Sleep apnea and other problems
Oct 21, 2010 12:43 PM
I am a mess when it comes to sleep.  I have sleep apnea, hot flashes, and wake up in the night sometimes with hip pain.  Seeing sleep theapist, have mask, but wonder if a newer mattress would also help.  I like a really soft mattress but am not sure if this is the best to use.  Have layed on the softest tempurpedic and it seemed ok but hate to take the plunge if it does retain body heat (as the sales person seemed to indicate).  I run hot and cold during the night from what I assume are hot flashes.  They are getting better with hormone therapy which I hate to do but I need a good night sleep.  When I do sleep, I often wake up feeling like I did not get a restful deep sleep.  Any suggestions on kind and type of mattress?
This message was modified Oct 21, 2010 by Wildcougars
Re: Sleep apnea and other problems
Reply #1 Oct 21, 2010 12:51 PM
Hello Wildcougars,

What is your average AHI?  How long have you been using a cpap?

For me, hip pain is a sign of the mattress not being firm enough in that area.

Many folks cannot sleep properly on Tempurpedics as they sleep too hot.  When even their salesperson is telling you it has heat issues, I would not further consider a Tempur.  If I were you, I would spend some time reading the posts on this board, you will get a good education on mattresses and form a much better idea of what to get and what to avoid.

This message was modified Oct 21, 2010 by Angel
Reply #2 Oct 21, 2010 1:25 PM
My pressure is on 9.  I just find that when I try a mattress at a store, the firmer ones are just not comfortable and thus gravitate towards a soft one.  Do firmer ones take getting use to?
Reply #3 Oct 21, 2010 1:46 PM
Hello Wildcougars,

I was asking what your AHI is.  If you don't know what that is, I highly suggest that you read all that you can about sleep apnea.  Because if you aren't getting good cpap therapy, no mattress in the world is going to help you.  You may want to check out http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html .  It is a great forum, and again I advise that you spend many many hours reading the posts on there so that you can get a really good understanding of what you are dealing with, and how to best help yourself.  This is of vital importance to your health, do not rely on your sleep "therapist".

If you AHI is too high, then your cpap therapy isn't doing you any good, and you are not going to get any restorative sleep no matter how many hours that you sleep.  It could be that your mattress is too soft, as indicated by hip pain, and that you would be much better served by a firmer mattress.  But if your cpap therapy isn't optimal, that could easily be 99% of your problem.  And contributing to more serious health problems down the road.

For most people, a firm mattress isn't going to result in an "ahhhhhhh" type of feeling when lying on it in a showroom.  Who doesn't like that 'sinking in a cloud' type of feeling?  But that doesn't mean its going to support your spine all night long, in fact, it might be a good indicator that it will not.  Whether a firm mattress takes some getting used to is probably a subjective issue.  For me, it doesn't take more than a few days to adjust to a new mattress, assuming its suitable for me in the first place.

Reply #4 Oct 21, 2010 1:57 PM
What kind of mattress do you have and what don't you like about it?   You might be better off trying to work with it (toppers, etc.) instead of buying new.  Most of the major "S" brand mattresses out there are not well made anymore.  The foam will go bad after a few months.  So, I would think it through clearly before you jump into something new (as many of us have learned the hard way).
Reply #5 Oct 21, 2010 3:30 PM
Thanks for the replys.  My ahi was 27 and is down to 6 or 7 which my sleep doctor says is normal.  This poses another question.  I am a highly sensitive person.  Would this 6 or 7 times an hour waking me up and thus not good sleep.  My sleep therapist has help in me sleeping longer stretches but no restorative.  Yes I should investigate more.  Like most people it seems I have little time to do things for me.  And no, right now that is not an option to change my life.  Well I guess we all could do that but I am looking after my father who has dementia after my mother passes away.  At this point, I can not put him in a nursing home.  I am really off topic now. 
Reply #6 Oct 2, 2017 5:28 AM
Hello Wildcougars,
I was suffered from same problem, then i use Titanfit mattress X30. It infused with 30 times more AquaMetal technology, not only helps you sleep better but also speeds up relief from body pain; and recovery from backache and injuries while sleeping. Titanfit mattress uses Urethane foam – a high quality, natural foam that is resilient enough to adjust to the contours of your body. This type of foam also provides breath ability and is highly durable. It can be used as an overlay over your regular mattress or on its own as a futon.
This message was modified Oct 2, 2017 by a moderator

Recent Posts