Simmons Beautyrest World Class opinions/reviews
Nov 24, 2010 5:27 PM
Hi all,

Stopped by a mattress dealer outlet and was directed towards a "last years model" "floor model" Simmons Beautyrest World Class firm mattress (but not super firm).  Was shown the price new, somewhere around $2100 apparently and can buy this for around $850.  My intention was to spend around $600, but felt it might be more worth my money to go this route.  Does anyone have experience with this bed?  If opinions are poor, what would you recommend for around $850?

Re: Simmons Beautyrest World Class opinions/reviews
Reply #1 Nov 24, 2010 6:08 PM
I don't think you will find anyone on this forum that would recommend going that route.  We bought one about 2 years ago and after one year it was sagging and hurting our backs.  I will never go back to this type and we've moved on to Latex.  I wish I had found this forum over three years ago and I would have saved myself some wasted time and money.    There are lots of threads here that will be helpful to you.  Search for "Phoenix" and "Budgy", among others would have posted some very useful, educated information.  Don't be too quick to jump on those so-called "deals" you might find.  You also need to post or keep in mind what size and type if sleeper (side or back or stomach) you are, along with your weight, all have to be taken into consideration.  Lots of web sites and even stores recommended. Your location might also help with recommendations.  Just spend about a week reading the threads here and you will possibly "save" your back and money (in the long run).  Good luck.

As far as my opinion of my Simmons Beautyrest World Class mattress, I think they are crap.  You would be wasting your money.  I had to give it away or sacrifice my back for life.  The amount of money I spent on Chiropractors and Physical Therapy more than offset the expense of a good mattress.

This message was modified Nov 24, 2010 by Sall
Reply #2 Nov 24, 2010 7:26 PM
I don't know the model or size you are looking at but ... if someone was actually selling this for $2100 I'll eat a worm. As a matter of fact I'd probably eat 2 worms, a snail, and a caterpiller :)

If someone actually bought this for that price, I'd REALLY like to be their friend in the hopes that they'd throw some of their money at me as well.

A salesman that will lie to you about this will also probably lie to you about anything else that is important to know. I would guess they are either on commission and not doing well, under pressure (as in you better sell more mattresses or we'll have to let you go), influenced by an employer who encourages their salespeople to stretch the truth for the sake of making a sale, or just an outright liar that doesn't care whether what they say is truthful.

Mattresses like this are a low value recipe for buyer's remorse. The Luxury firm has at least 3+ inches of lower quality polyfoam in it and even the extra firm model has 2" not including any memory foam. I would not buy a mattress that had more than 1" in it unless I was absolutely forced to by budget and even then I would make sure it was much higher quality than you are likely to find in an "S" brand or consider it a "throwaway" mattress.

The questions Sall asked are important to post before anything more specific can really be answered

There are (as the previous poster mentioned) many better options than any "S" brand mattress, not the least of which is looking at smaller local or regional manufacturers who will give you much better information about what is in their mattresses and why they put it there ... at a much better value.

The thread before this about the Simmons backguard may be a good place to start :)

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 25, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #3 Nov 24, 2010 8:58 PM
I appreciate the in-depth replies so far!  I am a side sleeper, sometimes stomach, but mostly on my side.  I weigh about 175 pounds.  I live in Portland, Oregon.  My girlfriend is also a side sleeper, weighing about 130 pounds and needs to be taken into consideration.

It seems latex is the popular choice 'round these parts.  I've looked into them, but what I've seen mentioned around here tends to be over my budget.  I'd like to stay around $850, but would consider waiting and saving if a more expensive mattress is truly the best choice.

Reply #4 Nov 24, 2010 9:08 PM
Portland has some wonderful choices in smaller manufacturers. I know this from personal experience since I actually took a trip from Seattle to Portland just to test some of them out. I'll post a little later with a few options but you have some good ones. What size mattress are you shopping for?

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 24, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #5 Nov 25, 2010 12:14 AM
I'm looking for a queen!
Reply #6 Nov 25, 2010 12:57 AM
http://bedcomattress.com/4420.html They make Restonic mattresses (regional maufacturer) and their own line called SleepEZ. They say the SleepEZ name is trademarked but I couldn't find it on trademarkia. The similarity between this and another popular supplier of make your own layered mattresses did make me wonder though.

http://www.parklanemattress.com/cartgenie/pg_locations.asp These are the one's I went to check out. Their factory store is the one in Tualatin and they have all their different models there to try at some very reasonable prices including a 9" all talalay latex mattress for $919 in queen (you would have to pick it up for this price). They have some very good mattresses here and some that are a little different from the ones you will usually see (microcoils in their pillowtop which I found very comfortable).

http://www.mattressfactorynw.com/info.html Don't know much about this one. I seem to remember thay had more information on their site than they do now but they are probably well worth calling.

