Sleep Science Ara Foam Mattress at Costco
Feb 7, 2009 1:41 AM
I couldn't find much information online about this mattress, but since it was from Costco I decided to give it a shot. I figured I'd give a little review of it so far since no one seems to have purchased one so far.

The mattress is currently on sale for $1099 (queen size, normal price $1399) including foundation.

These are the specs from Costco:
  • 13” pillow top mattress fits the dimensions of your bed
  • Limited Warranty: 20 years
  • Cover is bamboo fabric consisting of three layers.  This fabric is 300g/m2, the percentage of bamboo is 40%, nylon is 40%, polyester is 20%.
  • Cover top layer: 100% bamboo fabric
  • Middle layer: 100% nylon
  • Bottom layer: 100% polyester. 
  • Micro-suede cover sides are 100% polyester
  • Mattress core top layer: 3 inches 5-lb visco foam, 11-13 IFD
  • Second layer: 3-5/8 inches 5-lb visco foam, 11-13 IFD
  • Third layer: ½ inch air barrier
  • Fourth Layer: The Wedge Patented Edge Support System
  • Base layer: 6” Air Channel Base, dual density, dual IFD, relief cut urethane core
  • Queen mattress dimensions:
    60” W x 80” D x 13” H
    Weight: 196 lbs.

This is my first all foam mattress (previous was a "S" spring bed with a 3" foam topper) and so far (three nights) it has been fantastic. I'm a big guy (280lbs 5' 9") and really haven't had any problems sinking into all that foam (side and stomach sleeper), although it is a little harder getting in and out of the bed!

The mattress seems high quality and feels similar to the Temper-Pedic I tried. So far it doesn't sleep too hot for me.

Avoid the matching foundation. It comes fully assembled and is made of steel with plastic panels for support. While it works, I'm concerned about the cheap plastic support panels. For the price (about $200 extra for the matching set) I feel you can do better buying a foundation locally.

Delivery consisted of two large boxes, one for the mattress and one with the pre-assembled foundation. The manufacture date on my mattress was November 2008.

Assembly was easy, although the mattress alone weighs in at 132 pounds! After removing the plastic it only took about 30 minutes for it to fully decompress. Thankfully, the mattress is sealed in the zipper cover at the factory before packing! I thought I was going to have to install the cover myself! They make a big deal about the cover being made of "bamboo" fabric but it seemed just like a nice and soft cloth cover to me. You need to make sure that the cover doesn't get soiled or the bed warranty is voided!

Darren
This message was modified Feb 7, 2009 by dkcs
Re: Sleep Science Ara Foam Mattress at Costco
Reply #24 Jul 5, 2009 12:31 AM
Thank you for these replies.  By the way dkcs, you're a few months out on your purchase- can you give us a review now?  Thanks
Reply #25 Jul 7, 2009 3:35 AM
So far it's great. Keep in mind that we did add a 3" latex topper to give the mattress a more "springy" feel.

It appears that latex is incorporated into the new Celeste mattress from Sleep Science.

The Celeste 14” mattress by Sleep Science is the perfect blend of body contouring, pressure relieving visco memory foam and therapeutic latex.  This mattress has two inches of 5 lb Visco elastic memory foam as its top layer, which is supported by the next 2 inches of medium latex.  The top two inches of Visco memory foam, offer a plush touch.  The latex provides support with a slight bounce sensation. 

Often, Doctors and chiropractic professionals recommend a sleeping surface that is soft, yet has good support.  By layering our premium Visco memory foam over latex, we achieve just that; the perfect marriage of comfort and support.  The Celeste 14’” mattress delivers a soft, contouring, pressure reducing sleep surface that is supported by the Natural Latex core.  Latex is one of the most resilient, supportive and durable cushioning materials available.  Combine these superlative products with our patented ‘Wedge’ Technology and patent pending ‘Air Channel Base’, top it off with a cover made of a silk blend fabric; a decorative rope cord trim and plush micro-suede sides for a mattress that is as comfortable and therapeutic as it is beautiful.

• 14” Visco/latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed
  • Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633 - Federal flammability (open flame) standards
  • Cover: Silk and polyester blend fabric
  • Decorative rope cord trim and plush micro-suede sides
  • Mattress Core top layer: 2” 5-lb Visco foam, rated 11-13 IFD
  • Second Layer: 2” Latex support layer in medium density
  • Third Layer: 1” Air Comfort Layer
  • Base Layer: 9” Air Channel Base, dual density IFD, relief cut polyurethane core
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Limited Warranty:  20 Years
  • King w/ split foundation Dimensions:
    76”W x 80”L x 21”H (without legs)
    Weight:  265 lbs
Re: Sleep Science Ara Foam Mattress at Costco- Question of a cover
Reply #26 Jul 25, 2009 11:36 AM
My queen just arrived today.  Very impressed with quality & comfort, just out of the package.  The question of a mattress cover has been touched on but not very closely in this thread.  I'm looking at the bamboo cover and, folks, this is slightly more than a sheet sewn into the sides.  I'm very surprised that this isn't removable and washable!  People sweat a quart a night.  The instructions say not to get the mattress moist.  Something seems odd about this design.  In my mind you go get a thin cotton mattress pad to at least keep moisture off the mattress.  If you lay on the mattress with just your sheets, how does the thin bamboo cover handle that?  It has to wick it to somewhere?  To me, over months, this bamboo cover will get discolored and funky just from handling body sweat.  Would really appreciate replies to this.  I really think I got to go get something today before the stores close. 
Re: Sleep Science Ara Foam Mattress at Costco- Question of a cover
Reply #27 Jul 25, 2009 12:05 PM
Well- let me update my post:  the bed just arrived today & it appeared that the bamboo cover *is* sewn into the mattress.  After looking further, I see that it is zippered- in along the *bottom* edge of the mattress, at the foundation.  There are care instructions as follows:

