Suggestions on Purchase of New Latex Mattress
Jun 18, 2012 2:53 PM
I'm interested in buying a king size latex mattress.  I don't know where to start as I've been looking at so much information on the internet and it gets confusing and from site to site I find what seems to be conflicting information.  I'm 5 feet and weigh 115 pounds and my husband is 6 feet and weighs 240 pounds.  I'd like to know what firmness of latex to buy for us and what type of latex to buy dunlap or talalay.
Re: Suggestions on Purchase of New Latex Mattress
Reply #1 Jun 18, 2012 9:32 PM
You want a mattress that can be customized so one side is firmer than the other. Start looking for that feature.

Reply #2 Jun 19, 2012 11:29 AM
Greeneyes wrote:

I'm interested in buying a king size latex mattress.  I don't know where to start as I've been looking at so much information on the internet and it gets confusing and from site to site I find what seems to be conflicting information.  I'm 5 feet and weigh 115 pounds and my husband is 6 feet and weighs 240 pounds.  I'd like to know what firmness of latex to buy for us and what type of latex to buy dunlap or talalay.

This thread may help you get started.

He may like 28-36-44, or similar, but you may want something more like 24-32-36.  That's 3x3" layers.  There's also 4x3" and 2" on 6" combinations, etc.  I would do some reading first, and then ask a Latex mattress shop expert for their opinion.  You may arrive at build you can modify at home by swapping layers around.  3" King cores will be easier to handle than a 6" King core.

GK

This message was modified Jun 19, 2012 by GKDesigns
Reply #3 Jun 19, 2012 5:59 PM
SoSleepy wrote:

You want a mattress that can be customized so one side is firmer than the other. Start looking for that feature.

I agree with this.  There are many on-line companies that sell them this way.  Sleepez, Flobeds, Custom Sleep Designs, mattresses.net (Arizona Premium Mattress), Sleeps Like a Bear (SLAB), who have good reputations for selling a quality products and a complete mattress with both sides being different.  You can use the search function to find more about them or search for the city that you live in. 

Reply #4 Jun 19, 2012 8:32 PM
I can only recommend you doing a good deal of research and start laying on some of these latex beds..I have had one bed after another once I started searching for the perfect bed.  All the people on this site are actually building their own beds with layers of this or that.. it is ridiculous.    I had a latex and it lasted 1 1/2 years and then it bowed across the center, it was a great bed by Sealy but be wise to get a firmer one than a softer one.  You can always add a soft topper to a firm one but you can never add a firm topper to a soft bed underneath you.   I think the mattress world has literally gone insane with the amount of choices out there and no one really seems happy with any of them..It's overwhelming to just shop for a mattress today.  In the past 7 years I have had 5 mattresses and 4 of them became defective and were replaced by the Company..  I have shelled out much money to find a decent mattress that will get me through one night of comfort.  I haven't found it yet.  Presently I am back into a coil mattress that has a firm top..but tried the Memory foam.. it was a quicksand money pit, and I didn't find another quality latex out there to justify me spending mega dollars on again.  At this point with the money I have laid out in the past several years I have decided to just buy any old mattress out there that is 1000 or less and deal with it until it goes bad..I doubt there are any mattresses out there today to give you a full 10 years even..Good luck and buyer beware of the myths and sales pitches that get the mattress in your home..Read Read READ all information out there on whatever you decide on and then go back and make sure you are in love with the mattress before it leaves that store..  My condolences to you shopping...
Reply #5 Jun 23, 2012 11:00 PM
My recommendation is to find a store where you can look at some latex mattresses and try them out for at least 15 minutes.  Different vendors have different ideas about the words that describe firmness such as "plush" or "firm".  It's more precise to use the ILD number to compare firmness among different mattress makers.

I went thru a learning curve when I bought my unit.  I believe you can put the right mattress together for your needs with an overall mattress height of 8" or 9".  If you get the right firmness for each layer you shouldn't need more that 2 or 3 layers.   Latex bedding can get real expensive due to the cost of processing the latex.  However you don't need to spend 3 or 4 thousand on a bed to get a comfortable mattress.  I would recommend that you talk to Arizona Premium Mattress (mattresses.net) as they can advise you on a mattress with different firmness on each side.  They have some of the best prices for this type of bed.

I purchased a queen size do-it-yourself mattress from an ebay vendor at a lower price because I wanted the bed to have the same firmness on both sides. The vendor is mattresses247.  She offers low prices as she uses blemished talalay latex.  The blemishes do not affect the comfort or durability and after you install the mattress cover, the blemishes can't be seen.  I also liked the savings as I was able to get the mattress with a knitted cotton encasement for under $900.  It's the most comfortable bed I've ever had and it really improved my quality of sleep.  See http://stores.ebay.com/mattresses247?_rdc=1

Latex lasts longer than polyurethane foams.  The owner of Arizona Premium Mattress put a video on YouTube showing a 50 year old latex mattress that came into his shop.

See  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjfQqDGJ1gI

It's not a good idea to mix poly foams with latex in your mattress as the poly foams will not last very long compared to the durability of the latex.  Some of the S brand mattress makers add latex foam to a steel innerspring to produce a hybrid of both types of bed.  The latex does not benefit from sitting on top of steel springs.  Latex will last a lot longer than the innerspring and I see no reason why there is a need for springs in a latex foam mattress.  I would recommend talalay process latex as it's more durable than latex made by the Dunlop processs.  Most of the latex foam you will find in the US today is talalay made by Latex International.

Dunlop Rubber of England developed the process for making latex foam for pillows and mattresses.  Dunlop sold the rights to the use of their name and their manufacturing processes to several different latex processors in Asia.  These companies are licensed by geography.  All use the word "Dunlopillow".

Reply #6 Jul 16, 2012 1:56 AM
Since you've mention that,i'd like to talk an exotic experience when i traveled to china.
It was last year.I went on a guide tour to ShenZhen,a city in south china.The plane was delayed for a few hours.When the plane landed we were all tired.I took a cab to the hotel reserved by the tour agency.Expecting to have a sound sleep,I unloaded my luggage and had a bath quikely.
After that, i laid myself to the bed.To my surprise,it was the different mattress from the one i usually use.But it felt comfortable.Even more comfortable than i've ever felt.Since then when i was getting tired on the tour i would miss that bed.It kept me company during that travel.
At the end of that tour i asked the manager what mattress was.Told that it was  a latex mattress,I became to have a clue  of that stuff and know that the latex mattress won't cost much.

This message was modified Aug 3, 2012 by a moderator
Reply #7 Aug 3, 2012 2:43 PM
Latex is a dense bedding-product that is generally available in the 4-5 lb/cubic foot density.  I'm 6 feet and weigh 98 pounds and my wife is 5.5 feet and weighs 90 pounds. I get live support at Drsnooze Mattress store and find the king kil contour response essence firm latex for my bedroom.

Alex

Reply #8 Aug 3, 2012 5:40 PM
Alexjohn, I"m a little confused. You're 6 feet and weigh 98 pounds and your wife is 5' 5" and weighs 90 pounds?

Your post from yesterday:

alexjonn

Memory Foam Mattresses
Original Message   Yesterday 2:35 pm
I am 6‘3“, 210 lb. and mostly a side sleeper, some elevated back. My wife is 5‘6“, 130 lb. and mostly a back sleeper, some side. Any thoughts on a possible layer configuration using memory foam mattresses?

Alex

You and your wife became quite skeletal in the last 24 hours.surprise

This message was modified Aug 3, 2012 by DoreenA

Recent Posts