Soft vs. Firm - or Will The Cushiness Save Me?
Jun 17, 2010 10:44 PM
It's so true, what they say about comfort being an individual thing. I've had my SleepEZ bed for almost a month  now, and I'm finding I'm not who I thought I was!

I thought I liked a firm, supportive mattress, with a little bit of cush. I thought I needed a firm mattress because I sometimes sleep on my back and I'd heard firm is better for that. I thought too much cushiness would do horrific and irreversible damage to my back. I thought that since I am not tiny, I needed a firmer surface to hold me.

So, when I ordered my bed, I was a bit worried that one each of firm/medium/soft layers would not work for me, but I went with it anyway. I've tried every conceivable combination of these layers, including using only two at a time. The soft ones felt great to me, but I kept thinking "I'm gonna regret this, it's going to destry my back!" I called SleepEZ and told Shaun I thought I needed to exchange the soft or medium layer for a F or XF. He was worried that an exchange would not make a difference in the way it felt, and asked me to try one more thing, only two layers, soft over firm.

The first night of that was great! I woke on my back in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and was able to get right back to sleep. The next night was OK. The next several days I had horrible mid/lower back pain. So I went back to medium over soft over firm and I have slept so great the last week and wake painfree (pretty much). I can't really sleep on my back this way, but I guess that's OK.

I'm keeping notes about this journey cheeky now, and will also try the other config. that felt good to me, soft over firm over medium. But I've got a question: is there any reason I should expect to experience back pain or even some kind of damage after some time with a soft mattress? Would I gain anything by exchanging the medium for a F or XF, or should I just keep it the way it is?

This message was modified Jun 17, 2010 by cynicaljones

Recent Posts