therapedic latex top with polyeurathane core
Feb 5, 2009 11:28 AM
We are looking at a therapedic mattress. it has a 3" talalay yop with an 8" polyeurathane core. any opinions on this? we have a simmons world class super plush pillow top king that is going to be ruturned under warranty because it is sagging 2" in the areas where we sleep. the store is being very cooperative with us and gave us a credit for the simmons but all they carry other than simmons is therapedic. we have read a lot about latex and think we will be happy with it but we are concerned about the poly core. don't want to make another mistake & have more mattress problems. any info on this would be greatly appreciated. thank you, looty
Re: therapedic latex top with polyeurathane core
Reply #1 Feb 5, 2009 12:25 PM
I'm not as expert in mattresses as many of the posters here, but I'll give my opinion :)

I think you're right to be concerned about the poly core. Polyeurathane (PU) breaks down over time, though to be fair, lots of memory foam mattresses uses plain PU cores. I'd see if there's not a full latex mattress you could trade for instead? Latex will not break down like PU will. Alternatively, you could find an inner spring mattress with good quality tempered springs and as little PU foam or cotton padding on top as possible (since that stuff will break down) and top it with one or more latex toppers to suit your comfort level.

Altogether though, I think the mattress you're looking at would last longer than most mainstream mattresses, and it's certainly better than any Simmons mattress you could buy. So if those are your only two choices, I'd guess you're doing the right thing. Good luck.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2009 by slantedview
Reply #2 Feb 5, 2009 12:44 PM
Thanks for your advice. My options are to trade for a simmons firmer mattress which will reduce my warranty amount. We have $1350 in credit right now and we can't get any cash back, only trade evenly or upgrade. the only upgrade choices are to another simmons which we don't want or to the therapedic which we'll have to pay around 6 or $800 extra. we are kinda stuck, we should have done better research from the begining. thanks again
Reply #3 Feb 5, 2009 3:58 PM
We spent a couple of  months looking at pretty much every inner spring and most every type of foam mattress.  Our ultimate conclusion is that a consumer can't trust the claims of ANY manufacturer and the industry as a whole has branding and model naming strategies that pretty much keep even a determined and savy shopper from even getting close to a smart buying decision so our decision was to buy a new 100% waveless uitra firm extra lumbar supporting watebed mattress and it is, for us, the untimate WOW for comfort, support and deep sleeping.

That said, one of the more comfortable and supportive feeling mattresses (based on 10 minute tests in a store) was the Serta Vera Wang latex mattress.  It is a 100% 6 inch latex core on a 2 inch support base with about six other type form layers on top of the latex core.

This seemed to be a mostly latex at a sort of reasonable price which was $1700.00 at the furniture store we tried it out in.  Frankly, based on manufacture costs of things like mattresses in our opinion they are ALL way, way, way over priced with a HUGE margin between cost and retail price.  That's one reason the waterbed mattress seemed so cost effective @ $300 including shipping and no tax from an online vendor but we have slept on waterbed mattresses for like 22 years so we could be confident that the new models would have enough support along with the firmness we need at our age.

I would not buy an inner spring from ANYBODY - they just don't last and even the manufacturers will say that matresses probably should be replaced in five to seven years tops.  If I was going to buy a foam mattress I would buy latex - more comfortable and durable than tempur-pedic and a LOT less expensive.

Best of Luck

Reply #4 Feb 6, 2009 2:08 PM
we are also thinking of going with a medium to firm bed and then using a quality latex toppper. any thoughts or recommendations on this?

Recent Posts