update/reviews requested on Costco adjustable memory foam bed
Jun 1, 2011 12:41 PM
I read a good post from last year where someone had purchased the Costco adjustable split king memory foam set and am hoping someone can provide an update or additional reviews of the bed which is the Sleep Science Emma 10" visco as well as the experience with the adjustbale base. Since a year has passsed those owners should now have a good amount of experience with it but I am sure there are also others that own the set or at least the mattress.

Costco's return policy is outstanding so there is not much financial risk - just inconvenience. I am thinking of buying a Tempur but figured I should at least try this out since it is significantly less costly and they will take it back if I don't love it. With that said, saving money on a piece of junk still leaves you with a piece of junk. the reviews on Costco are excellent but I am always looking for more.

I purchased a memory foam set based on well over 1000 mostly glowing reviews from Wal Mart last year (Spa Sensations as I recall) and it was absolutely too good to be true. The reviews were unbelieveabe - and there were so many of them - but at the end of the day we got a king sized brick once it expanded and it was a pain in the neck to return since I had to lug a King sized mattress downstairs and strap it to the roof of my wife's Lexus SUV. While I didn't lose out financially it was definitely an inconvenience. I am getting ready to have another instance as I will return my current Sealy Posturepedic Barryton model when the new one comes - I don't care for it either. Luckily it can be returned but unfortunately it came from the local Costco and not mail order so I have to do the returning myself - it's simply a pain in the neck no pun intended. If I had to return the adjustable bed it would be less so since they will come and pick it up but it's still a nuisance.

I look forward to hearing from some existing owners - especially those who have owned it for some time. Details posted below.

Thanks!

============================================

The Sleep Science adjustable base combined with their 10" visco memory foam mattress is the perfect sleep system, transforming your bed into your sanctuary. The Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam Mattress with adjustable base is not only designed to provide you with an exceptional sleep experience, but it  provides you with unsurpassed comfort for reading, watching television, working on your laptop computer, or simply relaxing on the pressure relieving, body conforming comfort of a visco memory foam mattress.  Adjustable beds are redefining how all ages relax and rejuvenate for optimal health.

Adjustable Base:

The adjustable base is made of re-enforced steel and slips easily into an existing bed frame or can be used as a stand-alone bed. It features one of the quietest motors on the market and a sleek, stylish, streamlined design. The adjustable base also has a massage feature that is available on the head, feet or both. The wireless remote has a simple design with large raised buttons and is backlit for ease of use in the dark. 

The adjustable base has 3 pre-programmed positions on the wireless remote control: 

• Zero Gravity (ZG): The ZG position, allows you to press one button and the bed automatically elevates both the head and feet for a feeling of floating suspension and cradling comfort
  • Reading: The reading position automatically lifts the head in order to sit up into a reading position
  • Flat: This feature allows you to press one button to return the mattress to a completely flat position 

Memory Foam Mattress:

Enjoy the therapeutic comfort of a visco memory foam mattress with the Sleep Science 10” memory foam mattress.  The mattress has 3” of Sleep Science premium visco memory foam comfort layer with medium/firm support. It also relieves pressure points with its top layer of visco memory foam, yet supports body weight with its supportive base foam. 

This 10-inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offering 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress. It also features a 2-inch air comfort layer in the middle of the mattress. The air comfort layer is made of an enlarged cellular material to allow the flow of air between the top and bottom layers of the mattress to neutralize the temperature of the mattress as it absorbs body heat. This ensures optimized comfort throughout your sleep experience. The mattress is covered in a soft velour jacquard fabric.  

Adjustable Base:

• Standard King size features two individual Twin XL mattresses side by side
  • Bed frame not included; headboard and footboard brackets not included
  • Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633 – Federal flammability (open flame) standards
  • Fits into most bed frames
  • Can be used as a stand-alone bed
  • Covered in camel colored micro-suede fabric
  • Super quiet motor and operating system with power down system
  • Wireless remote control, with back lighting and three programmed positions
  • 3 pre-programmed positions (Zero Gravity, Reading and Flat), positions can be adjusted manually
  • Massage feature for head, foot or both with three levels of intensity
  • Operating mechanism and electronics UL tested
  • Removable 5” legs
  • 1 year In-Home warranty service warranty
  • 2 year parts only
  • Limited lifetime warranty on mechanism
  • Vertical height of adjustable bed with mattress - with legs: 26”, without legs: 21”
  • Split King (2 Twin XL) overall dimensions:
    76” W x 80” D x 21” H (without legs)
    76” W x 80” D x 26” H (with legs)
    Weight:  300 lbs
Re: update/reviews requested on Costco adjustable memory foam bed
Reply #1 Jun 15, 2011 5:15 PM
scbtx - I'm considering this mattress myself and trying hard to find reviews here. will update if I end up buying it and let you know how it feels
Reply #2 Jun 22, 2011 6:07 AM
My local costco had this bed on display. They had a big display in the middle of store showcasing a bunch of online items. It was a big coincidence since I was really looking into buying this bed. I had a tempurpedic, the original one about 10 years ago. When I got married, I switch to a bed bought at costco. So the wife and I were thinking the same thing, if the bed sucks, just return it, since costco will take it back. We're so glad the bed was on display. The bed is harder than any tempurpedic bed I ever tried. We really wanted to like the bed but instantly it was a no. It's very light too, not dense at all. The wife tried the bed for 30 min and we were glad not to have ordered it.
Reply #3 Jun 12, 2012 9:15 PM
We looked at a variety of memory foam split-king mattresses with adjustable bases, ranging in prices up to almost $10,000.  The Costco Sleep Science product was a little over 20% of that cost.  We took a chance.

There was an issue.  Some of the reviews indicated that the mattress was on the firm side, and we found that to be the case.  We purchased two inch memory foam toppers to soften up the bed and that has worked out extremely well for us.  We are very pleased and the cost differential was huge.

Recent Posts