Is there no mattress I can just buy at a local store and be happy with?
Jul 7, 2008 7:48 PM
I've posted before about our trials purchasing a king mattress: in the last 5 years we've purchased two king sized mattresses, each around $1200, and both developed body impressions and lost their support (resulting in getting up in the morning to very sore bodies) within a year or less. We though latex was the answer and purchased a Sealy Reflexion Huntington Beach king, thinking "latex is the answer" only to suffer from loss of support, body impressions, etc. within a year (we found out too late it has a cheap PU top layer that apparently has degraded and lost it's support.)

Now my wife is finally saying she can't stand it anymore - she gets up sore every morning. And to top it off, I herniated a disc in my back last week. So we HAVE to buy a new mattress now.

I"ve read all the horror stories, lived a couple myself now. My wife asked "Why can't we just go to a store, pick out a mattress, buy it, have it delivered, and sleep without pain again?" I tell her about all the horror stories and remind her of our last two experiences (including this one, which we thougt would be different. And she says, millions of people buy the mattresses in the stores, do ALL of them have these problems? Surely there must be something we can buy that will make us happy and won't need to be replaced in 6  months?

If money was no object I suppose the safest approach would be to buy from someone like Flobeds. But with my injured back, I'm not sure I can be putting a bed together, changing out layers to get the right overall feel, etc. Even more, I would have a hard time coming up with the $3000 for a king mattress from them.

My brother, who also has lower back problems, said he bought, at Costco, a Sealy plush Euro Pillowtop, I believe a Posturepedic, under the name Sanford (and I understand the whole name game the 4S's play with their mattresses.) He's had his five years and loves it, says it's the best mattress he's ever slept on. Yet I continue to read how pillowtops are horrible about forming bad body impressions, and how the 4S's use cheap support materials, etc. But how I long for his experience! A mattress he can recommend as the best he's ever slept on, still after 5 years!

So my bottom line question: is there a mattress you can buy at a mattress store or department store, etc. that doesn't cost $3000 and up, that is confortable, won't lose it's support after 6 months or a year, won't develop the deadly body impressions, that a person can be happy with 5 years from now??? As my wfe puts it, something we can just go to the store and buy and have delivered and be happy with?

Weary and frustrated and scared to purchase......
Re: Is there no mattress I can just buy at a local store and be happy with?
Reply #1 Jul 11, 2008 11:09 PM
Just go with something that is well made, firm, and with little foam. Then start experimenting with quality toppers to customize your liking. Someone here said that it is easier to make a firm mattress soft than a soft mattress firm.   As for your back, ask your friends if they know a good chiropractor.  Find someone that you like to get out of the pain that you are in. If you don't like the twisting or popping, there are chiro's that use gentler techniques that are effective but may take a little longer to get relief.

Recent Posts