Talalay latex - 2, 3, or 4 layers?
Oct 6, 2007 2:22 AM
I seem to remember a post some time ago which discussed how to decide how many layers to go with.  But I can't find it!  Anyone remember this?  Or can help me out now?  Me - 5'6", 160, side and stomach sleeper.  Husband - 5'10", 170, stomach sleeper.   I definitely like more cushion than my husband.   I'm thinking to put these latex layers on top of our current box spring, whcih seems to be in good condition (and is attached nicely to our iron bed :)  

Also, I'm thinking either Firm or X Firm core - any advice here? 

Susan

Re: Talalay latex - 2, 3, or 4 layers?
Reply #9 Oct 16, 2007 2:35 PM
The Thickness of Latex Cores from FloBeds.com and SleepEZ.com are from 2.8" (for blended latex) to 3.0" (for natural latex) so a 6" core would be like you having two latex cores. I think that would be fine with a topper over a slat box or platform bed.  I would not put latex on top of a box spring since latex needs a very firm solid foundation.
Reply #10 Oct 17, 2007 3:11 AM
Foam Nerd
The flexible slat foundation definitely lets you get away with a thinner mattress. It almost totally eliminates any "bottoming out," even with only a single 5.6" latex core. In fact, the thicker the mattress, the less effect the flexible slat foundation will have, so you won't want to go over about 8". IMO.

The trick with a solid core is getting the right firmness. The benefit of "half cores" is you can adjust simply by changing the order of the layers. I bought an ILD 40 core because I was afraid 44 would be too firm and 36 too soft. In fact, I would have been better served in buying two "half cores," one of 36 and one of 44. That would have given me two choices of firmness: 36/44 and 44/36.

Technically a "core" is 5.6" or 6" thick. This term is also used by Flobeds to refer to what is essentially a quarter core since it's half as thick and half as wide as a full core.

MequonJim and Cloud9, your comments reflect my experience as well. I am sleeping on 38, 38, 32 and it's pretty firm for side sleeping. It's tricky though. On a solid platform I felt like my hips were sinking while at the same time it was too firm for my shoulders. It's a balancing act to get both support AND pressure point relief simultaneously with a foam mattress.
This message was modified Oct 17, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #11 Oct 19, 2007 1:06 AM
Today I stopped by a foam store to try out beds.  They don't have layering systems set up.  They sell the 6" cores + toppers.  They had one bed with only one firm core + padded case and it felt pretty good.  I'd say you could definitely go with just one layer, so long as it's the right firmness for you.  The only thing to keep in mind is that it will be just 6 or so inches high - it looks kinda short, but really no shorter than the old conventional mattresses. 

The configuration I really liked was 1 6" core + 1 3" topper + 1 padded case (wool, muslin, cotton).    It was 100% natural dunlop, and a little on the soft side.  So now I'm debating about whether to go with that, or find a similar Talatech combination, which might last longer.  

Reply #12 Oct 19, 2007 1:34 AM
Foam Nerd
I wouldn't worry about the natural dunlop not holding up. Sears sold latex mattresses in the 60's that are still in use today. Here is a page that shows some pictures of these mattresses and their mattress tags showing when they were manufactured. Click the pause button on the annoying Flash animation at the top of the page.
Reply #13 Oct 19, 2007 5:51 AM
Dunlop latex is very different in feel from Talalay. I slept on a Dunlop for over 20 years. I don't even think it was 6" thick and was sold with a boxspring. Having slept on both Dunlop and Talalay I have to say I really prefer the Dunlop. Talalay can be tricky to configure. Too firm and it can feel like it's excerting pressure on your body. Too soft, your hips sink in. Dunlop on the other hand doesn't share any of these characteristics. I think with Talalay it's absolutely necessary to build a mattress out of several layers of different ILD's. With Dunlop it's possible to get support and comfort all in the same layer.

I can say from experience that Dunlop will last a long, long time. I had mine for 20 years before the mattress started to dry up and slowly disintegrate.

This message was modified Oct 19, 2007 by cloud9
Reply #14 Oct 19, 2007 8:35 AM
suz312 wrote:
 .........and a little on the soft side.

