Stearns & Foster 'Luxury Firm' Too Soft (gah)! What are my Options?
Aug 28, 2010 10:06 PM

Oh dear.

At Sears.com I purchased a Sterns & Foster queen-size Hearthstone mattress, ‘Luxury Firm’, at a terrific price for about $760 delivered (w/10% Sears discount; $127 BING cashback, 18 months 0% financing). It is the lowest priced Sterns & Foster model, the ‘Level H’ mattress and it felt great when I tested it in the store. I also demo’d this same Stearns and Foster ‘Level H’ in Luxury Firm at Sleepies and Macys. I was sure I found the right mattress at the right price. Firm, supportive, and comfortable.

I took delivery and I’ve had the mattress for 28 days. I have only two days left to decide what the heck to do. Help!!

I’m a slender 47 yr old male, 5’11’, 135lbs. I have a curvature in my lumbar region and also a herniated disc and get frequent lower back pain. I've had back issue since I was a teenager.

The mattress feels much softer and squishy on top than I recall the floor models being, and it’s just a little too plush for me. It’s just bearable if I sleep on my side, for now. If it softens up even just a little, it will be way too soft and a big problem. As is, it’s too soft for stomach sleeping. I need something a step or two up in firmness.  The problem is the next step up in firmness in the Stearns & Foster line is their ‘ultra firm’ and from my memory it was as hard as a board.

With Sears restocking fee and pickup fee on returns (I’d lose $200 returning it!), I decided to try exchange it for the S&F ‘Firm’ mattress and if it ends up being too firm, I’d get a topper when finances allow. Unfortunately, S&F only offer two firmness levels in this mattress, a Luxury Plush and Luxury Firm. Period.

I’m reading the mattress surgery threads, I’m a handy guy but it seems like a drastic measure to slice open a brand new expensive mattress. Plus, if I did that, how would I make this mattress slightly firmer? 

Stearns & Foster does have an ultra firm mattress but only at a more expensive level at least $100 more. And that would be for a stiff as a board mattress that was very uncomfortable to me in the store. I’d likely have to spend another $200 for a topper and no guarantee that would make it soft enough.

As for other brands, I didn’t like mattresses with the springs tied together as the entire surface moved like trampolines. I like the pocketed coils.

Any suggestions?

Re: Stearns & Foster 'Luxury Firm' Too Soft (gah)! What are my Options?
Reply #20 Aug 30, 2010 11:23 PM
Hi Gasman,

With a limited budget, and many folks confirming that your expectation of buying one that you will both like.. and last any length of time is out of the question... I recommend that you find the stripped down solid Sealy posturepedic from the reserve line.  736 better coils on the reserve line, and without the expensive foam, will be cheaper.. both of what you want.

It is terrible plowing through Sears.com's abysmal search engine but I found this at sears.

Sealy Posturepedic Theory Firm Queen Mattress Only

It has 736 tempered 14 gauge coils.. good.. should last.

Minimum layers of crap foam to go bad.. on which to lay your latex.  Wore out before finding this with box spring, but hopefully you can get this or something close in budget... and with two x one inch of talalay latex (start with just one inch, 20 ILD).... maybe we can get you into the luck out zone.  Given that you have a similar sleep pattern and back situation as I do, you will not likely want much more than 2 inches at $90 each anyway.  Or experiment with the cheap foam I have experimented with budget constraints?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM240649799P?prdNo=31&blockNo=31&blockType=G31

Or search www.usmattress.com for models and excellent descriptions of what is inside, and ask Sears for a comparable model to which they can point you?

Good luck,  gotta fade.

shovel99

This message was modified Jun 7, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #21 Sep 2, 2010 6:01 PM
Lovegasoline wrote:

InsoManiac, thanks for the tip, I'll swing by ABC and check out their mattresses. Where else in NYC would have a diverse selection other than the major dept. stores and Sleepys? 

I'm guessing all the foam mattresses will be beyond my budget. 

If you're still shopping, you could look at Keetsa at 69 Mercer in Soho. They sell an innerspring mattress that uses latex comfort layers instead of P/U foam, as well as several memory foam models. I've never been in but they look like good products on the website, and aren't too outrageously priced.

Reply #22 Sep 2, 2010 6:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up InsoManiac. I took your advice and visited ABC yesterday to look at their latex mattresses.  I gotta run, but will post my impressions later. It was eye opening, especially getting an extensive perusal of the Coco Mat mattresses ... their modular adjustable approach is an intriguing solution and has also opened my eyes to the possibilities of a DIY bed. 
This message was modified Sep 2, 2010 by Lovegasoline

Recent Posts