Steer me in the right direction *topper*
Sep 27, 2007 1:52 AM
I recently bought a new mattress and it is too firm for me. I've had it for a month now and I'm waking up with back pain almost every day. The sales person said it just needed to be broken-in to, but judging by how firm it feels that may take quite a while. So I'd like to purchase a topper in the mean time. Preferably something natural since it will be so close to my body, so I'm leaning towards latex. Any suggestions towards a good brand and also a good price would be greatly appreciated! I have 2 herniated discs in my low back and recurrent shoulder pain. I'm a side sleeper so something nice and soft with that marshmallow feel is what I would like. Thanks =)
Re: Steer me in the right direction *topper*
Reply #1 Sep 27, 2007 9:17 AM
None of the latex companies have been smart enough to package and brand their latex toppers.  That being said, the most recommended manufacturer on these forums is latex international.  Probably any talalay latex in a ILD of low 20s or teens will give you a very soft feel.  I just wonder if you will sink right through that type of softness and still feel your firm mattress underneath.

You can do an internet search for "talalay latex topper" to find sellers.

If you want latex international as the manufacturer, look here:

LI

When you go through that list, you will realize there is only one full service internet retailer of LI toppers .  A pretty sad state of affairs.

Other brands are more prevalent in the marketplace.

Good luck to you, and let us know how this works out.

This message was modified Sep 27, 2007 by MequonJim
Reply #2 Sep 27, 2007 9:40 AM
Foam Nerd
Google for "talalay latex toppers"

Here are a handful of websites you might try: FoamOrder, FoamFactory, FoamSource, FoamSweetFoam, MemoryFoam, Mattrresses.net, SleepEZ
Reply #3 Sep 27, 2007 11:30 AM
We had the same problem, we went to SamClub. 3 inch 4lb memory foam for $150 for king size. My life is better, because the wife sleeps better. Big difference. But I might get at least a better pound from a good foam maker for a 2 inch foam. It gets fun when making your own bed.  
Reply #4 Sep 27, 2007 3:17 PM
Thanks for all of the websites! So, what weight should I be looking for? Lighter ones equals softer?
Reply #5 Sep 27, 2007 5:32 PM
The lighter the foam, the less durable it is. (generally speaking)  Look for a heavy foam if you want it to last a long time.  This is measured in pounds per cubic foot.

The higher the ILD, the firmer it is.  Look for a low ILD if you want soft.

Reply #6 Sep 27, 2007 8:01 PM
Foam Nerd
With latex, the key number is ILD (a.k.a. IFD). Density is almost never specified, but that isn't a concern with latex because density varies directly with ILD. I saw a graph from Latex International that plotted density on the Y axis and ILD on the X axis. An ILD 20 is around 3.2 lb density, ILD 44 is around a 4.7 lb density. Connect the dots and you have the density for all ILDs in between.

With memory foam, the key number is density. ILD is almost never specified, but varies from around 10 (quite soft) to 15 (pretty firm).

Recent Posts