If it felt a little on the soft side in the store, it may not provide enough support for a full night sleep.  Your muscles probably did not fully relax when you laid on it in the store.  If you buy this, make sure you can swap it out for a firmer mattress in case you wake up with soreness due to lack of support after a full night sleep.
Reply #15 Oct 19, 2007 11:02 AM
Foam Nerd
cloud9 wrote:
Dunlop latex is very different in feel from Talalay. I slept on a Dunlop for over 20 years. I don't even think it was 6" thick and was sold with a boxspring. Having slept on both Dunlop and Talalay I have to say I really prefer the Dunlop. Talalay can be tricky to configure. Too firm and it can feel like it's excerting pressure on your body. Too soft, your hips sink in. Dunlop on the other hand doesn't share any of these characteristics. I think with Talalay it's absolutely necessary to build a mattress out of several layers of different ILD's. With Dunlop it's possible to get support and comfort all in the same layer.

I agree that a single core of latex cannot be both supportive AND soft. Perhaps for a front or back sleeper it could work, but not for a side-sleeper. IMO.

In order for any foam to accomplish this feat, I think it would need to be soft on the top and more firm toward the bottom. I don't know how dunlop latex was made in the 60's, but one of the things I read over and over about dunlop latex is that the heavier particles sink to the bottom. I have only a layman's understanding of this, but I can see how this cwould make dunlop more firm on the bottom. I also suspect this is highly variable and it may not be wise to over-generalize this being a characteristic of all dunlop latex. Depending on whether a company felt this characteristic was desirable or undesirable, they could possibly alter their process to maximize this characteristic or minimize it.

Talalay has a uniform density throughout the foam and therefore in order to simulate this soft-on-the-top firmer-on-the-bottom feel, it must be layered.

This is just my own "theory" as to why dunlop latex might feel different than talalay.

There are companies who still swear by dunlop latex. I have been guilty of assuming this was due to availability and price rather than a choice based on quality, but it may relate to this hard to quantify aspect of "feel."
Reply #16 Oct 19, 2007 5:25 PM
Thanks for the info on Dunlop.  Now I'm leaning towards going with it, although I was hoping not to spend quite that much - ~$1000 for just the core.  I would step up the firmness to firm topper on top of x-firm core.  Their display was medium topper on x-firm core. 

Is anyone familiar with mattresses.net?  They're offering just the core for $600.  It's Talalay, 60/40 synthetic/natural.  Anyone buy from them before?  I wonder where they get their mattresses from.

Reply #17 Oct 19, 2007 8:54 PM
Foam Nerd
suz312 wrote:

Is anyone familiar with mattresses.net?  They're offering just the core for $600.  It's Talalay, 60/40 synthetic/natural.  Anyone buy from them before?  I wonder where they get their mattresses from.

I have not done business with them but they have crossed my radar for the simple fact that they sell solid core mattresses and their prices are good. I spent $900 on a Cal King Talatech core, and this was a very good price. FoamSource wanted over $1100.

Remember, there are only three companies which manufacture talalay latex at this time, AFAIK, and as far as Dewey at FloBeds or Shawn at SleepEZ are aware. It won't be long before we start seeing Chinese talalay latex mattresses, but this isn't happening yet. There is Latex International of course, Dunlopillo in the UK, and Radium in the Netherlands. SleepEZ.com has some information on each of these companies. Talatech may be the best, but his customers that hail from Europe swear by Dunlopillo according to Shawn.

Dunlopillo has been in business since the 1930's. They invented the talalay process in 1946. They were the first to produce an all natural talalay.

Radium is a subsidiary of the Vita Group, an international company with over 8000 employees. They list 18 brands of mattresses on their website that use their Vita Talalay latex. They have manufactured talalay latex since 1961.

I don't really see how you can go too far wrong purchasing talalay latex even if you don't know who makes it, because they are all good.

A picture from Radium's website. They do some kinky fabrication.

This message was modified Oct 19, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #18 Oct 19, 2007 10:46 PM
Thanks again Hayes for your very helpful info.  Do you think I could go wrong buying a Dunlop mattress?  May I ask where you got your Talatech Cal King?  That is a great price for the Talatech.  I was pretty set on getting a Talatech core, before I came across this Dunlop core at this foam store.  It was so comfy!  Maybe I should go with a Talatech core, and add the 3" topper and padded case from this store. 

Now, trying to compare apples with oranges ~ do you think a 100% natural Dunlop x-firm core might equate in firmness to a Talalay firm core? 

Recent Posts