Tempurpedic "Cloud" Mattress???
Dec 30, 2009 10:22 PM
Has anyone tested the new Tempurpedic Cloud series yet?  It looks like a slightly softer version of the Deluxe series, which is the one we were originally favoring.  The reasons we're leaning towards a memory foam mattress are:

1.  Our last two pillow top mattresses have been busts, as I have a bad back and constantly wake up in pain.

2.  Because I wake up in pain, I am constantly tossing and turning, which in turn wakes my wife up.

3.  90 day trial period is a great way to hedge your investment

Re: Tempurpedic "Cloud" Mattress???
Reply #52 Apr 15, 2010 3:29 PM
They don't seem to provide detailed specs on exactly what latex is used.  The blends, natural vrs synthetic, ILD, layers, thickness of layer, etc. 

I would personally prefer a bed where I can customize each layer, and each side.  SleepEZ, Flo, whatever.  And one that I know exactly what type of latex is used.  Knowing that I can get that level of customization and and detailed information means that I just wouldn't considering shopping for anything less.  If that wasn't available to me, then I would consider a retail bed like that as long as I found it be to really comfortable.

Reply #53 Apr 15, 2010 4:36 PM
Ginger, the problem with that Ashley bed you linked is that it is not 100% latex.  It's two layers of latex on top of a PU foam base.  A PU foam base will land you with the same problems you had with your earlier mattresses.  You have to be very careful looking at descriptions to be sure what you are getting is 100% latex (if you decide to try that route).

Latex is foam, but it's not PU foam (made from petrochemicals), nor is it memory foam, which retains an impression when you press your hand (or body) into it.

Latex foam is made from the rubber tree and it's quite a different animal altogether.

I would steer away from this Ashley bed,because basically, they are jumping on the latex bandwagon and putting a few inches of latex on top of a cheap foam bottom.  If you buy it, you'll be sorry.

I really think your choices are:

1) A HIGH quality Tempurpedic mattress (meaning Rhapsody model or higher) (not a wanna-be Tempurpedic memory foam mattress from a different manufacturer)

2) A HIGH quality latex mattress, made of 100% LATEX.  Be wary of major manufacturers, such as one of the major S brand manufacturers, or a large furniture company such as Ashley.  They do not carry the same quality 100% latex beds that the independents do.  Instead they put a little latex on top of a cheap foam base, which will not last.

Latex mattresses are a small, but growing segment of the mattress industry in the US.  It is difficult to find a real, 100% latex mattress in a showroom to try one out.  I scoured my area before I found 2-3 places to try one out, and even then, I had to order online to get the best quality mattress.

The best latex mattresses are 100% latex, and the very best ones have a zippered mattress cover so that individual latex layers can be exchanged to suit your own needs and comfort level.

The latex mattress companies that get the most press on this forum are FLOBEDS and SLEEPEZ:

http://www.flobeds.com/

Flobeds has a 90 day trial period during which you can exchange layers or, if it just doesn't work out, return the whole thing.

http://www.sleepezbeds.com/

Sleepez has a trial period (I forget how long - 60 or 90 days) and you can do layer exchanges, but returns are subject to a restocking fee (last time I looked)

although some like SaavyRest:

http://www.savvyrest.com/

Not sure that returns are allowed at all on Savvy Rest.

You should look at these three companies to start, and also do a little research on the differences between Dunlop and Talalay latex.  They are both latex, but the manufacturing methods are different.  Some people prefer Dunlop latex, which (let me generalize here) tends to be denser and firmer - some people who like A LOT of support prefer these.  Others prefer Talalay latex, which is less dense, and "springier."  I'm personally in the Talalay latex camp and that's what my latex mattress is.

The latex beds from Costco and Sam's Club, which I linked earlier, are Dunlop latex mattresses.  The Costco one is less expensive, but the latex is made in China, and the cover is not nearly as good as the cover on the Sam's Club mattress:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=457139&pCatg=6805

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11503486&search=latex%20mattress&Mo=22&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4001713&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=latex%20mattress&Ntt=latex%20mattress&No=6&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1

As far as I know, no one on this forum has purchased the Sam's Club mattress yet, but several have purchased the Costco mattress and been very pleased.  The queen latex bed from Costco is $1000, plus you'd need to buy a foundation, either from Costco or your local mattress store, for another few hundred dollars.

