Spa Sensations from Walmart
Jan 16, 2010 5:07 AM
So I'm in the market for a new mattress. Went to sleepliketheblahblah.com and checked out the stats for memory foam mattresses and found Spa Sensations to be a top rated brand for a really great price. Now I read through the reviews and the negative one's say that its too firm and its like sleeping on a carpeted floor.  Now there are not alot of these negative reviews but I tend to focus a lot of time on the negatives when I'm buying things.

I've read on the forums here, that a firm bed is good and that comfort is achieved by the toppings. This formula works in my head for this Mattress but I wanted to ask your opinions on this Mattress. I've searched and found that  Spa Sensations haven't been discussed to much in these forums and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. Is this an OK purchase or would there be another direction I should go with.

Thanks
Jyo
Re: Spa Sensations from Walmart
Reply #1 Jan 16, 2010 9:52 AM
Yojyo wrote:
So I'm in the market for a new mattress. Went to sleepliketheblahblah.com and checked out the stats for memory foam mattresses and found Spa Sensations to be a top rated brand for a really great price. Now I read through the reviews and the negative one's say that its too firm and its like sleeping on a carpeted floor.  Now there are not alot of these negative reviews but I tend to focus a lot of time on the negatives when I'm buying things.

I've read on the forums here, that a firm bed is good and that comfort is achieved by the toppings. This formula works in my head for this Mattress but I wanted to ask your opinions on this Mattress. I've searched and found that  Spa Sensations haven't been discussed to much in these forums and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. Is this an OK purchase or would there be another direction I should go with.

Thanks
Jyo

please dont give your money to walmart...there has to be a better way

plus, if you want foam, get the 10 inch sleep science from costco, i had it and it was wonderful, was called Emma when i got it...
Reply #2 Jan 16, 2010 4:09 PM
Is this more about your hate for Walmart or the quality of the mattress? I'll check out the Costco Mattress. Thanks!
costco 10" v. Walmart 12"
Reply #3 Feb 12, 2010 12:14 AM
Now, I'm still compiling research, so consider that when I give you the following information... but according to my searches, (and I assure you, when i buy something that's over $100 I take my time) the differences in the Costco mattress and the Walmart mattress is as follows:

Costco:

NovaForm is essentially Sleep innovations, they've been around a few years and appear to sell primarily to Costco customers.  I have a pillow my mom bought there several years ago that I adore.  That being said, I'm a big girl, and I need true support to hold everything where I need it, and the NEW SI products seem to be FAR softer than I would prefer.  I'm guessing thats because theyre attempting to compete in the innundated market (just my guess) so they use the cheaper less dense foam.  Now, if you prefer soft, it appears the mattress thats best is either the sleep SCIENCE mattress at costco, or the spa sensations mattress (8") at walmart (assuming youre like me and looking in the $500 range not in the several thousand dollar range).

The pros about costco are the excellent return policy, as of feb/10 they take it back from now till eternity.  Now, being a loyal and very loving costco member id NEVER sleep on it and return if 5 years later... but that brings me to a giant negative.  I havent read any reviews for the sleep science mattress, so im not sure on that company, but the sleep innovations (novaform, firm mattress) has apparently got a history of not actually contacting you for warranty service, so i figure you just assume there ISNT a warranty on that particular product.

so, in a nutshell:

pros: return policy, both firm and softer seem to be around $500+tax, and the firm (novaform) appears to be about $50 cheaper in warehouse, but you have to get it home.

cons: from my research it appears the warranty is nice on paper, but worthless in reality, and if youre heavier it seems that particular mattress sags after only 1-3 years, and MAYBE 4 years if youre average/ligher weight.

Walmart

The walmart product is from spa sensations, who has actually ranked up there quite steadily with the other foam mattresses (shocking i know, im not the biggest walmart fan, but sometimes you just HAVE to spend money at the beast).  They seem to do quite well for heavier people (the 12" anyway) and they seem to hold up fairly well, (for a knockoff memory foam) with some people giving reviews of several years consistant use without any problems, and just a couple people have complained of sag/depressions within a few years.  now the complete opposite can be said for the 8" much softer spa sensations.  apparently that one is super soft, therefore it tends to wear faster (DUH!). 

pros: the 12" seems to be the firmest by far (good for me) seems to have the most long term positive reviews, and is $100 less than the costco firm version.

cons: some feel its too firm, feels like a board excetera, and the return policy is 90 days, not indefinite.  also, i cant seem to pinpoint how long the warranty is... either 5 years or 10.  the users say 5 years, the walmart associate says 10 years.  id say try to call the warranty/manufacturer "zinus" if youre really interested and figure it out.

personally, im leaning heavily (no pun inteded) towards the mattress that can easily hold me, without the extreme sagging.  from my limited research it seems the costco SI has managed to get about 50% of people unhappy after about a year, and the other 50% seem to be happy for several years, whereas the SS from walmart seems to have a much higher long term success with only a couple poor reviews after a year or more.  also note that theres only about 40 reviews TOTAL of the novaform, and around 600+ of the spa sensations.  and even with that review base, which is significant, the walmart bed has fared better professionally, and consumer reviewed.

as i side note, the tempur pedic mattress is supposed to have an IDL of around 5.7, which lends to its durability, and the walmart mattress (12" SS) has about an IDL of 5, so essentially, thats as close as ive seen to the tempur pedic mattress.  now, being not a huge fan of walmart ive searched, and this mattress ONLY seems to be available through them.  so... if youre truly opposed to walmart, it would appear that youre stuck with costco ;)

Hope this helps and it isnt TOO long! :)  and if you dont believe me, i urge you to do your own research, ive only been at it about a week... and im still learning!

Stephanie

Reply #4 Mar 3, 2010 11:32 PM
I am a new user and this is by far the most comprehensive comparison between the Costco and the Walmart foam mattresses. Thanks Stepanie for the great review. I think I am leaning towards the Walmart one as I read more reviews and do my research. RA
Reply #5 Mar 4, 2010 4:03 PM
I just got the Costco/Sleep Science 10" Emma memory foam mattress yesterday and slept on it for the first time. I weigh 130lbs and mattress on day one is great so far, but slightly softer then I had presumed. But that may be because this is my first experience with memory foam and also I was not using a mattress cover/protector yet, which should make it a little firmer.

But boy was it comfortable coming from an old s-brand mattress that was sagging. Especially good for side sleeping as my hips were no longer digging into the coils.

Recent Posts