Sleepez vs flobeds: am I missing something?
May 26, 2009 9:26 AM
I am thinking about purchasing a latex mattress and have narrowed the choices down to these two companies...I think.  But I am somewhat confused about the price and want to make sure I'm not missing something.  One company is considerably cheaper than the other, and, as far as I can tell, the products are the same.   I've read on the forum that they are both reputable companies, but I don't understand the price difference.  Can someone help me out?  Thanks!
Re: Sleepez vs flobeds: am I missing something?
Reply #9 Jun 10, 2009 3:20 PM

SleepEZ - 13000 - E KingFlobeds - Posture Deluxe - E KingComments
Price $                    2,095.00  $ 2,549.00+ 119 shipping Flobeds costs $573 more, at the moment.
Core materialsLatex international blended Talalay, not labeled by the manufacture.Latex international blended Talalay, labeled by the manufacture.I give this one to flobeds considering the additional assurance that you received what you ordered
Core componentsApproximately 3" each layer, 4 layers.Approximately 3" each layer, 3 layers. One 2 inch convoluted latex foam layer.Since the comfort factor is subjective I will not comment, but Sleep EZ is providing a thicker core with more latex.
Height13"11.25"Not a major consideration unless your existing sheets or furniture will work better with one or the other.
CoverCotton quilted to wool.Organic Cotton quilted to Organic wool.It appears that all the Flobed models come with the organic mattress covers, this would be an upgrade for SleepEZ, but with SleepEZ being cheaper, at the moment, I conclude that this is not an advantage of Flobeds. Flobeds website is confusing, most pages do not indicate that the blended latex models come with the organic cover, but the actual product page does?
Comfort adjustment90 day one layer exchange. Seller pays outgoing shipping. Buyer pays return shipping.90 day exchange. Buyer pays shipping.Flobeds appears more liberal but does not disclose that they pay outgoing shipping.
Return

90 day full refund, buyer pays shipping.

90 day full return, buyer pays shipping.

Comparable

Warranty

20 years, 10 full coverage, 10 pro rated. Buyer pays shipping. Exceptions apply.

20 years, 10 full coverage, 5 at 50% coverage, and 5 at 25 percent coverage. Buyer pays shipping. Exceptions apply.

Comparable
90 day price guarantySleep EZ has not had sales on the high end mattresses, and generaly has a lower prices than Flobeds, but does not offer a price guarantySales change monthly but they provide a 90 day period of adjustment, if the price decreases.I don't like idea of the price changing monthly, but they make up for it with the 90 adjustment policy. 
GoodwillAppears to have ok reputation online. Recently noted issues with visual and perceived inconsistency in latex used for split cores. No national media exposure or other validation of product. I have read about two people that visited both stores and bought flobeds. Good customer service.Appears to have a good reputation, and national media exposure/recognition. Appears to have more sophisticated operation. Good customer service. Flobeds appears to have better exposure and more well known.

After considering the comparison above, the biggest issue pushing me towards Flobeds is the lack of manufacture labeling on the Sleep EZ latex layers. It appears difficult to differentiate between types of latex and manufactures with the naked eye, which means through error or deliberate substitution they could provide something other then what you ordered.  Additionally, it leads me to believe that they are cutting the layers from cores at their facility as opposed to the manufactures facility, which would mean they re-grade the layers. The recent review noting consistency issues highlights this potential problem. Also, if you include the cost of upgrading to the SleepEZ organic cover the price difference drops to about $439.  The comparison includes assumptions and subjective observations if you have additional information or corrections please let me know.

Update: I purchase the SleepEZ 1300 and some of the layers had manufacture labels that indicated it was LI foam.

This message was modified Jul 12, 2009 by orange606
Reply #10 Jun 10, 2009 9:44 PM
After my three price adjustments with one of the adjustments being a free pine slat box that I had paid for, my FloBeds turned out a little less expensive than the SleepEZ but I logged in each day to check out the sale prices and immediately wrote a quick email to let Dave & Dewey know they should credit my credit card. Then SleepEZ had a restocking fee and I only knew people who owned FloBeds so I did not want to take a chance on having to return the bed and pay a restocking fee.
Reply #11 Jun 11, 2009 11:03 AM
According to Sleepez.com's suppliers page: http://sleepez.com/suppliers.htm,
they state they use multiple suppliers for their blended latex.  This might explain their range of ILDs since
they can't tell you who the manufacturer of your latex will be and hence the exact ILD. 

Are they removing the labels prior to shipping to the customer????
Reply #12 Jun 13, 2009 11:18 PM
bubka, That would bother me if SleepEZ is removing the labels before shipping. If I was them, I would keep the labels on the latex cores especially since they already mentioned that they buy their latex cores from various suppliers.
Reply #13 Jun 14, 2009 12:03 AM
I'm writing in connection with the original question, not the new developments, so pardon the interruption.

We just decided on FloBeds instead of SleepEZ because

1) FloBeds seems more chatty and open; for example, you don't know as much about the cover material w/SleepEZ

2) SleepEZ's all natural (ie, not blended natural/synthetic) latex seems to be Dunlop rather than Talalay

3) all the stuff about the Better Business Bureau on FloBeds' site was very persuasive

4) cute FloBeds website (sorry to admit that, but hey, it matters subconsciously at least)

5) the ability to price-match retroactively (as Lynne just pointed out again)

The total price w/foundation and legs for FloBeds made us both gasp in horror, but we figure that we'd rather know EXACTLY what we're getting instead of guessing, and that kind of assurance is something you have to pay for.

Shawna
Reply #14 Jun 14, 2009 3:41 PM
Shawnamuffin, I feel you made a good choice in buying a bed that you will know what you are getting and you can tweek each side it to get it to be the best for both of you to get a good night's sleep which is so important. Just keep clicking the site and checking your particular bed so you get all the price adjustments. I know you will be happy like I am and many others are. I am in the middle of a deadline so I have to get back to work. But I needed a break as I wait for my client to call me back and this site and my decorating site always gives me the short break that I need. I am only working on a Sunday since there is a NJ tax deadline tomorrow and I want to make sure my clients do not miss the deadline.
Reply #15 Jun 15, 2009 12:56 PM
Thanks, Lynn! We're very excited about the bed coming (should be next Monday or Tuesday), and I plan to do a write-up and picture demo of the installation process.
Reply #16 Jul 4, 2009 2:55 AM
You will NOT be sorry. FloBeds are AWESOME!  Had mine over a year now and would NOT give it up for anything!!
Reply #17 Jul 12, 2009 6:03 PM

I added an update to my previous post after I purchased the SleepEZ bed. I will post a full review after a couple weeks of use.

Reply #18 Jul 13, 2009 9:28 PM
I don't know anything about Sleepez, but having just ordered a bed from Flobeds (after lots of research, thanks to so many folks on this forum), I do need to rave about their customer service. I'm a tough customer, and I've never seen anything like this. I now see why Dewey (the sales manager who is the owner's son) is a legend on these boards.. He spent a good amount of time with me and agreed to customize the bed to meet my specs (mattress zones, bed legs, etc.), going well above and beyond as though it were the most natural thing in the world. It's clear the customer comes first for them, and that's reassuring for a purchase as important as one's bed.

I'll try to post an update once I get the bed, as I've found it super helpful to hear folks' experiences after they've had their bed for a while.

Recent Posts