This message was modified Apr 15, 2010 by KimberlyH
Reply #54 Apr 15, 2010 4:50 PM
Thanks BMc and Kim,

I started thinking about that after I looked more at it, I did find the specs, 1" Poly Foam on top, 3" 14 IDL, 2" 19 IDL and a 6" HD Polyurethanene foam bottom. and that doesn't sound like it would be much better like you said. <sigh> I liked the one you have at flobeds.

I'm going to keep researching and thanks again, you guys are really a big help.

Ginger

Reply #55 May 21, 2010 9:45 PM
Just ordered my Cloud Supreme after trying their whole line on a few trips to some local stores. I am a 47 old male that is 6'2" 300lbs with a back fusion. Also I am a side sleeper that often awakes with hip pain sleeping on a eight year old stearns and foster. (back pain is not a nightly issue) So I have read some concerns with this bed for heavier people, so I will update with my experience after I get the first thirty nights on it.

Eric

Reply #56 May 25, 2010 9:29 AM
I know that I am a little late to this thread, but hopefully this will help people who are looking through for some info. I looked at a tempurpedic for a long time before I started actually researching all of the other memory foam mattresses online (believe me, there are a ton of them) Eventually I came across http://www.bedinabox.com/ They have sort of a goofy website, but in my opinion (for the money) they have the best memory foam mattress out there. I got the PacDown mattress in a queen size about 8 months ago and my wife and I have never slept better. They also have a 120 night trial period and a pretty solid warranty. Before you pull the trigger on a tempurpedic, you should check them out.
Reply #57 May 25, 2010 10:09 AM
newguy87 wrote:

I know that I am a little late to this thread, but hopefully this will help people who are looking through for some info. I looked at a tempurpedic for a long time before I started actually researching all of the other memory foam mattresses online (believe me, there are a ton of them) Eventually I came across http://www.bedinabox.com/ They have sort of a goofy website, but in my opinion (for the money) they have the best memory foam mattress out there. I got the PacDown mattress in a queen size about 8 months ago and my wife and I have never slept better. They also have a 120 night trial period and a pretty solid warranty. Before you pull the trigger on a tempurpedic, you should check them out.

What weight and height are you and your wife?

Thank you

Reply #58 Dec 22, 2010 12:37 AM
My fiance and I recently purchased the TP Advantage model and were EXTREMELY disappointed! The mattress was as hard as a rock! We found it very difficult to fall asleep and woke up stiff and in pain, not something I expected from a $2000 mattress. We called TP and were told to place a heating blanket on top of the mattress for an hour every night before we went to bed. Not kidding! But thanks to the 90-day trial period, we were able to exchange it for the TP cloud (with a $175 shipping fee). I really hope this mattress works out for us and would love to hear some good reviews for reassurance that it will improve if we are not initially pleased. Please continue to update your experiences with the mattress. I will do the same once ours arrives.
This message was modified Dec 22, 2010 by mandapb89
Reply #59 Jan 6, 2011 1:05 PM
I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks with a first hand report.  We just purchased the Tempurpedic Could Supreme with adjustable base and it will be delivered next week.  I cannot wait.  We've tried everything to find relief and hopefully this is it.  I never wanted a tempurpedic bed until I tried this one and I think the adjustable base is the secret.  A flat bed is frustration from one end to the other because I need a ton of pillows to get a comfortable position.  With the adjustable bed the minute I laid down I was not wowed but when I inclined the head and feet just a little it made a world of difference in the comfort level and it was shear love.  The true test is sleeping on it night after night.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I almost went with Select Comfort but the reviews are terrible as a whole so I didn't want to chance it.  I'll report back soon!  The Luxe is hard the Supreme is totally different.
Reply #60 Jan 6, 2011 7:39 PM
If an adjustable base is really the "secret" then the Tempur-pedic adjustable base is a really expensive way to go. The Reverie (which they use) is available for much less (over $700 less in a queen from their website prices) at other outlets. Other brands with similar functions could save you even more.

Phoenix

This message was modified Jan 6, 2011 by Phoenix
Reply #61 Mar 5, 2011 2:12 PM
I have the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe - almost 3 weeeks now -  and I can't say that I love it.  I don't know if it is too soft for me - feels good initially - but I wake up with low back and hip pain.  I had the same pain on a 15 year old inner spring mattress but I think it is worse on the Cloud.  I was hoping to find a mattress to alleviate it, not aggravate it!  I have a 90 day trial period so I hope it "breaks in" for me.  Otherwise, it is going back.

Recent Posts