Suggestion for cutting and experimenting with foam zones, pillows, etc.
Jan 26, 2008 12:16 AM
IF you have a foam pillow that is too high, or a foam mattress you want to create a zone in, I have found that a cheap electric carving knife, like the kind you can get at Target for around $15, will work great to cut foam. Any kind of foam: latex, memory, or high density foam. If you're cutting a large piece you may want to stop half way through to let the knife cool down before continuing, but we've cut various sizes of 5" HD foam, latex foam, and memory foam with a cheap electric carving knife. Just be careful when you cut through to the bottom not to cut your carpet or floor! If you can put it on a kitchen table and cut along the edge of the table, that is a great way.

You can cut zones if you can find a foam supplier to sell you pieces of your exact specifications.

For example, let's say you have a King size bed and your wife's side is fine but you need a softer foam in the shoulder area. You could cut the top 1/3 or so of your side of the mattress out with a carving knife, then order a softer piece that exact size to replace it. Later, if you want to put it back, you can.

We found that glue is almost never necessary to put the pieces in place. If they are cut right they tend to butt up against each other and stay in place. However, if you want to glue them there is a special spray glue the foam store people use (I could give you the name) and you can use that to glue the piece in place.

Don't know how many people here experiment with their own foams, but 4 years ago my wife and I did many experiments with different densities and types of foam using an electric carving knife. We even cut our own pillows from rectangular pieces of memory foam, turning them into neck support type pillows by cutting curved areas out of them for the head and neck.

We plan to get back into the foam experimentation business soon, so that is why I have returned here to ask questions and share experiences.

Recent Posts