

I am totally stuck for as to what to do.  My dad doesn't think that the mattress is the problem, he thinks it is the bed.  I am able to return the mattress, but I have no idea what sort of mattress to exchange it for.

Please help :(

Recent Posts