Suggestion to raise up Latex/Memory Foam on Platform Bed
Apr 19, 2008 1:05 PM
Hi All,
I sure would appreciate some suggestions from you knowledgeable folks.  We have a latex/memory foam mattress that is encased in a zipped up mattress cover that we purchased from Marks Bedding in Orlando around 5 yrs ago, we had this mattress on fake box spring (two xl twin - since the mattress is a king)   The box springs have broken and we purchased a new platform type bed - it has around 20 slats, but unfortunately the mattress sits too low in the platform bed.  Does anyone have any suggestions how we can raise the mattress up by around 5"  We could buy two new fake box springs locally but that would cost around $300.  My husband said we could buy another piece of thick foam, but I am not quite sure where to buy this and if this would make the bed too soft to add more then what we already have.  Our mattress consists of  28 ILD 3" Talalay Latex, 2" Foamex Resilitex, 4" Viscoelastic Memory Foam - the memory foam is on the bottom because I was finding it too hot.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Re: Suggestion to raise up Latex/Memory Foam on Platform Bed
Reply #2 Apr 20, 2008 12:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I am not looking to raise the bed frame, I am looking to raise the mattress in the frame by around 4".  The mattress sits below the beds wood sides.
Reply #3 Apr 21, 2008 12:46 AM
If you get latex cores, make sure they are not less than 44 ILD or your mattress will feel softer since it was on a box spring.  Also if you are not allergic to chemicals (which seems to be the case since you can sleep near memory foam and I can not), maybe find a place that sells manmade latex or polyurthane cores that can be cut in any thickness and ILD you desire.  Also you can look for a solid top type of box spring.
Reply #4 Apr 21, 2008 1:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.  Although I've had my custom made bed for around 5 yrs I don't know a whole lot about it.  When you say make sure the the Latex Core is 44ILD do you mean keep the memory foam on the bottom as it is now (I'd rather keep it as far away as me as possible) then maybe purchase another latex (dun or tal not sure whichever is cheaper) and then my current pieces on top of that?? 

I'm doing searches on the net and calling around trying to find this  44ILD which would have to be either two twins XL or 1 King  and not having a lot of luck.  If there are suggestions where I can purchase this that would be greatly appreciated.

Again thanks for the advice.

Reply #5 Apr 22, 2008 8:22 AM
I think sleeplikeabear.com has 44 ILD talalay.

Recent Posts