1. Remove zippered cover from mattress or foundation  (my note: well, it's zippered around the mattress, not the foundation)
2. Hand wash or machine wash cover- fabric side only- on gentle cycle  (my note: I'm assuming that when you unzipper, you get 2 separate pieces)
*PVC side is NOT machine washable (my note: they must be referring to the piece under the mattress)
3. Dry on gentle air cycle
4. Do not submerge or soak the foam
5. Foam & PVC side may be spot cleaned with a wet cloth & mild soap or detergent
6. Foam should air dry for 24-48 hours before covering

Well these instructions partially answer my question.  The bamboo cover is washable (how often?), but again, people sweat during the night and I wonder how the bamboo cover deals with that ?  Not supposed to get the foam wet.  Of course South Bay is closed today (Saturday).  Still looking for replies on this- I'll check back throughout the day.  Thanks in advance
Sleep Science Foam Mattress vs. Tempurpedic
Reply #28 Feb 4, 2010 12:09 PM
I purchased a knock-off Tempurpedic mattress last year. Terrible mistake. Our thought was to save money by purchasing a lesser quality and we ended up with a slab of foam mush and nobody to talk to in terms of customer service. We own 3 Tempurpedic mattresses and are going for the 4th (5 years of experience). They are amazing.
Re: Sleep Science Foam Mattress vs. Tempurpedic
Reply #29 Feb 4, 2010 1:22 PM
galtier wrote:
I purchased a knock-off Tempurpedic mattress last year. Terrible mistake. Our thought was to save money by purchasing a lesser quality and we ended up with a slab of foam mush and nobody to talk to in terms of customer service. We own 3 Tempurpedic mattresses and are going for the 4th (5 years of experience). They are amazing.
I agree with your statement.  But I have to ask, 'Why so many Tempurpedics'?  I know people who have had them 14 years with zero problems.  I'm guessing your trying out the newer models?
Re: Sleep Science Foam Mattress vs. Tempurpedic
Reply #30 Feb 4, 2010 1:31 PM
Good_Sleep wrote:
I agree with your statement.  But I have to ask, 'Why so many Tempurpedics'?  I know people who have had them 14 years with zero problems.  I'm guessing your trying out the newer models?

knowing which knock off, name, etc, would be helpful here
Reply #31 Feb 10, 2010 12:24 PM
Hi, Costco is now selling a 10" Sleep Science Queen Memory Foam mattress. Does anyone have any information about this one? Thank you. Jan
Reply #32 Feb 10, 2010 6:27 PM
glowmore2 wrote:
Hi, Costco is now selling a 10" Sleep Science Queen Memory Foam mattress. Does anyone have any information about this one? Thank you. Jan

if it says sleep science emma in the description, i had that one, loved it, for the price....get it, you can always return it
Reply #33 Apr 6, 2011 1:47 PM
These beds are made by South Bay International and sold to resellers. Costco being one of them. I did not get it from Costco and now I am stuck. Here is my story:

I purchased the SOUTH BAY INTERNATIONAL'S (Sleep Science) Supreme 14.5" mattress through a reseller and had it freighted to my home. After a few months while re-arranging my bedroom I tore the cover. I was very disappointed. So, I started the process of finding and ordering one. I contacted SOUTH BAY INTERNATIONAL, who still makes the bed for resellers, and tried to order the replacement for my $2100 SOUTH BAY INTERNATIONAL mattress. At first I was told that the cover was not available. I became irritated and told them that I was going to what I am doing here, let everyone know that South Bay International does not support it's products or customers. I was told to hold one minute and was then forwarded to Diana. Diana at SOUTH BAY INTERNATIONAL promised me that the cover would be in within 8 weeks. So I wait the 8 weeks and call back and speak to Diana again.

This time Diana tells me that she ordered the cover but they did not come in..." they don't make them anymore". Don't make them any more?  I just bought the bed and if I go to the SOUTH BAY INTERNATIONAL website (search in browser) and I see you are STILL making the mattress. It is still being marketed by you but you are not going to help me?  She replied "what do you want me to do? they don't make it anymore!"  WOW...what a rude and uncaring corporation...a bad way to run a business. I pray you do not find yourself in the same predicament I am in at this point. So I felt it necessary to let everyone know how they do business. They no longer will replace the cover for the supreme...who knows when the Ara is next?

Recent Posts