http://www.mulliganmattress.com/contact.html This is the same mattress that you will find at http://www.kramernaturalmattress.com/ which is owned by his brother. They only make one mattress and it is an 8" all latex for about $1400. They don't have a fire retardent so you would need a doctors prescription to buy it. Although they don't have this anywhere on their website, they have a relative that works for foamex and will order poly layers and will custom make a poly mattress for you if you "insist" on it for the sake of a budget.

http://www.pbmattress.com/products/ This one is kind of interesting. If you phone the number on their site you will get Parklane mattress who bought them out but they have different mattresses on their site so I included them anyway. I haven't had the time to get to the bottom of this story yet. There are a few places that still sell these matresses so I don't know if Parklane will make any of them if you ask.

There are probably more but this is what I had in my list. There are also some good retail outlets that would sell good mattresses other than just "S" brands.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 25, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #7 Nov 25, 2010 9:00 PM
I will definitely be checking these places out this weekend.  Is talalay latex superior to others?
Reply #8 Nov 27, 2010 1:21 AM
Checked out Parklane Mattresses and BedCo today.

At Parklane, we really like the feel of Sawgrass 100% latex mattress set for $999 delivered.  It felt like it provided support, allowed your body not to sink too far into the mattress, and seems like it'll be hard for us to tell when one of us gets out of bed or changes position.  20 year warranty.  $45 extra for frame.  Free latex pillow ($60 value) through the end of the weekend!

At BedCo, they are currently offering 50% off factory direct pricing, at least for the next few days.  We really liked the Restonic Cambridge.  Very, very similar (to us, at least) in comparison to the Parklane Sawgrass.  I tried to find details on this mattress online, without much luck.  It had a mix, a hybrid if you will, inside the mattress - latex, individually pocketed coils and some other components if I recall correctly.  15 year non-prorated warranty.  After the discount, we can have this mattress delivered to the door for $930.

Does anyone have any more information on these models?  Links?  Reviews?  Advise?  As I said above, they both feel very similar to us.  Personally, I am leaning towards the Sawgrass because of the 100% latex and 20 year warranty.  Please help!

Reply #9 Nov 27, 2010 2:46 AM
The sawgrass was the specific reason we went to Portland. You probably already know this but just in case you don't it has 3 one inch layers of 19 ILD Talalay latex and then a 6" base of 28 ILD Talalay latex. It is the least expensive talalay latex mattress that I have seen anywhere (and I've looked at a lot).

The reason I didn't buy it had nothing to do with quality but with it's statistics. The 3 one inch layers were just a little to soft for my makeup and I (and my other half) tended to "go through" them (when we were specifically "testing" for this) and could feel the firmer layers underneath. It probably would have been "perfect" if the 3" were a single layer.

This of course is a matter of personal comfort and choice and if you lay on it and liked it ... it is an amazing value. They also have a "sawgrass special" which has compressed wool in the quilting but it just didn't feel as nice as the regular.

Restonic does have a latex line called Healthrest but the problem is that Restonic is a loose organization of licensees that each make it for different areas of the country and the same models are made differently depending on which one makes it. In some places they have all latex models with no poly and in other areas they put about 2" of poly on the top of their otherwise all latex mattress. This one has some latex on coils and I don't know the exact construction but it would seem clear to me that the sawgrass is "better value" but how you feel on them is very important. They should be able to tell you the specific construction of their mattress and exactly what is in it layer by layer. If I see it I'll post it here.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 27, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #10 Nov 27, 2010 3:13 AM
If you go here (my favorite Restonic manufacturer of the one's I've seen) http://www.clarebedding.com/index.asp?sPage=11#Grand_Palais

and then click on the "view product" link under the Grand Palais collection (the Cambridge is part of this collection) you will see the exact specs of all 19 models they make in this line. None of them are called the Cambridge here but one of them should be similar to what you tried. They all have varying degrees of latex and poly over springs in them but in the case of Clarebedding they tend to use higher quality poly (still not as good as latex of course). Some of them also have some memory foam.

The Healthrest collection made by Clare Bedding are one of the regional versions that are all latex with no poly and they have the specs for them on the site as well.

Phoenix.

PS: I wouldn't worry too much about "specials". While some of them may be valid (very few) and represent a savings over "normal" selling prices, this is the exception. When I looked at the sawgrass I would also have received a "free something" (don't remember what it was but it was probably a pillow as well). It was also nice that Oregon doesn't have any sales tax but I would have had to pay shipping which was quite a lot (hundreds) if you are out of their delivery area. They do have another "connected" outlet though where you can get it shipped anywhere in the country for $999 (Excel distributors) but that is mattress only as they won't ship the foundation.

This message was modified Nov 27, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts