That pillowtop feel
Feb 2, 2011 2:22 PM
So we all know to avoid pillowtops (because they contain very soft, cheap poly foam that won't last). But, I miss that pillowtop feel! I have a Sleepez 10000 mattress (config below), which is reasonably comfortable and seems to have about the right amount of support. I sleep ok, don't have backaches, but I do wake feeling stiff and a bit sore on my "bony" places. But the main thing is, it isn't cushy like a pillowtop. I've tried all sorts of toppers (memory foam, wool, feather bed, etc) to get that feel, however some of them were less than high quality, so I am not sure if the failure was due to quality or material. My latest attempt was 1" of "soft" latex from Sleepez. But their soft is ~ 23 ILD, which would be quite firm compared to say the supersoft 14 ILD latex you can get. So I am thinking of replacing the soft latex with supersoft latex. Alternatives would be a high quality convoluted foam, or the Dormier wool topper. Does anyone know if any of these would feel pillowtoppish? Or do I need to use cheap poly foam for that feel? Thanks...

My current mattress config. I added a 1" talalay latex topper to the standard 10000 mattress (its in the cover with all the other latex), so I have (top to bottom):

• 1" soft talalay (23 ILD)
  • 3" soft talalay (23)
  • 3" medium dunlop (31)
  • 3" firm dunlop (39)

Other toppers I've tried

1. Memory foam doesn't work for me, starts too cold and hard and ends up too hot and soft
  2. Feather bed felt good at first but compresses too much
  3. The convoluted foam I tried must have been cheap or defective; it broke down very quickly and never was very comfortable
  4. The Cuddlebed from Costco may have helped some but the outside layer was so much fuller than the inside that it felt off-balance to me.
  5. Wool may work; the topper I tried was pretty thin and was backed with a firm lining that made things feel firmer to me. The St Dormier sounds a lot fluffier.

Yes, I know I'm picky smiley

Steve

Recent Posts