*sigh* Tired of looking...and a few questions...
Feb 19, 2011 5:15 PM
Newbie here who has been lurking for about 2 months reading up and trying to make a decision about a bed.  Here's the story in a nutshell.

Bought a fabulous older iron queen frame - it has two crossbars with a V support in the center of each. and the bed ways a ton, very heavy and solid but I haven't actually put it together yet since I wasn't sure what mattress I would buy.  I thought I narrowed it down to organic latex, but it's super pricey (compared to springs I've purchased in the past).  Still, I deserve a decent long-lasting bed and latex seems to get high marks for longevity.

Now, I travel 45 weeks of the year - yup, in a hotel nearly every week.  You'd think I would have chosen a mattress already!  But no.  My worry is that I'll settle on a bed (sleep ez 13000, or Flobeds Natural or FSF, even habitat furnishings, you name it I've looked at it), pay some ungodly amount like 2500 or more (unglodly for me anyway) and if it isn't comfy I will have no opportunity home to ship it back or switch it out. Literally I will sleep on this bed like 2 nights a week...which leaves me always tempted to just buy cheap and cover it with something like a topper.  What to do?  Also, adding to my confusion now is that  I'm unclear on whether any old box spring will suffice with a latex mattress?  I wanted to try a euro slat but this is an old fashion bed frame with no center rail foot to toe, only two solid metal cross bars with feet in addition to the obvious side rails. 

I should add I'm a "well-rounded" gal - 250 or more 5'6 and just can't seem to settle on what firmness - I hear different things from each of the above mentioned suppliers.  in Maine and unable to test anything similar so far ( and little to no home time to do so).  Start sleeping on side, end up on stomach, prefer pillow-topy plushness in the past but obviously need support for my weight.

Any recommendations welcomed and any info on foundations for latex vs. any other type bed...I got the impression from Flobeds that my frame alone wouldn't work with a euro slat foundation. 

I'm exhausted reading reviews and all the switching of layers that people end up having to do makes my head spin...I would love to just enjoy this bed when I'm home.  Should I go cheapo or invest and take my chances with latex?  Anyone make a down bed?  I am ready for a down nesting experience...that seems ideal to me.

Thanks one and all. 

Re: *sigh* Tired of looking...and a few questions...
Reply #1 Feb 22, 2011 12:00 PM
why overspend unless you are the type that is only happy when they overspend? if you are never home it hardly matters what you buy. I would purchase a  mid-level standard queen bed with a pillow top, test them at Sleepy's or Mattress Giant, write down the firmness and the number and type of coils.

Then go online to Macy's, US Mattress, etc.  and compare firmness (relative because range will be different) and number of coils. You won't find the same bed names, thats how the industry avoids price comparison, they rename everything per retailer.

If you purchase a closeout with free delivery  you should not pay more than $900 .

Recent Posts