Think we are going Latex, recommendations for our size? Vendors? Builds? Where to test them out?
Sep 5, 2012 1:04 AM
Hello folks.  I did a bunch of research around here months back but kind of put it off until now as we had to find a place to live to actually use the matress.  

From what I have gathered I realized I was over my head when it comes to beds.  Ive had two beds for most of my life, they were both pretty horrible and my current matress bows horribly in the middle.  This of course causes back pain for the fiance and myself.  Thus durability and longevity is very important.  Im willing to spend decent money on a latex if I know I won't have to replace it in 5-10 years and it wont be bowed and deformed. 

I believe I want 100% Talalay blended latex.  That seems to have a semi consensus as far as value and holding up over the years, and returning to form faster than memory foam after movement.  We also want a King size, eastern as well.  The fiance isn't too particular about layout or layers, she doesn't believe so at least, as she can pretty much sleep anywhere.  I am a pretty big guy, 6'3 265.  She is about 5'7, 125.   I sleep mostly on my back and some on my side in recent years, mainly because my bed is so bad.  This has helped ease up the back pain.  We live in West Michigan and I seem to have little luck when it comes to matress vendors around here knowing much about latex, nor being able to find some for me to test out something similar at least.

I do know about foambymail and sleepez and have read various reviews about them and threads here. 

So I have some questions:

1.  Am I making the right choice as far as composition, 100% talalay latex?  Do I want a bottom layer/firmer layer of dunlop? 

2.  What kind for firmness, ILD, setups should I get?  The firm, medium, soft seems to be mentioned a lot but I am not sure how to find out if a soft top layer is "too soft".  Nor do I know how specific I should get at each layer.

3.  Where is the best value?  Am I going to have to go FBM?  SleepEZ?  Should there be anything local that should be comperable?  Maybe something I can at least test out?

4.  Do most covers, say at FMB or SleepEZ, fit any size/build?  Outside of a cover (wool seems to be the go-to) is it a no-no to put anything else on top of it?  Does it affect breathability and or negate the benefits of the latex?  Do sheets go below a cover or on top of it? 

5.  We will also need a foundation, slats seem to be the recommendation, best price/value on that?  Will any slatted foundation still sit just fine inside of a bed frame set that we may get down the road?  I am not sure how all that works out.  Right now I just have a matress, bed spring, and that sits on a metal frame. 

6.  I am also worried about temperature.  I like to go to sleep "cooler" and put on sheets/blankets as I warm up.  Will latex be too warm?  Will a wool cover will that not be an issue?

7.  Can I expect 10-20 years out of this?  I see some of these places have 20 year warranties (SleepEZ).  What does that entail?  Just workmanship and defects?  Does it entail wear and tear?  Divots or bows in the latex in time?  Is that even a worry with latex?

Thanks for any help guys.  The most I have ever spent on a bed was like $400, so this is a major upheaval in my train of thought but I really want a good investment that is comfortable for the future for the fiance and I when we move in together.

This message was modified Sep 5, 2012 by JSK23
Re: Think we are going Latex, recommendations for our size? Vendors? Builds? Where to test them out?
Reply #21 Nov 20, 2012 11:30 AM
Glenbury wrote:>>

>>I would like to know how successful these man made layered beds are.. and how long they actually last for the dollars spent?

Good question to ask.  I have $2000 invested in my Queen 3x3" blended LI Talalay Latex mattress and platform.  I spec'd and bought the mattress... the cover will last a very long time... the Latex has a 20 year manufacturer warranty and can be replaced.  I designed and built the platform for $400... it will last a lifetime supporting any type of mattress and has a ~14" clearance for underbed storage.  This bed sleeps fine and it is successful.

>>The only reason I post on here is to make a person think about what they are doing..

Some of it reads as unsubstantiated skepticism, forewarning inevitable failure and with a touch of ridicule... not informed, not useful, and not helpful, imo.

>>I do believe the guy will buy a bunch of layers and end up with just that a bunch of layers of foam or latex that will not have any real support in the end....Just sayin..

Possible, but Latex foam rubber ranges super plush to super firm and can be very supportive.  Even super plush can feel extremely firm and supportive to a light/distributed load.  The 14-44 ILD firmness range is manufactured to be suitable for mattress applications, and it is.

GK
Re: Think we are going Latex, recommendations for our size? Vendors? Builds? Where to test them out?
Reply #22 Nov 20, 2012 5:30 PM
Gk...   I have no doubt  the platform you made will outlast your latex... would love to see them make good on that 20 year warranty...   Different experiences by different consumers..!!  
Reply #23 Nov 20, 2012 9:51 PM
Glenbury wrote:

GK...   I have no doubt  the platform you made will outlast your latex... would love to see them make good on that 20 year warranty...   Different experiences by different consumers..!!  

I view the warranty as more an indicator of service life than a recourse for service.  We'll see.

GK

Reply #24 Nov 22, 2012 12:52 PM
Im going through a similar process guys looking to buy latex mattress online. Alot of vendors are offering me a cheap spring mattress but I just dont think they are comparable. Can the spring mattress work as well?
Reply #25 Jan 2, 2013 10:36 AM
OP is back!  We put off the new bed post-wedding over a potential job switch, moving out of state, but now the bed is back on the radar.  A few more questions before we finalize things, hopefully we order this week or next.

1.  Moving.  If we do move out of state, just how hard are these SleepEZ mattresses going to be to move?  Recommendations on a how-to?

2.  The nomad bed slate frame on Amazon.  I don't see a lot of mentions of latex on the customer reviews on that product page.  Is it coming to be supporting enough for latex?  Are the slats too far apart?  I saw some complaints about the center "seam" of the bed and it rising, but others say that has been remedied in later builds.  Anyone with experience with that?

3.  Are there other slat frames we should consider within a $100-200 of the Nomad?

4. Currently, after talking to the sleepez guys they say firm, medium, soft layers for the wife.  And for me, extra firm, firm, and medium.  They come with the wool cover, then we just need to pick out a pad to put under the sheet.  Recommendations?

This message was modified Jan 4, 2013 by JSK23
Reply #26 Jan 2, 2013 10:08 PM
In my opinion an all Talalay is over kill, it is fine for a layer but all is a waste and will not last as long as Dunlop IMHO.
This message was modified Jan 3, 2013 by a moderator
Reply #27 Jan 3, 2013 4:34 PM
based on what exactly?

Also, I have some concerns about the Nomad bed option from World of Futons.  Mainly regarding support.  One, what are the distances between the slats, but horizontally and then the center seam.  Everyone says that less 3" is a must.  Ive contacted the manufacturer and hope to hear back.  Two, I am a bit worried that it may bow in the middle as there are no middle support beams.  A King latex is what, 150-180 pounds?  Plus 390 between my wife and I.  Is a center support leg needed?

*edit* after talking to world of futons, they mention the gaps are 4.25 between the slats and 3.25 at the center.  Definitely seems like a no-no.

What other options should we consider?

This message was modified Jan 4, 2013 by JSK23

Recent Posts